Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:29:33 AM
714518 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (2009)  (Read 2158 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 14, 2009, 07:49:59 AM »

This really doesn't belong in the "bad movies" forum, but it doesn't belong in "good movies" either.  If we had an "okay movies" category, it would belong there.  The reason I chose to post it as a bad movie is because I can't recommend it.

On the "good" side:

* The movie doesn't waste much time . . . the hijacking of the subway train starts right at the beginning of the movie.
* Denzel Washington and John Turturro provide good acting performances.  Travolta does too, but in a very over-the-top, "Nicolas Cage" sort of way.   James Gandolfini is also pretty good in a small role as the Mayor.
* The dialogue is sharp and suspenseful for most of the movie.

On the "bad" side:

* The movie degenerates from a decent suspense thriller into a dumb action movie.
* There are way too many coincidences leading up to the climax.
* Even though the acting is pretty good, the characters have very little (what's the word I'm looking for here?) . . . "charm"?  "magnetism'?  "presence"?  . . . I just didn't connect with them . . . I found it difficult to really care about whether the good guys or the bad guys would end up victorious.
* The final scene in the movie is REALLY stupid . . . and makes the NYC Police Department look like the Keystone Kops.  I could hear people in the audience whispering and snickering a bit.

If you want to see this movie, see the original Walter Matthau / Robert Shaw version instead.  It's more fun and more memorable.  I give the 2009 version about 2 stars out of 4.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:09:28 AM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:27:04 PM »

I love the original, and was actually rather upset when I found out they remade it, especially with Washington and Travolta.

I'll probably see it when it his DVD. Mostly because I like Tony Scott, who has a knack for making good bad movies. Still, Travolta for Shaw? That's like getting processed beef jerky when you expect steak.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »

I'll probably see it when it his DVD. Mostly because I like Tony Scott, who has a knack for making good bad movies. Still, Travolta for Shaw? That's like getting processed beef jerky when you expect steak.

I can support the last adjective for Tony Scott movies but not the first. His movies make me want to hurt myself in a very emo kid fashion.

Karma for the Travolta comment!!!   BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:24:34 PM »

I read a bit about Travolta's character...  Suffice to say, he is a WAY different character Shaw's was.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:33:51 AM »

No one could play a tired cynical civil servant like Walter Matthau. No one. Plus the original had a small role for Jerry Stiller. As a matter of fact, I think most of those roles in the original went to "New York" actors, except for Robert Shaw of course.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 03:11:43 PM »

The film got good reviews in both the alternate weekly and the local daily, but what they fail to understand, probably because they are too young to understand, the original was a perfectly acceptable film adaptation of the book by John Godey. Thus, what we need is something new. We don't need another retread of something that has already been done and done acceptablely.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »

They actually had the original on The CW the other day.  Boy , everybody in that movie has a mouth on them.  You can't imagine someone in this day and age smart mouthing a guy holding hostages.

I've always loved Walter Matthau.  He makes a great sad sack, world weary character.  Another favorite of mine with Matthau is The Laughing Policeman.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »

I've always loved Walter Matthau.  He makes a great sad sack, world weary character.  Another favorite of mine with Matthau is The Laughing Policeman.

Thumbup I agree.  THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN is one a very good, but mostly forgotten 1970s big-city crime movie.  I bought the DVD as soon as it was released and it holds a place of honor among my 70s cop movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.