Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:59:09 PM
714462 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I just got interviewed on the radio « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I just got interviewed on the radio  (Read 4465 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 13, 2009, 04:06:41 PM »

Just finished a phone interview with the local CBC station about the upcoming b-movie double feature I'm hosting. Tomorrow night, we're showing Robot Monster and Plan 9 under the stars at the local arena and inviting people to bring their lawnchairs and coolers. I guess the publicity managed to get around, because I was invited to do a short segment with the host asking me questions about the two movies and b-movies in general. Funny, I've done my share of public speaking, and I've been on TV a few times, but I still get nervous as hell. My stomach is still in a knot. But it went well, and I think I sounded more like a film historian than a geek, although I'm sure Trevor will say the two are not mutually exclusive. TeddyR

That just leaves the big night, and things are actually falling into place. After not being able to come up with a food vendor, I just got a call out of the blue today, and there will be a chip truck selling french fries and other things. Between that and the pizza place across the street, should be enough food for anybody who doesn't bring their own.

All that remains is to pick up the projector tomorrow, which should work fine with my laptop. To simplify things, and to avoid any copyright infringement, I've ripped the DVDs and stripped out the menus and whatnot. Just pure public-domain movies in their original black and white.

If all goes well, I'm going to make this an annual event, and try to make it bigger next year. Wish me luck.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »

Good luck!  This project sounds cool, wish you lived in my town and I could attend.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 05:12:43 PM »

If I had as much oomph as you, I'd try to get something like this going here.

I know it will be a success.  Just don't be surprised when you hear younger people saying, "You mean these aren't in color?"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:26:39 PM »

I had colorized copies, but I converted 'em back. Thumbup

---------------------
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 07:39:53 PM »

I had colorized copies, but I converted 'em back. Thumbup

Pure evil genius, my friend.

Salute!!!!   Drink
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 08:36:37 PM »

Congratulations, and that is sure to be a fun double bill.  Both of those films feature jaw-dropping dialog and jaw-dropping special effects.  They have a special place in my heart.  Bless you.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »

Hope it all goes down swell for you!

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 08:28:02 AM »

Good luck!! tell us how it worked!  Thumbup

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:21:44 PM »

Good luck Andy!  I'm sure that with movies like that, everyone should have a good time  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »

Excellent! The world needs more events like the one you're hosting.

In my town there is an outdoor theater in the middle of the woods. Sometimes there are movies but it's mostly used for free concerts. That's great but I wish they had movies more often - particularly movies like the ones you are showing. Anyway, best of luck to you!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 03:32:50 PM »

Woo! Party like it's 1959!  Drink

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »

Well, it's 12:40am, I just got in, had a little snack and sat down to unwind at the computer. I'll have no trouble sleeping tonight.

Altogether, about 90 people came out, and everybody seemed to have fun. Most of the older folks left after Robot Monster, which got a round of applause at the end. It was getting kind of cold and damp by that time, but quite a few stuck around for Plan 9. A few scattered groups, some snuggling couples. It was all quite cozy. I especially got a kick out of seeing one group of boys laughing at the movies and discussing how insane Robot Monster was, how cool Tor Johnson looks and stuff like that. Those kids were worth the whole thing.

One thing I'm really glad I did was put the whole show on one DVD. I just pushed play and had nothing more to do but enjoy the show for two and a half hours. It was a last-minute idea, and I threw it together Thursday night. I wanted to make it more of a complete drive-in experience, so rather than just show the movies, I added trailers at the beginning and an intermission between movies with vintage concession ads and more trailers. I managed to find high-quality clips for The Killer Shrews, The Giant Gila Monster, The Giant Claw, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, Zotz and a few others. Then I tacked on my own little thank-you card at the end (with retro font and cheesy jazz music), added a title screen and burned the DVD. Worked beautifully.

The only major stress of the evening was that when I picked up the sound system, I didn't get the speaker cables. An oversight on my part, and in spite of all our efforts, we could not track down somebody with access to the cables. I had to run home and grab some odds and ends, then cobble together a substitute in front of the audience. And my wife never believed that a bunch of old stereos in the basement could ever come in handy.

In any case, it was a success, and it looks like the b-movie night will be back next year.

---------------------
Javakoala
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 07:12:43 AM »

Excellent!

You may have created future members of this board with these movies.  Since everyone had a good time, you might get asked to do more.  An evening of fairly safe family entertainment with a comfortable atmosphere is almost impossible to find these days.  You may have created a new hobby.

Again, congratulations, Andy!!!

Cheers
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 07:13:10 AM »

Great job Andy!  Glad it was such a success.  Sounds like a fun time was had by all  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »

I especially got a kick out of seeing one group of boys laughing at the movies and discussing how insane Robot Monster was, how cool Tor Johnson looks and stuff like that

Congrats, Andy!!
As you say, this is the point, maybe we'll see those kids around here :)

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I just got interviewed on the radio « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.