Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:30:00 AM
714434 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PUBLIC ENEMIES (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PUBLIC ENEMIES (2009)  (Read 1257 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:18 AM »

Okay, it's not a terrible movie, but I can't recommend it either.  It falls right in the middle of the "okay, but nothing special category."

I like Johnny Depp, and he was good in this movie, but throughout the movie I kept thinking, "That isn't Dillinger . . . it's Johnny Depp playing Dillinger."  So, my suspension of disbelief never really kicked in.

Besides that, the movie never engaged me in any way.  I didn't care about Dillinger, I didn't care about Melvin Purvis, I didn't care about anything or anyone.  Plus, everyone already knows the ending, so there isn't much suspense.

My advice:

1.  Read the book.  It's great and it isn't just about Dillinger.  It's about several notorious criminals including Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd, Alvin Karpis, the Barkers, Machine Gun Kelly, and Bonnie and Clyde, who were hunted by police and the FBI over a 2-year period.  It also provides a lot of details about the early years of the FBI and how they bungled a lot of cases.  The movie shows a little of this stuff, but leaves out everything about the Barkers, Machine Gun Kelly, and Bonnie and Clyde.  Baby Face Nelson and Alvin Karpis have supporting roles in the movie and Pretty Boy Floyd is in it for about 2 minutes.

2.  If you are interested in Dillinger, watch the Warren Oates / Ben Johnson version.  It's much more interesting and the DVD is cheap.

So, overall I grade this movie about a C+

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »

I agree 100% with Burgomaster.

See it, but wait for Public Enemies to hit the dollar theater.  Don't pay full price to see it.

It's all right but it's just too damned long.  The gun fights are mostly good, especially once they get the BARs.  The 30.06 brass flying was pretty awesome.  There wasn't enough going on to sustain my interest in between gun fights, unfortunately.

Depp doesn't vanish into his role in this movie, like he did with Ed Wood or Jack Sparrow.  I never was able to forget that I was seeing Johnny Depp.  Bale is just sort of there, as usual.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:45:12 AM »

I really liked it.

My major fault with the movie is that it really had nothing to say. I'm in love with Michael Mann's style of film-making. He's like a less inspired Kubrick. Every shot is beautiful, but it doesn't necessarily communicate anything.

I gave it five stars, just because it is such a well-made movie, better than most films these days. However, we don't come to know anything about Dillinger's character (and really, how could we?).

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PUBLIC ENEMIES (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.