Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:54:24 PM
714643 Posts in 53102 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Is It Just Me, Or Is The Upcoming Musical Remake Of 8 1/2 Actually The Devil? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is It Just Me, Or Is The Upcoming Musical Remake Of 8 1/2 Actually The Devil?  (Read 935 times)
Rat-Bat-Spider
Dedicated Viewer

ICE to meet you!

« on: September 04, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »

Small | Large

Okay, so I just saw this trailer for this MUSICAL remake of Fellini's 8 1/2. Now, I know that the screenplay was based on a play which was based on 8 1/2, much like how the script itself was written in ink provided by a printer, but you can't say that the ink or the printer wrote this poopy screenplay, so I would call this a remake. And just watching it, I had a very, very adverse reaction to it, and my ire popped up like an angry ocean god rising from the sea. Am I wrong to think this is a horrible idea, the melding of classic Italian cinema and jazz-hand musical kitsch? Am I too set in my ways to see that this is somehow genius, and I just can't comprehend it? Please talk amongst yourselves; I can't figure this out alone!!! :(

www.cinematronica.wordpress.com
A movie review every day for an entire year. Can he handle it? Can YOU handle it?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:26:50 PM »

Wow... the idea does seem really wrong.  I have low expectations, but I'd be willing to give it a chance like any other movie.  I'm not one who believes it's automatically blasphemous to remake anything; you're just setting the bar a lot higher when you're tackling a classic. I could give a musical remake of CITIZEN KANE, CASABLANCA or EVIL DEAD 2 the benefit of the doubt.     

In other words, I still think it's you that's actually the devil.  Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rat-Bat-Spider
Dedicated Viewer

ICE to meet you!

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:12:16 PM »

You're probably right; and I didn't find it so blasphemous that they remade the film, but rather that it was a musical; it just doesn't fit the tone at all. And when I say that I'm playing the film All That Jazz in my head, one of the most atonal and baffling movies I've seen in some time. It's just a perplexing thing to me; perhaps it's my own aesthetic sensibilities that turns me off to that sort of thing, but Nine really clips me in a part of my brain where fire and thunder make their home.

And, for the record, I can't in good conscience be the Devil considering my staunch atheism (conflict of interests), and if this movie isn't the Devil then I pass the crown around to Steven Seagal's Lightning Bolt Energy Drink (Asian Experience flavor) as the most dastardly thing to grace my presence recently. Avaunt and quit my sight, naturally-flavored energy beverage!

www.cinematronica.wordpress.com
A movie review every day for an entire year. Can he handle it? Can YOU handle it?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »

I'm not really into musicals anyway, so it's hard for me to give them a fair shake.  I'm sure there are a few that are good.  The concept sounds bad, but as I say, I'll keep an open mind. 

And you're right: Steven Seagal's Lightning Bolt Energy Drink is a better candidate for the devil than you are!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Is It Just Me, Or Is The Upcoming Musical Remake Of 8 1/2 Actually The Devil? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.