Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:31:21 PM
714424 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Kim Newman on Bad Movie fans.......... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kim Newman on Bad Movie fans..........  (Read 5229 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 28, 2009, 01:52:02 AM »

From his book "Nightmare Movies":

Any fool who thinks bad movies are uproarious fun would be cured if locked in a cinema during an all-night Al Adamson retrospective.

Hatred

My view: Kim Newman is a *&^%$ for saying that. Adamson didn't make Oscar winning classics but his films were at least entertaining.

Your view?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:59:00 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:50:20 AM »

Ha!  What a dork.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:41:07 AM »

people hate the free market.  they want to be in charge of taste and deciding what makes it and what doesn't
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

Who is Kim Newman-and what does he/she know about Al? Al will always have a place in my heart-and in the hearts of film fans. Kim Newman is a nobody shmuck. F3ck him/her. Kim the Shim-heres a recent pic of this he/she scumbag who has the nerve to diss Al-

Go to hell-Kim He-man!

I recant-Comparing this scumbag to Marnie(Big Shim from SHE MOB) Castle does Marnie injustice! This Kim Newman person is a pompous a$$,
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:56:54 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »

I'm still p**sed over this! Who is this person?!? He /she most likey hasn't the cahunes to watch Al's films! Whatta shmuck! Al was a good man...he did the best he could with what he had,and he helped a lotta people get into the business...as well as giving work to struggling new comers (Gary Garver,Lazlo Kovaks,Vilmos Zsigmond) and  old timers down on their luck (Lon Chaney,J.Carrol Naish,Angelo Rossitto,Kenneth Strickfadden,John Carradine...!) He was a good man who died a horrible death at the hands of a murdering scumbag. GOD BLESS AL ADAMSON.
This a good short doc on the carrear on Al.
Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:41:38 AM »

I love Al Adamson's movies . . . especially around 1:00 a.m.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:05:57 AM »

I think he's just upset because to my knowledge (and admitted it is limited) none of his works of fiction have been made into a movie. And from what I am able to find out about his fiction novels, they are tailor made to be a bad movies.
Also the man is a film critic. When is the last time a film critic was positive about anythign they said regarding a bad movie. Most are too busy hyping how great the latest POS film that is as fun as watching paint dry.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 11:45:46 AM »

How could such a snooty prick call himself a writer of horror and not have a love of schlock cinema?

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »

How could such a snooty prick call himself a writer of horror and not have a love of schlock cinema?

My thinking: He/She (I dunno...Kim is an ambigous name) Is one of them "snotty pricks" who feel the need to disecet and analyisis everything. When I watch a bad movie...I enjoy it...I love every giant mantis,tarantula and every booga bogga teeth vampire and paper mache monster. I DON'T mock these films...I actully LOVE them. Sure-I laff all the way through stuff like PLAN 9 and ROBOT MONSTER. But I don't consider them awful. I consider them FUN. And what's wrong with having fun?
And when some dick trys to tell me I couldn't sit through an Al Adamson marathon? HA! Bring it on,baby! I'd LOVE it!

I'm just Helling it like it is ,baby!

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 01:08:59 PM »

Unlike RC, I do watch bad films to mock them. I have a blast doing so. It's a family event in my home even. At the same time I can overlook a lot of stuff in them because they are almost always made on a small budget and some even shoot for humor because they know the effects look bad. I enjoy seeing the strings of the flying pie pans and the constant changing looks of giant bugs which switch from close ups of live ones to cheesy puppets. Locking me in to see a bunch of Al Adamson films would just make me have wet pants from peeing myself laughing. If he really wanted to torture me, he would lock me in a room and make me watch films like Eyes Wide Shut which I am sure he raved about how great it was as a film critic. Now there is a film that blows.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »

Personally, I get more enjoyment out of "bad" movies than most blockbusters because the bad movies have HEART, damn it!  They may be complete artistic and technical disasters, but you can see how hard everyone was trying.  And they give me things I just can't see anywhere else.

Where the hell else but an Al Adamson movie am I going to see Dracula pulling Frankenstein's arms, legs, and head off?  Where else but an Al Adamson movie am I going to see an Arab emir's brian installed in John Bloom's head?  Tell me that, huh?   TeddyR

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »

I've always felt the same way about anybody who watches sports, plays solitaire, drives a Volvo, or owns modular-sectional furniture.

But I'm not gonna throw it in their face, for cryin' out loud.
It's just not my bag, & I leave it at that.
I can't fault other people's tastes.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 03:47:20 PM »

I'm a big fan of Kim Newman (I wish I had the guys dress sense) and I'm sure he's just having a bit of fun and isn't actually taking pot shots at us, so cool your jets guys. 
Smile
The guy does actually review staight to DVD B movie rubbish for Empire magazine, he knows his B movies and I'm sure we all have certain low budget films we can't stand. I hate those British sex comedies from the 70's....they're pure pain.... Bluesad

I think Mr. Newman has seen more films than all of us put together.

I got this book a while ago and I'd recommend it :

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:50:37 PM by doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »

newman aint getting an aploogie from me. f**k him. I respect you Dogget. But anybody who calls bad movie fans idiots can die.

And yes..my spelling skils dont do muclh to dispell that myth-
but I dont care. f**k em anyway.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:07:46 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »

I agree with Doggett. I haven't read the book Trevor mentions, but Newman is a b-movie fan through and through. The guy wrote a book called Famous Monsters for example.

I'm assuming he just hates Al Adamson, which may or may not be a mortal insult to you. The rest of the hate attributed to him seems to be a misrepresentation.

He is a good writer. His Anno Dracula series is a literary riff in the vein of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; well worth reading.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Kim Newman on Bad Movie fans.......... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.