Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:03:05 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Do you think The Shawshank Redemption... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do you think The Shawshank Redemption...  (Read 7797 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »

Wow, that's a bit harsh.  I think Shawshank is a fine film, and is a pretty decent representative of it's genre.  It has a very authentic feel to it's various periods, and I believed that in the outside world, the 1940's through the 1960's were really happening.  I don't know if it belongs in the top 250 of all time, that's a tall order, but I would put it in the ballpark, and maybe squeaking in at the very bottom at that. 

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »

It is a movie that to the average person has that 'greatest movie ever' feel to it

That fact alone is proof positive that it does not belong anywhere near the top 250.

The top #250 on the IMDB is as voted by IMDB users...  That's pretty close to "average people".  It's not a top 250 films of all time as decided by film critics or some such.  So, the fact that average people think it's one of the best films ever means the top 250 on IMDB reflects that.  Just worth remembering.

It's an ongoing popular poll, that's all.  I might also add there are only 11 movies in the top 50 films made in the past 10 years.  27 of the top 50 are more than 20 years old - in fact, 25 of those 27 are 30 years old or older. There are even seven silent films on the list (unrelated note - I don't think The General deserves a spot in the top #250...  The most boring and unfunny thing of Keaton's I've ever seen). 

Looking at the top 12 films by themselves...  I would personally put Shawshank at the end of that list.  I do think it's better than #13, Return of the King, though.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »

... I might also add there are only 11 movies in the top 50 films made in the past 10 years.  27 of the top 50 are more than 20 years old - in fact, 25 of those 27 are 30 years old or older. There are even seven silent films on the list (unrelated note - I don't think The General deserves a spot in the top #250...  The most boring and unfunny thing of Keaton's I've ever seen)...
Discussions like this one prove that film is moderated by taste as in all art;  I think THE GENERAL is a remarkable film, one that would be impossible to recreate today, and while not BUSTER KEATON's funniest, it is his most fully realized project.  I think THE GENERAL belongs in the top 25, let alone top 250.   Smile 

As for SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION it's seen so much airplay on USA TV that it's bound to get threadbare and yield backlash.  It's a very good movie, not one of my favorites, but I will tell you it is a vast improvement over STEPHEN KING's novella (yup, go back and read it after seeing the flick, and you'll see how much in the film wasn't in the book). 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »

... I might also add there are only 11 movies in the top 50 films made in the past 10 years.  27 of the top 50 are more than 20 years old - in fact, 25 of those 27 are 30 years old or older. There are even seven silent films on the list (unrelated note - I don't think The General deserves a spot in the top #250...  The most boring and unfunny thing of Keaton's I've ever seen)...
Discussions like this one prove that film is moderated by taste as in all art;  I think THE GENERAL is a remarkable film, one that would be impossible to recreate today, and while not BUSTER KEATON's funniest, it is his most fully realized project.  I think THE GENERAL belongs in the top 25, let alone top 250.   Smile 

As for SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION it's seen so much airplay on USA TV that it's bound to get threadbare and yield backlash.  It's a very good movie, not one of my favorites, but I will tell you it is a vast improvement over STEPHEN KING's novella (yup, go back and read it after seeing the flick, and you'll see how much in the film wasn't in the book). 

Yeah, the General I recall as being one of the biggest disappointments I've seen.  It's also one of a handful of "great films" that I can't even appreciate from other standpoints...  Like, The Godfather 2 is not a film that I LIKE.  It's so dark (literally and figuratively), dreary, and depressing I find it difficult to watch.  But I can appreciate what incredible film making it is.  The General, aside from a few of the remarkable stunt/epic sequences, I found dull, plodding, and without charm or characters worth watching.  Maybe I should stop ragging on it now though.  :)

On the novella of Shawshank...  There's also a number of things from the novella left out of the film (details of prison life and Andy's trial, as I recall).  I might add the narration is practically word for word.  They're actually quite similar, the movie basically took elements out of the book and exaggerated them.  Like the warden, who is far less over-the-top in the novella (I particularly like how he deals with the witness that will help Andy in the novella, which is far more realistic).  I quite like both, but I think I would overall put the film on top as well.
darthchicken
Bad Movie Lover

"If my rhyme was a drug, I'd sell it by the gram"

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »

I'd say that it does deserve to be in the top 100. probably not the top ten though.

The one that really gets me is how the Dark Knight is up there. It was good, but not that good.

"His coconut gun can fire in spurts. If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!" - James Madison
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 06:06:36 PM »

Yeah, the General I recall as being one of the biggest disappointments I've seen.  It's also one of a handful of "great films" that I can't even appreciate from other standpoints...  Like, The Godfather 2 is not a film that I LIKE.  It's so dark (literally and figuratively), dreary, and depressing I find it difficult to watch.  But I can appreciate what incredible film making it is.  The General, aside from a few of the remarkable stunt/epic sequences, I found dull, plodding, and without charm or characters worth watching.  Maybe I should stop ragging on it now though.  :)

I agree with you about THE GENERAL; I find it overrated.  Keaton's stunt work was amazing; if you could isolate that one element, it would be a five-star film.  But I found the surrounding story flat and uninspiring. 

I've never read it, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the screenplay for SHAWSHANK was better than King's novella.  It would just be THE SHINING all over again...

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 07:26:02 PM »

I'd say that it does deserve to be in the top 100. probably not the top ten though.

The one that really gets me is how the Dark Knight is up there. It was good, but not that good.

Yeah, I think the Dark Knight may have had some fake votes to get it that high.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »

Votes are somewhat skewed towards newer releases, DARK KNIGHT will fall over time.  It's a very good movie, but no way its top 250 material IMO.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Torgo

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »

I think it's a great film but being ahead of movies like Citizen Kane, Seven Samurai & Dr. Strangelove? I don't think so. I've always thought it belonged somewhere between 200 and 250.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 12:23:14 PM »

Votes are somewhat skewed towards newer releases, DARK KNIGHT will fall over time.  It's a very good movie, but no way its top 250 material IMO.

That's true.  The younger (my) generation is more likely to watch The Dark Knight then watch a movie that's been out for 15+ years.  And then, in turn, rate the movie really high.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Do you think The Shawshank Redemption... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.