Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:24:05 AM
714402 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ufos and aliens. do you believe? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ufos and aliens. do you believe?  (Read 5873 times)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 20, 2009, 02:07:21 PM »

ok, i thought about this one after i posted the ghost thread. this should cover everything, monsters, supernatural and aliens. i considered posting one about god, but that always turns into a religious argument, so ill leave it alone. though, bible-thumpers often get really defensive and even offended when aliens come up in a conversation. anyway, i believe in aliens. im not hardcore about with alluminum foil on my head but i think there would have to be another civilization out there. we cantbe  the only "inteligent" race in the whole universe. if we were, man, what a waste. you cant argue with all of the video evidence out there, thats a fact. theyve probably been here all along. theyre far more advanced than anything we can even attempt to comprehend. they could control us pretty easily. seriously, were pretty primitive when you think about it, were just talking monkeys that figured out how to split atoms. opinions?

exterminate all rational thought.....
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »

I neither believe or disbelieve in aliens.  I simply remain to be convinced either way.  It certainly does not affect my faith.  I'd like to believe in alien races, but I also know how complicated the dynamics that combined to make earth suitable for life are, and thus how remote the possibility of alien life really is.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »

Here's my line of thought: With the infinite vastness of space, there has to be other forms of intelligent life, future, past, and/or present. I also believe the theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. People talk about wormholes, but I do not believe the power needed can be controlled enough for it to be useful or even safe. When people think about aliens and other life, they always approach it with a point of view of hope. I do not. Just like a family of fleas on a dog in Toledo will never meet the fleas on a cat in Taiwan, I don't think we'll meet them. There are too many things that have to happen that we have no way of controlling. Huge distances have to be spanned at a finite speed, requiring huge amounts of energy and resources, with countless unforeseeable problems to make it fail. People often feel with infinite time everything it is possible for man to figure out. I don't believe that for several reasons, the first of which is that I don't believe our time is infinite, and we are doing quite a bit to not only prove that, but also to make that happen. Second, impossible means impossible, and some things are just that. We as humans have problems making something last 40 years, do people really believe we can make something that lasts the hundreds of centuries needed to make the voyage in such a hostile environment as space, while harboring things as delicate as life and what is needed to support it? I just don't see it. I've heard people refer to cars and planes in this same discussion, but they both need tons of maintenance on a regular basis, maintenance that can't be performed while under way. Even if we DID somehow get to the nearest solar system, there's still a near certain chance there's no life in it, even in the one in who-knows-what odds that there either was or will be.

The only way I see us meeting is by totally random chance. Just the same a a person from Toledo can take their dog on vacation with them to Taiwan, I think the only way we meet is from the random chance of some wormhole-type scenario that is totally without control.

Believe me, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just don't think it's gonna happen.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:54:56 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:59:52 PM »

Good points all, GHouck! But let me point out one thing . . .

while it is true modern man seemingly cannot make anything last for more than 40 years, the Romans made roads that are still usable 2100 years later - and the Egyptians' pyramids are still standing, virtually untouched by time, 4500 years after they were completed.  This summer I found a 12,000 year old Clovis point that was undamaged.  I guess what I am saying is that human artifacts CAN last, if they are made with sufficient care, of the right materials.  Now, whether any high-tech device can last the length of time it would take to make a voyage in deep space . . . . .

who knows?  But I doubt there are any other civilizations out there waiting to be found.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »

Exactly my point though: A spearhead: 12000 years. Simple roads: 2100 years. Cars: 40 years. Space Shuttles: 25 years. How short is the lifespan of something of intergalactic complexity going to be. Notice the more pieces it has, the shorter it's lifespan (generally).

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »

I certainly believe in life on other planets.  Whether or not it's advanced enough to travel here to Earth is the real question.     

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »

For three years when I was growing up we lived not far from an international airport and in the evenings we'd sit out on the deck in the warm months and watch airplanes come in to land on the horizon, maybe ten miles off. We got so good at ID-ing aircraft that we knew the various models and flight paths and even knew Air National Guard jets on training flights. (As I recall those were F111s.)

