Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:08:21 PM
714490 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Web designers, flash experts, I need your help! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Web designers, flash experts, I need your help!  (Read 4121 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 19, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »

EDIT: Sorry for the numerous typos and left out words, I was a bit stressed when I wrote this.

So, as most of you might know from a previous post, I've got a new "job" of sorts, with a fellow helping him out in web design.

Thing of it is, today didn't quite go so well, as there were several things he wanted me to do, that I either didn't know how, or couldn't because of the limitations of his machine.

Anyway, I'm going to be doing some research to try and figure out how to do this stuff, but I thought maybe someone here would know a few things that could help me out already.  I guess the main problem is, he insists that these things can all be done, but it's been "years" apparently since he's done any web designing himself, so he doesn't quite remember how to do them.  (I dunno, just roll with me here...)

First thing, he pulled up an old website from a CD that was done almost entirely in Flash and said he wanted to take it, make some changes, and reuse it for a current website.  Sounded simple, problem is, I don't know a hell of a lot about Flash.  

He loaded up Flash 5 (yeah, I know, a bit out of date, but it still should work, right?)  And I tried to edit the website. I just couldn't figure out how; every time I opened the website in Flash, it would load it's in own Window and I couldn't figure out how to put it the "editing" section of the program.  I wanted to go in and, among other things, change some of the text, but it just wasn't "selecting" it.  

Do I need to "decode" or import the website somehow to the editor?  Tried all kinds of different things and it didn't seem to work.  He insisted it could be done, that you need to get down to the "layer" that the text was on.  

The other thing we did was buy some domains from Godaddy.com, and he wanted to upload the pages of a prototype website to one of the domains.  He insisted that you could upload the files directly from the Godaddy website.  Again, I've never worked with Godaddy, in the previous websites I'd designed, the people who wanted the websites took care of the uploading aspect themselves (or we simply used an FTP program.)  

I asked if we had a FTP program and he said we didn't need one, because he put it up directly from Godaddy, but couldn't remember how exactly, because it had been "years".  

I don't know.. first day went pretty good, but now I've got some concerns... it's a bit unnerving to be trying to work and he's sitting behind you staring at you... (the salon was got a ton of mirrors everywhere, one right in front of the where the computer is at.)  It's especially awkward when the computer is running slow (which is often does) and I'm like, "Okay, computer, do something please, he's looking at me... come on!"

Plus it just seems a bit crazy how he wants to get back into the web designing business but he didn't bother to check his computer to make sure it had all the software he'd need.  (Claims a lot of it got lost in the last "upgrade".)  

I mean, he didn't have Frontpage or Dreamweaver (I had to try and edit one of his old sites in Word for crying out loud.)  He said he had Frontpage at his other computer at home, and later suggested I bring MY copy of Dreamweaver to the office.  I tried to download the trial version of Dreamweaver and after some stalling and a blue screen of death, it turns out his computer didn't have enough memory for the program!  Latest version requires 512 megs and he's running Vista on 256.

I don't know, hoping once I pick up somethings he'll be less "hands on" and I'll be able to do the work without him looking over my shoulder, but I dunno...  first I need to figure out this stuff he wants done...

Any help/tips you guys can provide would be great.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:49:17 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »

No idea about flash, but as for uploading pages, I would just get a freeware FTP client.  I've heard good things about filezilla, though I've never used it.  You can also get freeware html editors, though I don't have any to suggest.  You can do a lot with just freeware nowadays.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 12:04:39 AM »

If you want my recommendation, I say ditch the job.

I've been in your position before.
Guy wants to hire me to do some work,  but I wasn't fully knowledgable and felt like he sometimes knew more than I did.
I felt....inadequate. (if that's the correct word to use)
It's a totally uncomfortable feeling.

If you're feeling uncomfortable at all working for this guy, try to find similar work elsewhere.
It's out there...you just have to know where to look.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:06:15 AM by Ash » Logged
BTM

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:52:45 AM »

If you want my recommendation, I say ditch the job.

I've been in your position before.
Guy wants to hire me to do some work,  but I wasn't fully knowledgable and felt like he sometimes knew more than I did.
I felt....inadequate. (if that's the correct word to use)
It's a totally uncomfortable feeling.

If you're feeling uncomfortable at all working for this guy, try to find similar work elsewhere.
It's out there...you just have to know where to look.

Well, that's the problem, I've been looking and no one seems to be hiring, or wants to hire me.  Most of the IT jobs out there seem to want experience, or A+ certification which I don't have (mainly because the University I went to didn't HAVE any course in A+ prep, and the local college that does just turned me down for a loan.) 

Guess I could try just going into business for myself, but I have really NO clue what to charge or even where to get started.  Guess I could poke around and see if there's some charity or non profit groups that need websites and try to build something from there, but dunno...

Ash

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 02:07:51 AM »

BTM,

One thing I want you to know about what I said is that I'm not trying to dampen your hopes or give you bad advice.  I'm only trying to look out for you.
From reading what you wrote, I certainly got the impression that you felt uncomfortable working for this guy.
Having been in a similar position in the past, I can speak from experience.

