Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:36:56 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Leonard, Avery, and me « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Leonard, Avery, and me  (Read 4047 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: April 30, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »

Last year I attended my one and only ever Star Trek Convention.   I had my picture taken with a couple of guys most of you will be familiar with.

Leonard is old and he felt rather frail. He is definitely hard of hearing, and for some reason although he is 24 years older than me has less gray hair than I do.  I had him sign my copy of his book, I am Spock.  The only thing I got to say to him was that I was looking forward to seeing him on Fringe.  They were rushing everyone because he wasn't going to be there very long.

The only thing I can say about Avery Brooks is that he is one tremendously cool guy.  Most people don't know that he is a tenured Professor of Drama at Rutgers and actually taught classes long distance while he was making Deep Space 9.  He took time to ask me where I was from and how long it took to get there.  Then later when he autographed the picture he remembered me and we had a short conversation.

I can't afford to go this year, but wish I could because Shatner is going to be there.  He and Leonard have both said this is their last year to attend cons.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »

Last year I attended my one and only ever Star Trek Convention.   I had my picture taken with a couple of guys most of you will be familiar with.

Leonard is old and he felt rather frail. He is definitely hard of hearing, and for some reason although he is 24 years older than me has less gray hair than I do.  I had him sign my copy of his book, I am Spock.  The only thing I got to say to him was that I was looking forward to seeing him on Fringe.  They were rushing everyone because he wasn't going to be there very long.

The only thing I can say about Avery Brooks is that he is one tremendously cool guy.  Most people don't know that he is a tenured Professor of Drama at Rutgers and actually taught classes long distance while he was making Deep Space 9.  He took time to ask me where I was from and how long it took to get there.  Then later when he autographed the picture he remembered me and we had a short conversation.

I can't afford to go this year, but wish I could because Shatner is going to be there.  He and Leonard have both said this is their last year to attend cons.

Very cool, Trekgeezer. 

Hold onto your dreams ....
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »

That is utterly awesome, Trek!  I loved Avery Brooks on Deep Space Nine. His performance was what kept me watching through two or three years before burn out.

Oddly enough, you don't look anything like I thought you would look. Not sure what I had in mind...maybe one of the Three Stooges.....
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:43:15 AM »

Way cool TG!  Thumbup  I've never been to a Star Trek Con - wish I had.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:32:23 PM »

VEry Neat Trek... Avery was my favorite captain on the show. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »

Your coolness aura just shot way up.  Nerds across the nation are swooning with envy.  Well played!

I heard Nimoy speak many years ago - around 83 or so, I think . . . but I did not get to meet him.  Very entertaining guy.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:28:57 AM »

Leonard is old and he felt rather frail.

Bluesad That's a bit sad really: although he is almost 80. I just wish him good health and a long life.

The only thing I can say about Avery Brooks is that he is one tremendously cool guy.

I agree: I remember Mr Brooks appearing on Oprah to wish Robert Urich well during his illness. Referring to the fact that Mr Urich was now bald, Mr Brooks said "An extraordinary length you went to to get this haircut, huh?"  TeddyR TeddyR Another reason why Avery Brooks is cool: I believe Sisko was the only character ever on Star Trek to punch Q.  Smile
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:46:34 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »

I have to say that Kirk and Sisko are my favorite Captains.   I remember  the episode "For the Uniform" when Sisko was tracking down the traitor  Eddington and he told Worf to launch some kind of torpedo that would effectively poison  the atmosphere of a planet for 50 years, that even made Worf flinch. 

I also like the episode "In the Pale Moonlight" Sisko and Garrick plot to get the Romulans into the Dominion War and Garrick ends up assassinating the Romulan Ambassador when they get caught.     In his log Sisko says he can live with it.

I like DS9, because it was the only one of the series that really took chances with it's stories.    And remember that Sisko was the only human that ever intimidated Worf.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »

I never get any cool pictures like this (although, back around 1980 I had my picture taken with Corinne Alphen, Penthouse Pet of the Year and former wife of actor Ken Wahl) and a few years later I had my picture taken with big-boob model Busty Hart.  I also had a chance to have my picture taken with Chesty Morgan . . . now I regret passing it up.  I think she was charging about $25 for one of those Polaroid instant-developing pictures.  Also, when I was in Las Vegas in 2008 Pete Rose was there signing autographs but I ignored him.  I need to go to some conventions so I can have my picture taken with some TV and movie icons - - the cheesier the better - - like Fred Olen Ray.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Leonard, Avery, and me « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.