Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:47:04 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Slimer « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Slimer  (Read 2674 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: January 20, 2014, 01:36:35 PM »

No, not the green ghost from Ghostbusters. This is a novel written by John Brosnan and Leroy Kettle under the pseudonym "Harry Adam Knight."

A group of British drug smugglers (and one American guy) are doing a dope run when their yacht sinks due to a slight case of explosion. They drift in a life raft for several days before stumbling across an oil rig owned by an American company called Brinkstone. Inside, they find a secret lab filled with high-tech genetic engineering equipment. There's no people, though. There are a lot of empty clothes and abandoned weapons, however...

A little detective work on the part of main character Paul, the most levelheaded member of the group (for a drug dealer, anyway) reveals that Brinkstone was engaged in something they called the Phoenix Project. Their goal was to create a life form which could survive under any conditions. Unfortunately for them, it seems they succeeded. Their test subject was a great white shark the scientists nicknamed "Charlie." Well, now Charlie is intelligent, bipedal and capable of shapeshifting and absorbing the minds and memories of anyone he consumes. And worse yet, he's still aboard the rig...

Making things even more difficult is the fact the group's lone American member, Alex, is a confrontational jackass and a rapist, who is constantly challenging Paul for leadership, and whose behavior is getting worse and worse the longer the group remains in confined quarters together.

Not a classic by any means, but definitely a page turner. And who can say no to an intelligent shapeshifting shark?  BounceGiggle

It was adapted into a fairly watchable movie called Proteus, with the script penned by Brosnan himself. For some reason, though, he made Alex British and everyone else American, and also made Alex the good guy and gave his jerkass qualities to Paul. Go figure.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:40:29 PM by Kooshmeister » Logged
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »

As you described the book I was thinking "this sounds like Proteus. At the very end you confirm the film's origins.

I have been waiting to get a copy of Proteus for a while. I don't think it has been released on DVD yet.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:41:51 PM »

Yeah. I read the novel first, then saw Proteus, and was pretty impressed at how faithful it was (Brosnan's switching the characters' names, personalities and nationalities around for no good reason notwithstanding), and I also loved Craig Fairbrass in the lead role. He was a likable enough guy (the polar opposite of his henchman character in Cliffhanger). And all things considered, Proteus was definitely better than the abysmal Carnosaur, the previous attempt at adapting one of the author's books, which utterly butchered it. Yeah, I know, it's not classic literature, but I think it still deserved to be treated better!

As to Proteus' availability, it's on Netflix. My sister's boyfriend and I managed to find it by chance.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Slimer « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.