Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:36:21 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Teen falls in open manhole while texting, family plans to sue « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Teen falls in open manhole while texting, family plans to sue  (Read 7622 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: July 13, 2009, 10:01:50 AM »

The guys were getting the cones from their truck to block the area.  I hope the judge throws this out.

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/6732

Here's another article about a proposed Illinois law to ban texting while crossing the street

http://abajournal.com/news/proposed_illinois_bill_would_ban_street_crossers_from_text_messaging/

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:05:59 AM by Trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:05:05 AM »

How about, local council sue teen for ruining their sewer...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
3mnkids

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:13:36 AM »

It should get thrown out but probably wont.  Why is every little thing a payday? Its disgusting how litigious we are. She should have been watching were she was going, personal responsibility people..  Lookingup   And the parents should be teaching their daughter to be aware of her surroundings instead of teaching her that her mistakes are the fault of others and looking to cash in on a non existent injury.

I know, im ranting but this stuff makes me so angry not just because it clogs up the courts but because we are raising a nation of I want it now,I want it for free and im not going to apologize for it you are, children..

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »

From the article: "...sewer line workers are supposed to cut off pedestrian access to work sites or at least mark them with warning signs," which implies that they didn't do that in this case.  If that's true, the city was indeed negligent and it won't be thrown out of court.  The teenager was also negligent for not looking where he/she was going, which will cut down on his/her the recovery.  In most states they assign a percentage: for example. plaintiff was 50% negligent so they get 50% of what they would if the city were 100% at fault.  Truth is, this is overwhelmingly likely to be settled out of court, with the city probably paying any medical expenses and maybe a little bit more. 

I don't like suits like this either, but if it's true the city didn't put up any warnings, then the suit is not frivolous under current law.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »

This story just made my year.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »

In many other countries, they don't put up these warnings, and there is no sue the government. People watch out for their own asses.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »

"Can you hear me nooooooooooooooooooooowww?!?!"

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »

I can't even comprehend the mindset where a person could step into an open manhole and blame someone other than themselves for it.  And I have no wish to ponder it.

Maybe I should go and walk into the side of this idiot's house and then sue him for not putting up a warning sign.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 02:08:52 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:52:18 AM »

In many other countries, they don't put up these warnings, and there is no sue the government. People watch out for their own asses.

Name 3. The UK they always blocks off any road works, sewer work.... Its basic health and safety.

Basically the cones should have been placed before the man hole cover was removed. Its basically 100% the cities fault. You can not blame someone for not looking where they are going if normally it would be blocked off with warning signs. Of course it will be sorted out of court and this is one of the rare times I will agree with the victim trying to claim money, considering your healthcare is not free.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA! I wish I coulda seen it! Whatta mo-mo!   BounceGiggle
If they wanna sue-they should sue the doctors that delivered the idiot-mebbe they used forceps on his head.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:14:41 PM »

Name 3. The UK they always blocks off any road works, sewer work.... Its basic health and safety.

Basically the cones should have been placed before the man hole cover was removed. Its basically 100% the cities fault. You can not blame someone for not looking where they are going if normally it would be blocked off with warning signs. Of course it will be sorted out of court and this is one of the rare times I will agree with the victim trying to claim money, considering your healthcare is not free.

Germany and Belgium I know for sure, and I'm sure there are others, especially in smaller countries where they actually expect people to take responsibility for themselves.

You can not blame someone for not looking where they are going if normally it would be blocked off with warning signs

Translation: "I didn't look out for myself because usually, because I demand someone else does that for me."

And you are wrong, I can. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 10:10:52 PM »

Germany and Belgium I know for sure, and I'm sure there are others, especially in smaller countries where they actually expect people to take responsibility for themselves.

You can not blame someone for not looking where they are going if normally it would be blocked off with warning signs

Translation: "I didn't look out for myself because usually, because I demand someone else does that for me."

And you are wrong, I can. .

Hmm ok then I will start digging pits with spikes in, then if anyone dies it will be all their fault. Nice logic...

The person could be doing something else, destracted by nearby events... all sorts of things can destract you from the ground.

I am pretty sure that every country which has any basic health or safety will put up and block off holes in the road which provide risk to the public as well as to workers. Its basic common sense. Those workmen should have correctly done their job. This case will end up either successful or sorted out of court. The city does not have a leg to stand on.

No matter how much you try to assign blame, if the workmen violated health and safety, then the city is in the wrong. With any luck this case will force them to tightern up on health and safety (hopefully).

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »

As much as I revere the idea of personal responsibility, I think both Frogger and Ghouk are wrong.  The city is not 100% at fault, and the teenager is not 100% at fault.

First off, we don't know all the facts here.  But, taking a hypothetical situation where the city failed to warn citizens of an open manhole or rope it off, and a person who wasn't paying adequate attention to his surroundings fell into the manhole, both parties are partially at fault.  The city is screwed, because they were probably required by ordinance (and certainly by their own internal procedures) to put up adequate warnings to protect the public.  They have a standard of care, they violated their own standard, and an injury resulted.

In these sorts of negligence cases, comparative negligence usually applies.  The plaintiff is assigned some percentage of the blame due to their own negligence, and their recovery is reduced by that percentage. 

The city will probably offer to pay for the medical bills to avoid a lawsuit with the possibility of punitive damages.  Hopefully, the teen's family will accept the deal.  That would be a reasonable outcome in my view.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »

Hmm ok then I will start digging pits with spikes in, then if anyone dies it will be all their fault. Nice logic...

Nice straw-man argument. . .

I am pretty sure

Really? Might want to research that.

Its basic common sense.

But watching where you're going apparently isn't. As you say, "Nice Logic..."

No matter how much you try to assign blame

You say assign blame, I say ask people to take responsibility for their own actions.

With any luck this case will force them to tightern up on health and safety (hopefully).

Translation: Hopefully after this, people can continue to go about their own business without taking any personal responsibility, and get paid when someone else doesn't watch out for them as if they were a pre-schooler.

And Rev, you missed my point. I never said the City wouldn't have to pay. My point was that the fact that there's an ordinance shows how little people take any sort of personal responsibility. But quite frankly, as personal responsibility goes up, the need for lawyers goes down.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:29:39 AM by ghouck » Logged

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »

Nice straw-man argument. . .

I am pretty sure

Really? Might want to research that.

Its basic common sense.

But watching where you're going apparently isn't. As you say, "Nice Logic..."

No matter how much you try to assign blame

You say assign blame, I say ask people to take responsibility for their own actions.

With any luck this case will force them to tightern up on health and safety (hopefully).

*sigh*

The kids are arguing again.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Teen falls in open manhole while texting, family plans to sue « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.