Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:54:44 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad Things To Come « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bad Things To Come  (Read 2475 times)
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 10, 2009, 02:08:17 PM »

Recently I Heard That They Interviewed Shia Lebouf (that kid from all those crappy movies that i've never seen) And In The Interview He Mentioned That They Are Thinking About TRANSFORMERS 3 , And Also They Are Talking About INDIANA JONES 5

Michael Bay And George Lucas Really Don't Know When To Stop
BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »

I think Transformers 3 was announced a while ago, I want to pass but I'm tempted to see how Bay makes another junky disaster.

Oh and Indy is definitely getting raped.
Thorn Is
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »

George Lukas has an impulsion to destroy everything good he ever made

I'm betting it's medical

Organic sighted.  Obliterate.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 10:00:11 PM »

Lucas is one of the luckiest guys alive period.  He captured lightning in a bottle and ran with it.  I will come forward and say I love Star Wars and have contributed to his tyranny.  However, generally his stuff only works when he isn't all over it.  If you think about it, Star Wars is a goofy concept but they made it work with the imagery and characters alone.  Dialog and plot really aren't too big of a thing in his movies.

Oh and anything Shia Lebouf touches is going to suck.  I'm convinced.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
IMDED
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:24:12 AM »

o.k. guys...just so I understand ya'll better on this site,

If a movie sucks..or you think it will suck ..does that mean you dig it???

I thought that both transormers flicks were pretty decent. I mean..I saw the first one on DVD and thuroughly enjoyed it enough to catch the second in the theater..which i rarely do...over priced and hardly ever worth it..
I pick and choose my movies to view in the cinema quite intensly....I was not disappointed with Trans 2 at all.

But i was disappointed with GI JOE...should have passed on that one....but next up will most definetly be Zombieland.
anyway..back to the question.

if it sucks do you dig it????
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »

Sir, you have opened a huge can of worms, but that’s okay.  This nature of this site means a lot of things, and covers enormous area.  “Bad movies” means different things to different people, yet also has some common threads.  I’ll try to keep this brief, but I’ll admit to lip service right there, because what I’m really going to do is deconstruct like a mother f***er.

First, a bit of evolution.  Appreciation for bad movies started in the camp, or kitsch movements.  This started quietly in the 1970’s.  Up to then, most films had been made with genuine intent.  Films like The Blob, Reefer Madness, even the work of Ed Wood and Japanese monster movies, were seriously intended, that is, these filmmakers were not trying to make a joke.  Likewise, American culture and societal norms were such that most moviegoers watched these films without the slightest hint of irony.  In other words, people took The Blob seriously. 

Then, the 60’s happened.  There were many good and many bad things that resulted from the 60’s.  Among the good things, however, is that Americans began to become more mentally divergent, that is, to think for themselves.  Norms were crushed, and people began to think in more varied ways, and people began to realize some things.  They began to realize that Reefer Madness was hilarious because it had no basis in reality.  They found out that The Blob, and many films of its ilk, was really a propaganda film that played on Cold War paranoia.  And so, people began to appreciate these films strictly from a sense of irony, that is, they were no longer taken seriously, and in fact appreciating their “badness” was a means of illustrating some of the narrow-mindedness and, in some cases, outright evil that they represented.  The camp and kitsch movements didn’t occur for a few years, however, because everyone was too busy getting high and concentrating on Vietnam and space travel that was actually starting to happen.

Once the dust settled, and the idealism of the 60’s gave way to very dark times in American culture, people began to look back on these films with a proper sense of irony, as they had become much more hardened.  Mixed with this irony, however, was a sense of nostalgia for younger times, times that, while somewhat superficial, were filled with the hopes of the post-war dream (I’m talking about WWII here).  You can see the beginnings of camp and kitsch in films like The Groove Tube and The Kentucky Fried Movie, and in the early years of SNL.  This is not to say that irony did not exist before the 70’s.  Dr. Strangelove will demonstrate that.  However, the difference there is that Dr. Strangelove was not looking back.  Camp and kitsch have nowhere to look but back, even if the past is being tied in to the present. 

Since that time, camp and kitsch have evolved into a much broader thing.  “Bad” movies are appreciated, both old and new, for their campiness.  Sometimes, as in the case with Tremors, the filmmaker, and most of the audience, knows it’s a joke, that it is a parody and tribute to 50’s creature features.  Other times, as in an Arnie film, for example, some people take the film seriously, and some don’t.  But, as is the case with anything that first starts out as an ironic appreciation, at some point it turns, at least partially, into genuine appreciation.  This is where everything becomes hazy.  Someone on this site can talk about a movie sucking, and they really mean that they don’t even like it at all, even from an ironic perspective, such as with a Uwe Boll film.  Still others may talk about the same film and love it because it is trash and they know it.  There is always going to be a mix of ironic and real appreciation, or even no appreciation at all.  Finding the perspective from which someone posts becomes very difficult sometimes.  Some who first visit this site may be confused, and understandably so.  But a common thread does tend to emerge: we love bad movies, and we also love good movies, and we also know that the line between the two can be thin and blurred.  Most will agree that the South Park parody of George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg raping Indiana Jones on a pinball machine was a fitting portrayal of what has happened to the franchises they created in the 80’s, while also admitting, usually begrudgingly, that those franchises were also kind of campy themselves. 

These are complicated times we live in, fellow posters.  I think most of you will agree that these forums illustrate that fact quite well. 

Regards to all.     

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »

Thumbup

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »

I blame my involvement in bad movies on drugs and beer...what was the question?

Yeah, it is hard to pinpoint where the line is drawn.  I have friend who roll their nose up at anything I mention, but they go on and on about stuff like Transformers and G.I. Joe.  At least I know that the stuff I like isn't worth anything except entertainment and they didn't have a budget that would have fed a Third World country for 10 years.

People have lost the ability to distinguish "good" from "entertaining".  The stuff a lot of us watch and go on about is entertaining but will never be good.  A lot of what ends up at the top of the box-office results each week aren't good either; they are merely entertaining. Yet people will say "It was good."  I am endlessly explaining the difference between "good" and "entertaining".

Then I get the argument of "You can't say anything about such and such because you won't even watch it." So I have to explain I don't stick my fingers into every open flame I see, but I know I'm likely to regret it if I choose to do so. And I also point out that they won't take the time to watch the movies I mention, yet they roll their noses up at the thought, so they have no room to talk based on the same argument.

If a movie sucks, it sucks.  If it is entertaining while it sucks, the folks here might become fans of it.  That's the only real criteria I can think of for the films adored by the badmovies.org folks.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »

I don't disagree with the wise words of jlb67 and Javakoala, but the simple answer is...

I've never heard anyone here use the word "suck" to describe something they consider so-bad-it's-good. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 09:51:13 AM »

Agreed, Rev.  However, it was clear it was a new visitor and, so I felt that the question should have been addressed.  Besides, I'm a bit of a blowhard and love to spout about movies, so it's a win-win for me.

Also, Javakoala, your post was hilarious.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad Things To Come « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.