Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:10:50 PM
714481 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Metropolis (1927) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Metropolis (1927)  (Read 2985 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: October 24, 2009, 11:06:24 AM »

I'm checking into this movie recently since I got it in my Horror Classics 50 Movie Set (It is more sci-fi than horror from my understanding, but I won't complain).  It is said to be very... very good, influenced most science fiction movies to this day, and has been able to stand the test of time.  Personally, for those of you who have seen it, do you agree with those statements about the film?  How good is this film?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 04:47:44 PM »

I'm checking into this movie recently since I got it in my Horror Classics 50 Movie Set (It is more sci-fi than horror from my understanding, but I won't complain).  It is said to be very... very good, influenced most science fiction movies to this day, and has been able to stand the test of time.  Personally, for those of you who have seen it, do you agree with those statements about the film?  How good is this film?

It's great, 5/5.  One of my favorites of all time, and definitely one of few silent films that still holds up for modern audiences.  Definitely sci-fi, not horror at all.  The Mill Creek version isn't the best, though, but it's good enough for an introduction.  If you're entranced by the movie, you'll want to look for a restored print with a good soundtrack. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »

5 out of 5 as well but the themes of this movie scare me, so I think it has horror elements, but that's just me.

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »

definitely one of few silent films that still holds up for modern audiences.  

It's a great movie.  I love it.  But to say that it holds up for modern audiences is a bit of a stretch.  I don't think there is any movie from the silent era that would hold the attention of modern audiences.  Unless you mean the modern old sci-fi/horror and b-movie watching audience, or the modern film history buff audience.
BounceGiggle

Remember, even the classic "King Kong" had to be horribly remade by Peter Jackson to attract "modern audiences."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:46:32 PM by the ghoul » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:39:49 AM »

definitely one of few silent films that still holds up for modern audiences.  

It's a great movie.  I love it.  But to say that it holds up for modern audiences is a bit of a stretch.  I don't think there is any movie from the silent era that would hold the attention of modern audiences.  Unless you mean the modern old sci-fi/horror and b-movie watching audience, or the modern film history buff audience.
BounceGiggle

Remember, even the classic "King Kong" had to be horribly remade by Peter Jackson to attract "modern audiences."

You're right, of course.  I didn't mean the average audience in the general population, but the "average" reader of this site, who is willing to take a lot more chances on movies.

I'm a film buff myself, and most silent movies leave me cold.  But horror & sci-fi work best as silents, because the silent movie atmosphere is so otherworldly and dreamlike.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »

You're right, of course.  I didn't mean the average audience in the general population, but the "average" reader of this site, who is willing to take a lot more chances on movies.

I can definitely agree with that.

Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »

I can definitely agree that Metropolis, and most silent films would be tedious to many of the modern day movie viewing public. I myself enjoy them immensely, and have seen Metropolis many times over the years. I used to have it on laserdisc at one point. What I am excited about though is the "lost footage" print that was discovered out of Buenos Aires a couple of years ago. From what I remember an enterprising theater owner with some foresight simply did not return the print to be destroyed, much like what happened to Murnau's Nosferatu following the loss of its copyright infringement case against Stoker's widow. This brings hope that someday London After Midnight will turn up.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1820743,00.html

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »

This is one of my favourite of the silent era films: Great set design and that robot design on the posters is fantastic.  There's a store near me that has a lifesize Maria Robot in their window.  I want...  Thumbup

I've got a soundtrack from this movie on LP which has songs by Queen and Pat Benatar on it.  I've yet to dare put it on, but it's pretty funny that they did it.  Kind of like the ACDC version.

One of my life goals is to re-record a soundtrack for Metropolis.  Fun times.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Metropolis (1927) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.