It saddens me to hear that you cannot get back into college.
Heck, I'm 35 years old and I'm on my way to completing my degree.
(all A's and one A- for summer term!)

There are two reasons why I'm doing it...
1.) I've always regretted not getting a college degree after I graduated high school back in 1992.
2.) Because I, too, ended up in the exact same situation you find yourself in right now.

My ultimate goal is to open my own business.
I wanted to open it years ago, but, I realized that, while I knew alot about business, I didn't know enough to attempt to run a successful business.
A business endeavor is a monumental undertaking and tons of businesses fail...and there is no way in hell my business is going to fail.
I needed the extra education.
I also want a college degree to prove to myself that I can do it.

You seem to be at a crossroads in your life...
You're a smart guy.  Try to get back in college.  Do whatever it takes!

I have faith that you will make the right decisions.   Thumbup

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:13:58 AM by Ash » Logged
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »

my friends  http://www.davetufts.com/  runs a company called imarc  that deals in all that stuff. I'm sure he could help you out.  mention lester1/2jr
BTM

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »

my friends  http://www.davetufts.com/  runs a company called imarc  that deals in all that stuff. I'm sure he could help you out.  mention lester1/2jr

Thanks, I'll zip him over some email!  :)

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »

Well, that's the problem, I've been looking and no one seems to be hiring, or wants to hire me.  Most of the IT jobs out there seem to want experience, or A+ certification which I don't have (mainly because the University I went to didn't HAVE any course in A+ prep, and the local college that does just turned me down for a loan.) 

I got my A+ certification years ago (didn't ever use it and what I learned is mostly obsolete now).  I just bought the A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide by Michael Meyers (about $20), studied it on my own and went in and took the test, passed easily on the first try.  You might go that route, I don't think an expensive course is really necessary.

Ash

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »

I just bought the A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide by Michael Meyers (about $20), studied it on my own and went in and took the test, passed easily on the first try.  You might go that route, I don't think an expensive course is really necessary.

Wait...
He wrote a book!??

TongueOut

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »

I just bought the A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide by Michael Meyers (about $20), studied it on my own and went in and took the test, passed easily on the first try.  You might go that route, I don't think an expensive course is really necessary.

Wait...
He wrote a book!??

TongueOut

Yeah... it's a killer read!

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »

If you get Dreamweaver it has a FTP built in, the sever should be simple like uploading to public_html in the root directory this folder has to have the index file. Other than that any old FTP will do, like Filezilla or ClassicFTP ... I like the old Macromedia Dreamweaver 4 over the new bloated Adobe CE version.

Dreamweaver is great in my opinion as far as many WYSIWYG editors go, you can either edit visual or html and there are tons of free extension you can get for it which can make life easier.

Flash is going to depend on which version it was written in, I haven't done much Flash in a long time it was cool when it first came out now it's just annoying in many cases. I have Flash 5 and again before Adobe got there hands on it and bloated it up. But Flash over all is pretty easy it's all about the layers.

BTM

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 02:58:39 PM »

Hmmm.. dunno how well this partnership will go.  I worked for about an hour and a half before I was forced to give up.  Guy doesn't HAVE any sort of web editor on his computer at the office, or at home.  Apparently the other guy who did the web design stuff "brought" the software he used with him (and the guy seems expect me to "bring" software I'm going to use as well.)

Prob is, my version of Dreamweaver probably won't run on his computer.  He's like, "I don't want to reinvent the wheel or anything, I just wanted to take these sites that I've already made, change a few things and reupload them."

I said, "Well, I'm sure I could do that, I just don't know if I could do it with this current set up."

He said, " Alex did it with this set up."  (Alex was his previous web design worker, believe he worked for him "years" ago.) 

I said, "Well, do you see Alex lately?"  "Yes."

"Well, maybe you could ask what programs he used and I could try and get them." 

So, he's "Okay, I'll ask him next time I see."

Meantime I took some of files from his computer and put them on my flash drive, so I can see if I can work on them here at home.  I'll do a few minor changes for free, but dunno...

Maybe we can work out something where I could do most of the work from home and he could just send me the info he wants, but dunno if he'll agree to that.  He seems to want to insist on being "on hand" to make sure everything "looks right."  (Being that he's the "visionary artist" and such.  He's mentioned that if I am not able to do the stuff, he can talk to "his guys in St Louis."  I was tempted to ask what he thinks his guys in St Louis would be working from, because it sure wouldn't be a rig like he's got.

We'll have to see if we can work something out. If not, at least I made a little bit of money and got some experience in.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »

Do it at home upload it to a another site for "inspections" and then make changes as needed from from home... it's the internet use it.

BTM

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »

Do it at home upload it to a another site for "inspections" and then make changes as needed from from home... it's the internet use it.

Well, I'm not the one that'll have to be convinced about that plan.  I'm fine with the idea, but the guy I'm working for...  Lookingup

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Web designers, flash experts, I need your help! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.