Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:59:11 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Interesting read: Editing Hubbard's "Mission Earth" novels. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting read: Editing Hubbard's "Mission Earth" novels.  (Read 1964 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 15, 2009, 03:49:18 AM »

So, here's an interesting article on the net, I found, but first, some background...

Say what you will about L. Ron Hubbard, but the guy sure did like to write.  Probably not as much as Stephen King, but I'd say close.  Among his other works was a looong story called Mission Earth which was split into TEN novels.  I read all of these years ago back in high school.  Basically, it's a sci-fi story about a group of humanoid aliens who send one of their own on a secret mission to save earth from destroying itself.  However, unbeknown to our hero, The Apparatus, a "secret" intelligence agency, within the alien society wants the mission to fail.  You see, the main bad guy of the series, appropriately named Lombar Hisst, is using the drugs to get various people in positions of power addicted, so he can take over the whole empire.  

Yeah, among other things, this society's pretty Utopian, there's apparently no drugs, no pollution, no psychology, and so forth.

Now, the neat thing about this article is it chronicles everything the poor guy who was assigned to be its editor had to go through.  Apparently, among other things, L RON HUBBARD'S works do not NEED editing.  In fact, the only reason the article's writer got the job was because the first editor had the GALL to write LRH and asked him if there were any particular parts of his books that he liked.  Needless to say, that editor learned quickly you don't talk to LRH that way.

Anyway, if you've ever had an interesting in the behind the scenes workings of the publish world, or what it was like to be an employ of Hubbard, or want a laugh and be thankful that your boss isn't as bad as this one, I recommend you read it.

http://www.holysmoke.org/rvy/rvy2.htm
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:57:35 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Javakoala
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:02:21 PM »

I read some of the Mission Earth books and after the first one, I was inclined to think they may have been ghost-written.  The tone and style seemed to be off after the first one.  Maybe it was just me.

But they made great paperweights!!!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »

I've read the whole set 3-4 times, I seem to be one of the few people that really likes them. I have them in hardback, which are easy to come across since they were overprinted and the COS bought them up to MAKE them into bestsellers, only to sell them to used book stores later. I believe I got the entire set, with dust jackets, for $35.00 about 15 years ago.

Personally, I didn't notice any difference from the first one, but rather I noted their consistency. Bad guys are always bad, good guys are always good, smart guys are always smart, and furthermore, when they try and do something against their character, it's disastrous. I've always said that LRH briefly describes a character upon it's introduction, then spends the rest of the book proving it. Obviously there are TONS of anti-government, anti-business, anti-media, anti-EVERYTHING overtones in his work, to a point of I would even say Anti-HUMAN, but for me it was easy to keep in mind that it's just a work of fiction, and I enjoyed the story quite a bit. One could almost say the story, if taken seriously, is a campaign AGAINST the U.S. constitution in some ways, BUT, there's no reason to take them seriously.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
BTM

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »

Obviously there are TONS of anti-government, anti-business, anti-media, anti-EVERYTHING overtones in his work, to a point of I would even say Anti-HUMAN, but for me it was easy to keep in mind that it's just a work of fiction, and I enjoyed the story quite a bit. One could almost say the story, if taken seriously, is a campaign AGAINST the U.S. constitution in some ways, BUT, there's no reason to take them seriously.

Well, been awhile since I've read it, but I distinctly remember there's a LOT of attacks against psychology and psychologists in it, so many so that some of parodies border on absurdity.  For instance, I recall a scene where a teenage girl tells the main character Soltan how her psychologist raped her.  Soltan thinks she's lying so he interviews the psychologist and he says something along the lines of, "That's ridiculous!  Besides, even if I wanted to rape someone, I have plenty of young boys as patients I could molest..."  

Then there's the denouement of the story, we they find out that pretty much everything that's been going wrong with the Federation for the last couple of decades is because of ideas the main bad guy acquired from spying on earth.

:)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Interesting read: Editing Hubbard's "Mission Earth" novels. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.