Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:28:07 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  STANLEY (1972) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: STANLEY (1972)  (Read 2235 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 26, 2008, 07:46:02 PM »

I waited a long time to see this movie, and finally purchased the special edition DVD.  Boy, what a disappointment.

If you aren't familiar with the plot, Chris Robinson plays a Seminole Vietnam vet who uses his pet snakes (including one named Stanley) to kill his enemies.  For a movie like this to be enjoyable, I think it needs to have one or more of the following elements:

* Gruesome killings
* Over-the-top characters
* Lots of nudity
* Tremendous amounts of cheesy badness

Unfortunately, STANLEY has none of these elements.  It's mostly boring (including the snake killings) and the closest thing to an over-the-top character is Alex Rocco (who has a pricelessly ridiculous battle with a bunch of snakes in a swimming pool . . . one of the few amusing moments in the whole movie . . . get a load of his facial expression as he dives in). 

There's also a scene in which a stripper bites the head off a snake, but it isn't as good as it sounds.

The DVD does have some decent special features (including director William Grefe reminiscing about the movie and walking around the grounds of what used to be the Ivan Tors studio).

I was really hoping this would be a 1970s treasure in the tradition of WILLARD, but it's just a flat, dull pseudo-horror movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:07:36 PM »

Good god.  I reviewed this one around this time last year.  It was a on a double feature disc that I had bought for a dollar.  The awful shots of the the fake snake 'attacking' it's victims were hilarious. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 08:14:31 AM »

It has been some time since I watched it, but my memory agrees with what you say.  Way too boring for a movie about a man with an attack snake.  What you said about the pitched pool snake battle royal also made a brain cell fire.  Might have to track this one down just for that scene.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »

Caught this one at The Beautiful Lake Theater and the ONLY scene I remember is Rocco's pool tangle with the hoard of water moccasins.

Definitely a big let-down after WILLARD, of which which TV ads promised it was gonna be another.

It did feature Grefe regular Milton 'Butterball' Smith, who was the most spherical human being I've ever seen in my life. He's got a revealing swim suit scene in Grefe's MAKO, JAWS OF DEATH - which itself was sort of a shark version of WILLARD.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 03:42:28 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 08:37:36 PM »

the sahw brothers Williard rip off "killer snakes" is f**king awesome.  i think I saw a preview for this on the deeath curse of tartu dvd and th director was saying somrething like "we';d never heard of williard"  we had the idea before jaws."  like someone is going to sue him NOW
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

I'll just stick to my "Family Value Collection" dollar store version.  About halfway through the DVD, the movie shuts off and goes to the blue screen until the word "play" reappears in the top corner. 
Samuel Clough
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »

I found this movie on a DVD called "Gorehouse Greats Collection". It's a 12 movie set I picked up at Wal-Mart in the $5 bin. I was looking for info on the snake handling for the film.  Are thous real or fake snakes in some of thous sceans? I did fall asleep watching this thou but being a 70s trash fan I did like it a little. What I could stay awake for anyway.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »

Gee...I'll bet I must be the only person on earth (or any other planet,for that matter) that likes this movie. Not like as an enjoyable film-but like just because when I first saw it at about 2:00 am on a uhf channel half crocked,I thought I was hallucinating .

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 10:03:29 AM »

Gee...I'll bet I must be the only person on earth (or any other planet,for that matter) that likes this movie. Not like as an enjoyable film-but like just because when I first saw it at about 2:00 am on a uhf channel half crocked,I thought I was hallucinating .

That's the best way really appreciate this one.  Thumbup

I liked MAKO: JAWS OF DEATH at lot more. It has the classic scene where the Willard-like shark guy turns his buddies loose in one of those underwater ballet things and the sharks eat the dancers!

As I mentioned before, it's also got Milton 'Butterball' Smith in the 70s version of a speedo.

Good to see you around, RC.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »

About halfway through the DVD, the movie shuts off and goes to the blue screen until the word "play" reappears in the top corner. 

TeddyR BounceGiggle

Sounds a bit like my DVD of Tiger Joe ~ at one point, the image flips and David Warbeck and company are walking on their heads.  Twirling

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  STANLEY (1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.