Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:56:39 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  COLOSSUS:THE FORBIN PROJECT (1970) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: COLOSSUS:THE FORBIN PROJECT (1970)  (Read 7394 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: September 03, 2009, 06:31:35 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/

anyone here seen this one? been reading a few reviews on amazon, seems to be regarded as a bit of a cult classic. the DVD is $69 though  Thumbdown

I like the whole 'super-computer becomes more intelligent than humans and takes over the world' premise - there's an episode of the 70's Bionic Woman called 'Doomsday Is Forever' which is on a similar theme, and that was pretty cool...

any opinions?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »

Saw it years ago and liked it.  Lots of tension, good characterization (even Colossus!)  Definitely a 'classic' in a Cold War sort of way.  Well worth a look.  The book was great.  Wink

Not sure that I would go $69 for it; but that depends on how serious a 'collector' one is, I suppose.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »

I'm not a serious collector - I just want to see it, lol

maybe time for a re-release....

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:37:48 AM »

Yep. It was a made-for-TV movie, I saw it when it first came out. The US supercomputer meets the Russian supercomputer and they decide to get together and take over the world.

I suppose it was OK, but even as a kid I thought the premise was stupid.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 12:41:46 PM »

I had a VHS copy a few years ago and I thought it was a pretty good (but extremely dated) sci-fi thriller with a Cold war theme.  There was definitely a cheaper version of the DVD available not too long ago, but it appears that it may be out of print now.  I'm sure if you wait a year or two, you'll see another DVD release in the $10 - $20 range.  But I wouldn't spend $69 to buy it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »

just added it to my netflix cue. I have unlimited so that's a cost of about ...79 cents?
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 08:47:37 PM »

Yep. It was a made-for-TV movie, I saw it when it first came out. The US supercomputer meets the Russian supercomputer and they decide to get together and take over the world.

I suppose it was OK, but even as a kid I thought the premise was stupid.

thanks, didn't know it was originally a TV movie. but is the premise really that stupid - the assumption that one day a computer will be able to independently detect another computer in a completely different part of the world, and converse with it? ...we're already at the stage where information technology is accelerating at such a speed that any student who embarks on a 3-year I.T. study course will be faced with the fact that by the time they reach year 3, nearly everything they learnt in year 1 will already be out-dated... I'm no conspiracy theorist or anything but it makes you wonder.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:00:19 PM by DCA » Logged

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 01:10:47 AM »

[checks movie connections]

Of course.  They're remaking it.   Lookingup
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 06:46:28 PM »

Watched this last night

This is from 1970 but it looks like it was made a few years earlier.  Then it's doubly weird because it's hard to tell when this movie is supposed to take place.  Everyone has shorter hair than people had in 1970, but they are all working for the governement so it could be the present, but then at one point the guy is playing chess and the board has all these weird pieces.  I really can't tell but if they had made it more obvious it was set in the distand future that would have helped alot.  This was an early in the cycle conspiracy type sci fi movie that we would see rather alot of in the 70's.  stuff like "Demon Seed" and "lathe of heaven" had more color and depth respectively, but this is similarly engrossing once you get past how absurd it would be for the governmetn to put all it's missiles in the posession of some machine someone just invented and so forth.

Minor complaints would be  I don't like how noble the government officials are,  you know they would be cozying up to colossus and throwing each under the bus.  Also, the Colosuss claims to be anti war, but it's got the whole world under martial law, so what's the difference?  I'd like to debate this with it 4/5

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:08:50 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »

Watched this last night

This is from 1970 but it looks like it was made a few years earlier.  Then it's doubly weird because it's hard to tell when this movie is supposed to take place.  Everyone has shorter hair than people had in 1970, but they are all working for the governement so it could be the present, but then at one point the guy is playing chess and the board has all these weird pieces.  I really can't tell but if they had made it more obvious it was set in the distand future that would have helped alot.  This was an early in the cycle conspiracy type sci fi movie that we would see rather alot of in the 70's.  stuff like "Demon Seed" and "lathe of heaven" had more color and depth respectively, but this is similarly engrossing once you get past how absurd it would be for the governmetn to put all it's missiles in the posession of some machine someone just invented and so forth.

Meanwhile, the whole thing is a just a scam so the main scientist guy can make time with the hot scientist underling via "we'll explain that because we are lovers we have to be off camera and I'll give you the secret info there".  NO really, it was a good plan, just don't try it if my wife is working there.  .  and I don't like how noble the government officials are,  you know they would be cozying up to colossus and throwing each under the bus.  the Colosuss cliams to be anti war, but it's got the whole world under martial law, so what's the difference?  I'd like to debate this  with it
thanks for the mini-review. I have yet to see it, but maybe someone else who has can debate this with you... ultimately though, did you think it was a 'good movie' (i.e. worth watching?)...

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 08:50:10 AM »

yes. it was not boring. I should have added the number 4.5 /5

weird thing about the DVD:  it's not widescreen which doesn't bother me but it had NO MENU!  you can pause it and stuff but there is not even a page for menu
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  COLOSSUS:THE FORBIN PROJECT (1970) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.