Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:01:55 PM
714417 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  My New Aviation Mural « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: My New Aviation Mural  (Read 7293 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 22, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »

Just completed a mural at the local airport. It was a volunteer project I'd been planning for a while. Finally had to put a rush on it, so I could get it on the wall in time for the Century of Flight celebrations last weekend. Just for information, the first powered flight in the British Commonwealth took place in Canada in 1909. My new avatar shows my daughter sitting in a perfect, flyable replica of the plane that is touring around this year.

Anyway, there is about 40 hours of work in this wall. I'm glad I designed it to use only four shades of blue or it would have taken forever. The wall is about 24 feet long. All my time was donated, since I'm a big supporter of the airport and it was also good exposure for me. The local hardware store donated about $250 worth of supplies, and I got a round of applause during the ceremonies on Sunday. Well worth the effort.

You probably notice that it includes planes and pilots from the past and present. I also made sure at least one of the planes was a Canadian model, and that both wheels and floats would be included, since our airport can accommodate both.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:04:18 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:34:25 AM »

It looks fantastic. You are very talented. Im jealous, I cant even draw stick figures.     Smile

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:57:19 AM »

Holy crap, you're very talented Andy!  Looks very nice.   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »

Great looking mural!

Is it in a public part of the airport? That looks to be office furniture around it. Just curious.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »

Great looking mural!

Is it in a public part of the airport? That looks to be office furniture around it. Just curious.

The airport building is pretty small, about the size of a single-story house with a basement. It's got washrooms, storage, the manager's office, and sort of a lounge, which takes up most of the space. It's got refreshments, a microwave, a nice view of the runways, a meeting table and a couple of couches. The office stuff is provided for pilots to work on flight plans, that sort of thing.

The airport is really just starting to blossom after sitting there for about 75 years. There's a group of people who see it as important to the economic future of the area, and we're all doing what we can to make the place a little bit nicer for people flying in. When I worked at the paper, I made sure everything at the airport got covered, and people became more aware. Meanwhile, some of the local politicians are working on getting federal grants for upgrading the facilities. All the activity has actually attracted investment, including a freaking huge hangar that went up last year.

For me, it was a good opportunity to get some work in what will be a prime public location in a few years. At this point, the airport committee is taking help wherever they can get it, so they jumped at the chance, and were grateful enough to just let me do what I wanted. An ideal situation, and it helps me establish myself as someone who can do large public art.

I have no idea who might see that mural. I do know that a few wealthy and well-known people have landed at that airport, including a popular movie star who, from what I'm told, owns a vacation property in the area and flies in a few times every summer. Was hoping he might come through while I was there most of last week, but no such luck.

I'd name names, but the first rule of famous cottagers is you don't talk about famous cottagers, and I wouldn't want to make this guy angry.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:59:39 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »

Great work.  Are you using a photorealism technique with a projector? 
You should be very proud.  Keep up the good work.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »

That's steller,feller!  Cheers

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 07:14:31 PM »

Are you using a photorealism technique with a projector? 

Designed it in GIMP. I cropped and retouched four photos to suit what I wanted, then posterized each of them to four levels, retouched them again and assembled them into one image. Then I made a second image showing the outlines of all the different patches of colour. That I projected onto the wall with a laptop and digital projector, traced it in sections, and started painting. I was going to use a grid to transfer the image to the wall, but I opted for the projector at the last minute. I'm glad I did, since I underestimated how long it would take to do the painting once the design was on the wall. Finished it just in time.

---------------------
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:06:15 PM »

Cool!

One great aviator is missing, though.

flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 03:54:12 AM »

Nice Mural! Are those flyers famous for anything? They look vaguely familiar
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:28:43 AM »

Nope. Part of the job was touching up two pictures of real pilots (nobody famous) so they were unrecognizable. I was going for a classic, yet generic look for both. I think it worked all right. I did have one committee member trying to get me to use real local veterans and turn it into a tribute to specific people, rather than aviation in general. The great thing about working for free is you can just say "no, screw off." Smile

---------------------
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »

Nope. Part of the job was touching up two pictures of real pilots (nobody famous) so they were unrecognizable. I was going for a classic, yet generic look for both. I think it worked all right. I did have one committee member trying to get me to use real local veterans and turn it into a tribute to specific people, rather than aviation in general. The great thing about working for free is you can just say "no, screw off." Smile
Thanks. I gotta admit that is one of the bonuses of volunteering, unless your completely off base nobody really can tell you what to do.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 12:51:33 PM »

I'd name names, but the first rule of famous cottagers is you don't talk about famous cottagers, and I wouldn't want to make this guy angry.

That has a totally different meaning where I'm from, Andy !

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »

That looks great, and from what you describe, you perfectly created the "feel" that you were looking for.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »

that is way super cool. i wish i could paint...you did an awesome job and should be proud...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  My New Aviation Mural « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.