Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:36:38 PM
714480 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  It's okay to laugh at drinking... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's okay to laugh at drinking...  (Read 2697 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: August 28, 2009, 01:47:47 PM »

I was discussing the 1981 film “Arthur” with my wife because of recent rumors that there is a remake in the works, using Russell Brand in the part trademarked by Dudley Moore.  I have mixed feelings about that.  On one hand, although I like Russell Brand and think it’s not a bad casting choice, I think Arthur is one film that should be left alone and not spoiled by a potentially disastrous remake.  One the other hand, a remake would naturally cause a revival of the original, which could never be a bad thing.

Anyway, this is not the main point I was writing about.  “Arthur” was a great film, and an underappreciated film.  The reason this film is underappreciated is one of the things I hate about what America has become, and I love America.  I looked up this comic gem on IMDB and was annoyed to find how many comments on the film related to its subject matter, and how alcoholism is nothing to laugh about, and yadda yadda yadda.  What has happened to this country?  We used to be able to laugh at the drunk, and not get all uptight and talk about how drinking means you’re an alcoholic and how you have a disease.  

First of all, it is debatable whether or not Moore’s lovable spoiled, rich, drunk playboy character was a true alcoholic.  This comedy had some serious themes underlying its many funny moments, namely that Arthur had some demons of his own, and once he got past them, his drinking was no longer a problem.  He didn’t have to go to AA (a cult if you ask me), he just needed to work out his problems, with the help of his very good friend Hobson, played by John Gielgud, who damn near stole the show.  Second, although it is a comedy, and there is plenty to laugh at in Arthur’s drunken antics, the film does not glorify his drinking, and in fact demonstrates quite clearly that he could not go on living that way indefinitely.  Eventually one has to grow up.  

The treatment of this film by the puritanical masses kind of p**ses me off.  I love America, but I also know that Americans have some problems.  Everything is a disease.  This is the same country that will degrade a person and classify him or her as an alcoholic if they drink more than so many drinks a week and insist that they need help and have to go to AA and create a cycle of dependency that never ends, yet will prescribe anti-depressants to kids.  I think to some extent the ability to blow off a little steam with a few drinks with mates allows one to provide a bit of their own therapy, and can actually be a good thing sometimes, because it shows that sometimes people can work out their problems on their own, with perhaps only the help of a good friend or two over a couple of cold ones.  I think this is what the puritanical side of America hates, because it can’t be controlled, and if there’s one thing an uptight puritan wants to do, it’s control and spoil a good time.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:50:33 PM by jlb67 » Logged

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »

This whole "political correctness" thing has been aggravating me for years.  I think I posted a rant about it in here once before . . . about stuff like how kids can't play Cowboys and Indians anymore . . . they need to play Cowboys and Native Americans (and I'm sure before long they will be playing Ranch Hands and Native Americans).  There is nothing wrong with making a comedy about a guy with a drinking problem.  W.C. Fields made a career out of it.  So did Foster Brooks.  The Washington Bullets changed their team name to Washington Wizards because "bullets" had violent implications.  There has been plenty of pressure for the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins to change their team names and logos.  There have been complaints about the "Tomahawk Chop" at Atlanta Braves games.  I think this stuff is all in good fun and is extremely harmless.  But that's just me.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »

And how about he horrible treatment of cavemen in those Geico commercials.  I've been meaning to write to them about that.  Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

I agree.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »

Can you just imagine this place in 50 years?  Thank god I'll be dead by then.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:07:36 PM »

Can you just imagine this place in 50 years?  Thank god I'll be dead by then.

This is politically incorrect.  You should have said, "Thank the supreme being of your choice I'll no longer be alive by then.  If you do not worship a supreme being, that's perfectly okay."

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:24:24 PM »

How about "Thank goodness"?  Or is that insensitive to badness?  Which is of course purely subjective.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »

This whole "political correctness" thing has been aggravating me for years.  I think I posted a rant about it in here once before . . . about stuff like how kids can't play Cowboys and Indians anymore . . . they need to play Cowboys and Native Americans (and I'm sure before long they will be playing Ranch Hands and Native Americans).  There is nothing wrong with making a comedy about a guy with a drinking problem.  W.C. Fields made a career out of it.  So did Foster Brooks.  The Washington Bullets changed their team name to Washington Wizards because "bullets" had violent implications.  There has been plenty of pressure for the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins to change their team names and logos.  There have been complaints about the "Tomahawk Chop" at Atlanta Braves games.  I think this stuff is all in good fun and is extremely harmless.  But that's just me.
You can't even have them playing that because it involves conflict.  Or they would make sure that the "ranch hands" are greedy, evil, and oppressive.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  It's okay to laugh at drinking... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.