But there were also from time to time strange lights in the sky. Lights that used to seem to zoom away and blink out at several times the speed of even the fastest jets. We'd watch lights stay stationary for minutes, hovering, changing colors, and then they'd move in fast horizontal changes in position. One second the light would be to the left and in the blink of an eye the same light would be far across the horizon in the other direction. We saw lights and presumably the craft behind them doing things that apparently defied physics and the abilities of all known aircraft. We saw these lights so often...maybe once a week for years, it got to be no big deal, we'd just watch the freakish show as they'd spin and dip and streak across the sky and stop on a dime. The neighbors knew about them. Friends would come over and watch them. Nobody made a big deal of it. We called them UFOs and for lack of a better term I guess that was a good name.

I don't know if that qualifies as seeing aliens but I have no idea how aircraft could fly so fast and do everything they did. Maybe they were time travelers? Ha.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 01:13:42 AM »

I believe in life in space, especially with the microbes they found, but I don't believe in sophisticated life in space.  That is not to say that I don't think it's possible, I just haven't seen any evidence of it yet.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 02:26:28 AM »

Exactly my point though: A spearhead: 12000 years. Simple roads: 2100 years. Cars: 40 years. Space Shuttles: 25 years. How short is the lifespan of something of intergalactic complexity going to be. Notice the more pieces it has, the shorter it's lifespan (generally).

Agreed.

I believe in the possibility of life on other planets.
The universe is just too vast for there not to be other life elsewhere.

If the human race ever makes contact with an alien civilization, it will be faaaaaar into the future (hundreds of years) when the technology is advanced enough, or, they will contact us.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:29:49 AM by Ash » Logged
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 06:41:49 AM »

I am not sure if intelligent life exist or not. Not in space but on our own planet. Humans do have a tendency to do some of the dumbest things possible at times.  TeddyR
Seriously on the subject at hand, it is possible that intelligent life exists but I seriously doubt if discovered we would ever be able to communicate with them, let alone understand their behavior. Just look at how much we still don't understand about the behavior of the many species we share this planet with now. Now add in developing on a completely alien world with unknown factors involved in their evolution, physical, social, and psychological development, you get beings which we would have no common point of reference to relate with. Also consider that they may not even develop organs we possess like vocal cords or ears. They might communicate completely by sign language, body language or visual cues. All we have to do is look to our own world where we don't all speak the same language or have similar cultures. That indicates how difficult even basic communication would be if we were to make contact with an intelligent life form on another planet.
I suspect that if any aliens are visiting us, they either considered us dangerous creatures or view us as little more than lab rats, perhaps both. We do have a tendency towards violence and conquest in our nature. Sure we strive to over come those urges but our own history as a species tends to show it all to well. If aliens are visiting us, I suspect this is why they have not attempted contact with humans on a wide scale basis. Odds are we would just try to kill them and cut them up to see what makes them work.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 07:13:21 AM »

Given the size of the universe, it wouldn't surprise me if there were thousands of intelligent civilizations out there.  But you can't travel faster than the speed of light, so I don't think they've visited us.  If you wanted to travel 50,000 light years, you'd need to send an entire breeding population along, about 1,000 people assuming they're like us, if you wanted anyone other than inbred morons to be left when you arrived at your destination.  And the ship would have to be big enough to grow food for all those people.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
3mnkids

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 07:30:49 AM »

I believe.   Smile

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 11:07:21 AM »

I believe intelligent life exists on other planets.  Damn . . . the universe is too big to have only one plant with intelligent life on it.  However, I believe the chances that intelligent beings from other planets have visited earth are pretty slim.  With so many planets and so many miles between them, the odds that others could even find us are astronomically (no pun intended) low.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

What ghouck said. I believe there's life out there, probably intelligent life. I don't believe they're here or they've ever been here, or that anyone has ever even gotten a signal from them.

But I don't rule out the possibility that we'll exchange signals some day if we send probes to other star systems.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 12:31:23 PM »

Let's just say that I want to believe. :-)

In 1975, a UFO was reported to have landed on the cricket field at Riverside Primary School, Gwelo, Rhodesia and took off shortly thereafter.

The entire school saw the marks on the field, including yours truly who was eight at the time.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ufos and aliens. do you believe? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.