Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:15:09 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  UNCHARTED (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UNCHARTED (2009)  (Read 840 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: September 12, 2009, 11:42:10 PM »

I saw this movie on the new releases shelf at Hasting's this week and decided to give it a go on the basis of the cover art.  For you see, there, on the DVD cover, sticking through a human skull, was a spear tipped with an actual stone point.  It looked like the Ensor points found in Central Texas.  Not much of a basis for choosing a movie, I know, but I'd already seen CRANK II, the only other decent New Release this week, and besides, how often do guys grab a movie for the sole reason that there is some woman with barely concealed breasts on the cover?

Anyhoo, this is the story of a college documentary crew looking for evidence of jaguars on an island off the coast of Mexico.  Their plane crash-lands on an UNCHARTED island in one of the most busy waterways in the entire world, and the pilot wanders off in a drunken stupor.  Three of the film crew follow him and simply disappear.  One guy (Michael) stays with the plane to take care of the film's director (Lane), who bumped her head when the plane landed and was unconscious.

The pilot wanders in and out of the rest of the film.  He disappears for hours at a time so we can be treated to the director and her chief cameraman having earnest conversations, bonding to each other, and finally having sex.  Then he comes back to announce that A) the island is uncharted B), that help may not be coming, and C) he has just found the body of one of the missing film crew.

As for the other three film crew members, we see their story through flashbacks in the form of bits of film on the cameras recovered from the island.  We learn that the redheaded chick is married to the long-haired blond guy, and that she is fond of showing off her new boobs.  We learn that the Hispanic guy has a wife back home he is deeply in love with, and that he wants the film to be a huge commercial success so he can buy her a Jaguar (and the documentary is about jaguars, catch the irony?)  And we also learn that there are carnivorous creatures on the island, barely glimpsed and poorly rendered with CGI, that have killed everybody except Lane and Michael.

Finally, at the end, when the sole survivor is rescued by a passing cabin cruiser, we learn through flashbacks the SHOCKING SECRET of the island's carnivorous inhabitants.

This film tried hard to work, but it took a LONG time to get going.  I mean, I dozed off three times in the first fifteen minutes.  Finally (about the time the redhead showed off her assets the first time) I woke up enough to finish the thing.  Some of the moments were genuinely suspenseful.  The CGI was truly awful, but it was minimal and only shown in a few scenes near the end.  The denoument was reasonable satisfactory, but overall, this one was a bad movie that tried really hard to be good.  Maybe with a bigger budget this director could turn out something better.  But it was still better than the crappy SyFy original I watched last night.

So give it a shot.  You might like it better than I did.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  UNCHARTED (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.