Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:21:21 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The XFiles: I Want To Believe (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The XFiles: I Want To Believe (2008)  (Read 3545 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: October 26, 2009, 04:03:04 AM »

I am going out on a limb here to give Chris Carter a high 5 for making this.  Smile

I ignored the film while it was on circuit in South Africa and heard nothing but bad things ~ even the video shops which I rent from didn't buy the DVD. One of the clerks said: "It's a crap film and we don't buy those."  Question

I spent 40 South African rand on a DVD copy (that's about $5) and I was both shocked and surprised at the positive vibe it gave me. This film is not about the conspiracy or the black oil or a monster of the week, it's a love story with the loss and regaining of faith at its' main core.

The bloopers on the DVD are very funny ~ the one that made me laugh is where Alex Diakun is preparing to inject the patient and he winds up squirting Callum Keith Rennie in the eye with the syringe's contents.  BounceGiggle

The very emotional final shot of the film ~ with Dana Scully about to commence an operation and having regained her faith in herself ~ where the doctor gives her patient a beautiful smile as if to say "I am going to heal you!" made me cry.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:47:54 AM »

There's a scene with Mulder and Scully in the caribbean together during the end credits. I like it.

But it should have had Doggett and Reyes in it.
Since, I'd assume, they'd get moved onto the X Files...why weren't their expertise used.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:40:49 AM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:39:08 AM »

There's a scene with Mulder and Scully in the caribbean together during the end credits. I like it.

When the camera goes above the two in the boat, you can just see a large black X in the water underneath them.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:17:50 AM »

This film is not about the conspiracy or the black oil or a monster of the week

That's exactly why I hated it.  When you get right down to it, I don't give a rat's ass about Scully and Mulder.  The only reason I watched the X-Files was to see the monster of the week.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Doggett

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:28:59 AM »

This film is not about the conspiracy or the black oil or a monster of the week

That's exactly why I hated it.  When you get right down to it, I don't give a rat's ass about Scully and Mulder.  The only reason I watched the X-Files was to see the monster of the week.

I kinda agree with you.
I actually preferred Doggett and Reyes and they only had one series/season together !

BRING 'EM BACK !

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:18:37 AM »

I've been watching the series (I got it for Christmas last year).  I agree with Doggett, I don't know why they didn't get Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish  for the other two agents , other than budgetary restraints (They only had $30 million to make the film).

It did feel like an extended episode, but my wife and I enjoyed it at the theater.

My wife will stop watching the show with me when we get to the seasons with Doggett (she's hated Robert Patrick since T2)

I did see a blurb where Duchovny said he would be up for another film. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Doggett

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 08:07:03 AM »

My wife will stop watching the show with me when we get to the seasons with Doggett (she's hated Robert Patrick since T2)

She is really missing out !

The great thing about Doggett is that he's his own character. He's not a Mulder substitute. Doggett is a character who hates cover ups and being lied to by his superiors so he uses the X Files in hope that he can bring them down with what they contain. Mulder's reason for being on The X files was simply to find his sister. And, boy, did that story get old....In fact, even in the movie, they refer back to his sister.

And, when it comes to story arcs, I prefer the 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' type super soldier story to the black oil storyline.

There are some great episodes in series/seasons 8 & 9:

Alone
Scary Monsters
The Sunshine Days
Roadrunners
Medusa
This Is Not Happening
Redrum
Three Words (which is great for Mulder and Doggett conflict)
Essence
Existance
John Doe (Okay, I'm the only person who likes this episode)
Lord of the Flies
Audrey Pauley
Improbable

vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:08:03 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but I as an X-Phile didn't like this movie. Most X-Philes don't like it.

As for the season 8/9 thing going around here, did you even watch the whole series? I can see how season 8 is someone's fave, it's my favourite season after season 3, but season 9 is just dumb. Again, it's not just my opinion, but of the whole XF fandom.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 10:02:59 AM »

I watched the show for the monster of the week.  It was a completely plot driven show, I never felt like I knew the characters on anything more than a professional level.  When they tried to go with some character driven stuff, it didn't interest me in the slightest. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The XFiles: I Want To Believe (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.