Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:38:42 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Pros & Novices  |  Question on video editors... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question on video editors...  (Read 8361 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 04, 2009, 10:07:46 AM »

So, here's the thing, all I want to do is take a clip I burned from a DVD, and turn it into a smaller clip with the audio and video attached as normal.  Sound simple, right?

Weeell...

I've got two video editors, Windows Movie Maker and Ulead Movie Editors 8.0

Here's the crazy part, the VIDEO plays just fine in Ulead, but there's NO sound.

In Windows Movie Maker, the sound plays just fine, but there's NO video.

AHHHH!

Does anyone know why this might be?  For the record, when I play the file in Windows Media Player or RealPlayer, but sound and video show up just fine.

Or does anyone know any other program I might be able to use to do some simple editing?

Thanks.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »

I use 'Virtualdub'. It's free, and although it can look intimidating, it's really easy. You may need to install a Divx codec package.

When you say a 'smaller' clip, in what way do you mean smaller? Shorter duration, smaller picture dimensions, or smaller filesize? No matter what the answer, virtualdub can do it, BUT, you'll end up with an .avi file. If you need some help, look me up on yahoo messenger, I'll try and be on later.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:09:31 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
BTM

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »

I use 'Virtualdub'. It's free, and although it can look intimidating, it's really easy. You may need to install a Divx codec package.

When you say a 'smaller' clip, in what way do you mean smaller? Shorter duration, smaller picture dimensions, or smaller filesize? No matter what the answer, virtualdub can do it, BUT, you'll end up with an .avi file. If you need some help, look me up on yahoo messenger, I'll try and be on later.

Hmm.. think I have VirtualDub, but had some trouble with it... have to try it again.

Well, by smaller I mean, shorter duration.  It's like, I burn a whole movie onto my hard drive and I just want, say, a five minute clip from the film.  Sounds simple, but it's turned into a big song and dance.  

BTW what happened to your AfroMullet avatar?  Are you changing or is something wrong with the forum?

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »

Musta been a forum thing, I didn't change it.

Virtualdub isn't completely intuitive. Let me guess, you made a clip with it and it ended up like fourteen billion gigs? By default it is set up for no compression, so it makes a HUGE file that is largely unplayable. That's one of the first problems people new to it run into.

Clipping a video is pretty easy, you go to the frame you want to start with, and press 'home' on your keyborad to mark the beginning, go to what you want the last frame to be and press 'end' on your keyboard to mark the end. Then go to file -> save as to make the clip (once you've set up compression, if needed). If you don't want to re-compress the file, just make sure it is set to "direct stream copy" under 'video'.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »

Hmm.. think I have VirtualDub, but had some trouble with it... have to try it again.

Well, by smaller I mean, shorter duration.  It's like, I burn a whole movie onto my hard drive and I just want, say, a five minute clip from the film.  Sounds simple, but it's turned into a big song and dance.  

BTW what happened to your AfroMullet avatar?  Are you changing or is something wrong with the forum?

You might try DVD shrink.  You can rip clips from a DVD with it, though it isn't super precise.  IIRC, you can specify down to 1 second when ripping.  And you can do multiple clips.  Just start it up, open a DVD in it, and do a "re-author" then drag the main title over, set start and end points, and rip it to a VOB file, not a DVD iso.  VOB files are the same as MPEG files, you can even rename a VOB to an MPEG (as some players won't recognize a VOB as playable). 

Hope that is helpful.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Pros & Novices  |  Question on video editors... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.