Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:54:03 PM
714487 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A random update on my job status... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A random update on my job status...  (Read 1898 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 16, 2009, 08:17:53 AM »

So, as some of you might remember I started working a while back for a hair stylist trying to help him edit two of his old websites and re-upload them to the net.

If anyone want to read the original thread, check here... http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,126256.msg281811.html#msg281811

Anyway, I'm going to give a bit of an update for anyone interested.  If not, then click here, and I'm sure another topic will come up you enjoy!  :) http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html

Still with me?  Awesome!

Well, anyhow, basically, I'm still sort of "working" for the guy.  First problem communication is not really that great with this fellow.  More often than not I find myself sending him an email, or leaving a phone message and getting back NO response.  One time I showed up at the his beauty parlor for a Wednesday meeting (we'd spoken on Monday and agreed to meet that afternoon) and he was NOT there, nor did he show up. When I spoke to him next, he didn't even bring the subject up.

Now, to be fair, I had to call in sick on one of our meetings, but still, he usually goes to the parlor on Wednesday whether I'm there or not (and I've got a thirty-five minute drive to get there.)  

Anyway, I put the files for the sites on my flash drive, took them home and began working on them.  I have NO idea if he realizes I've been working from home or not, maybe he thinks I'm just showing up at the parlor and working when he's not there.  Also not 100 percent sure I'm even going to be paid for the time I've put in at home, granted it's not too much overall (about five hours, not counting all the research I've been doing trying to figure out flash) but I'll ask him about it.

I managed to build and upload a prototype website for an energy company he's working with, this site is purely non-flash, so it was pretty easy to do.  I used graphics that were left over from the previous incarnation of the site and some extras I found on various Powerpoint presentations of company brochures he had on his computer.  

I left a message on his machine last Thursday telling him the site had been uploaded, and wanted to know what he thought.

No response.

Granted, maybe I should have shown more initiative and called him again, but I figure maybe he's busy or something.

Finally, after no word, I call him on Tuesday, leave another message and he calls me back within an hour or two.  He wants to meet with me in person today and tell me what he "likes and doesn't like" about the website.  Why we can't do that over the phone, I have no clue.  But, meeting him in person would be a good time to ask about payment.  

Now, the other website is trickier... it's completely Flash, and, although Flash has been on my "Things I Want To Learn" list for awhile, I've never gotten around to it.  I've managed to decode the website using a flash decoder and break it down to all of it's components.

I'm having some trouble with this one... Flash is a bit more complicated than it would first seem and I don't know anyone offhand who knows anything about it that can help me.  Lester gave me an address of some friends who do web design, but I never heard back from them, or some other people I'm acquainted with.

So, dunno, may have to flat out tell him, I can do the web stuff, but the Flash I'm gonna need time to learn, and I'll even do it on my own, but if he wants someone who can do it now, he'll have to go with someone else.  

Anyway, I don't want this to sound completely negative, I mean, I've learned a lot of stuff through this, gotten a little bit of experience and whatnot.  Maybe not my foot in the door, but perhaps a finger or two.  Dunno what kind of reference he'd give me (or even if I should ever put him down as one) but still, it's something.

So, anyhow, I just needed to ramble a bit, thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:55:37 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »

Well, the job sounds mixed, neither wholly good or bad. No doubt it will be a good life experience, if nothing else. 

Good luck at your meeting and do be firm about payment.  Nothing sucks more than working for free.  You two should have a very definite agreement about when, how and how much you will be paid up front, before you do any more work for him.  Preferably in writing. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »

Certainly interesting.  I always prefer jobs where I have to learn stuff, better than just doing the same old stuff all the time.

Good luck!

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »

Well, surprisingly enough, today wasn't too bad.  He actually brought up the topic of money, and didn't even blink when I told him how I'd been working on the website on my own.  I made $72 today (getting paid nine an hour.)

We spent most of today editing this word document he was making for a friend of his.  Apparently he's going into business with some woman and he wanted to take an old proposal document change a few details, and then print it out.  Honestly, I'm really not sure why he wanted me to do this, seems like he could have easily done it himself, but I guess he's not much of a hands on person (at least not in this area...) 

Talked about the "regular" website, we mentioned things he wanted me to change, and I took some notes down, then we went to another website and he had me order some business cards and other items for the new business that the website is based on. 

I gotta say, it's a weird working relationship.  I mean, one the hand, he's bit on the rigid, I want it done this way side, but on the other he's strangely open and trusting on certain things.  For instance, he doesn't even seem to think anything o the fact I know the password for his main email account. 

So, sometimes I'm like, "Yeah, this isn't too bad, making some money for doing stuff I know how to do, and I feel I'm accomplishing something production." 

But other times though I'm like, "Oh, man, I really want to call him and tell him not to bug me anymore...." 

He didn't ask about the Flash website, so I didn't say anything, I'll keep doing research though, and trying to figure it out.  If push comes to shove, I'm not going to try and bluff him just to extend my job, but still, I'm hoping I can figure out enough to muddle on through what he's wanting for that site.

Anyway, we'll have to see what happens.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A random update on my job status... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.