Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:56:24 PM
712921 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dubbing VS Subtitles « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dubbing VS Subtitles  (Read 25102 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 11, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »

which do you prefer? I prefer Subtitles. English dubbing seems to take something away from the movie for me. A good example is Fritt vilt(cold prey). I hated it.  however, I found Fritt vilt II with subtitles and enjoyed it much more.

I can think of only one movie that is better with English dubbing and that is The machine Girl. Its hilarious with the dubbing, more so than what would have been with subtitles.

Unless of course they mangle the subtitles like they did with let the right one in   Hatred 

so, do you have a preference?  What movies are made better with the dubbing?

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »

Subtitles every time.

Dubbing is very distracting because you know it's fake and the voices don't seem right.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »

I'll take dubbing.  Usually it's bad, but sometimes it's okay.  I don't like to read the script as I'm trying to watch a movie - reading words while people speak unintelligible sentences just destroys the emotion of it.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 02:29:11 PM »

Most of the time I prefer subtitles.  However, if a DVD has both dubbing and subtitles, I'll probably watch it subtitled first and then the next time I watch it I'll watch the dubbed version to see how it compares.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neville

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »

I try to watch as many films as I can with subtitles. It's a question of principles. You can't make a fair trial of any movie when all the acting has been tampered.

But I have to admit that if the film is in some language I can't speak or understand (say French, or Chinese) it can get a bit unnerving, specially when there's lots of dialogue.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »

It really depends on the quality of the dubbing/subs.

Most of those old sword-and-sandal imports were horribly dubbed.  Yet that's pretty much the only way most of us have gotten to see them.  Maybe the movies are good in their original language but the dubbing certainly didn't help any.  Same holds true for subtitles.

My first exposure to BEAST IN SPACE was through an Nth gen fansub.  The subtitles were pretty well done, much better in certain places when compared to those on the official release.  I've often noticed the same thing with anime.  Fansubs seemed to be a lot better most of the time.

But if I have a choice between one or the other I'll always go with whichever one seems better done.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Javakoala
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »

Subtitles most of the time. I've learned how to pick up the subtitles while watching the actors, so I don't have the situation where you have to pause or back up to re-read the subtitles. I did know one girl who moved her mouth while reading, and she complained foreign films wore her out.

Dubbing on old imported horror and muscleman movies are most of the charm for me. I've actually saw one in original language with subtitles and it just wasn't fun.
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »

I Prefer Dubbing Because Subtitles Can Distract You From What's Going On In The Movie , And Sometimes The Subtitles Go Too Fast To Read

.....And Besides I Always Get A Few Laughs Out Of Old Movies That Are Poorly Dubbed Over
Paquita

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »

I agree that subtitles are superior, but I always get excited when I get the dubbed option.  Sometimes I like to multitask when watching a movie and that's kind of tough when there's subtitles.. and sometimes I'm just lazy. 
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »

Dubbing on old imported horror and muscleman movies are most of the charm for me. I've actually saw one in original language with subtitles and it just wasn't fun.

I'll second that, and add kung fu flicks.  I don't think I could watch a Shaw Bros. movie with subtitles.

As a general rule, I'd say bad movies should be dubbed, good movies subtitled.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 10:06:29 PM »

subtitles. i like to watch foreign movies how they are supposed to be viewed. if they have a dub its almost like s**tting all over the actors acting ability haha.
Torgo

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 11:46:43 PM »

The only movies that I like watching dubbed are old cheesy kung-fu flicks.  Other than that I stick with sub-titles with everything else.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 11:56:36 PM »

Like many here, for me it depends on the type of movie I am watching. If the film is a piece of crap or has about as much cheese as your average pizza, I want it dubbed. If it's a good foreign film, I would rather have the subtitles. Why? for me a film that has been dubbed comes across as cheesy no matter how good a film it might be. The only exception to this for me is anime.
And I do love to mess with the language output on English speaking films. I find it hillarious to hear the Spanish or French translations for some films when the voice sounds nothing like the actors.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 04:19:38 AM »

I'll second that, and add kung fu flicks.  I don't think I could watch a Shaw Bros. movie with subtitles.

As a general rule, I'd say bad movies should be dubbed, good movies subtitled.

I think your general rule is good, but I'd like to add SOME of the Shaw Bros. films actually qualify as good.  Come Drink With Me, for instance, or One-Armed Swordsman.  Both have some legitimately good acting and stories to tell, ones good enough to stand on their own without the martial arts bloodshed.  Of course, once you get to the mid 70s and on, Shaw Bros. didn't put out too many films like that anymore.

Some dubbed tracks are hilarious though.  I was sad my exquisite quality DVD of Five Element Ninja (AKA Chinese Super Ninjas) didn't have the ludicrous english dub when I got it. 

In general though, I do not think dubbing can be a good approximation of the original film, which subtitling can be.  Watching a dubbed version of a film is like watching a 4:3 cropped version of the film, only in many cases even worse.  At best, you're seeing a highly distorted version of the original film.

Any translation will lose a little something, but in my mind at least you're losing a lot more with dubbing.  In particular, you're losing a large chunk of the original acting performance.  Granted, you can't understand the performance perfectly, but some qualities of voice are more-or-less universal. 

I do feel *some* people who prefer dubbing haven't quite gotten the knack for it.  It takes a good while before you can really process subtitling well, in my experience.  I barely see the letters, I almost process it simultaneously with the spoken words on a properly done subtitle job.  But, I've been watching lots of subtitled films regularly for more than a decade, so...
dean

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 07:09:00 AM »

Subtitles all the way, unless it's anime, in which case it's either or [sometimes its just easier, since there's alot of anime that is quite fast paced and you miss a bit with subtitles.]

That being said, what do you think of audio tracks for the vision-impaired, which talks about what is happening.  Why are they always in a British voice? Hilarious!

I watched I think Spiderman with that and it was quite tedious but fun.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dubbing VS Subtitles « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.