Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:26:27 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Annual Anti-Christmas Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Annual Anti-Christmas Thread  (Read 11263 times)
Javakoala
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »

I agree with loathing the expectation that you should celebrate the holiday like everyone else. Working in an office environment has already led to a number of problems. The senior rep in our group does monthly team building meetings. For November's meeting: decorating our area for Christmas. "Does anyone have a problem with this?" I raise my hand. "Oh, just one? Okay, well, we can hang tinsel and streamers and..."

And even people who say they understand you don't care to celebrate the holiday will ask, "So do you have your tree up?" I don't want a tree, I don't have room for one even if I did and why would I mess with one when I will be the ONLY PERSON TO SEE IT?!? "You mean, you aren't going to put up a tree?"

When they ask if I intend to do ANYTHING for the holidays, I tell them I usually watch "Christmas Evil" every year. They give me a disgusted look like I flung poo at them. If I think I might not care for an answer to a question (and it isn't really any of my damn business any way), I DON'T ASK!!!

I don't hate Christmas, although I don't buy into the cobbled together myth it is built around, but I just don't celebrate it. Can't people understand that? Really, is it that hard?
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »

Java, you've pretty much mirrored many of my sentiments. If one chooses not to celebrate or enjoy Christmas it is their business and vice versa.  If it wasn't for my wife and kids there would be NO tree in my house as well.   Regardless of the tradition and it's symbolism, I think putting a tree in a house for a month is just a silly idea.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total Scrooge if you can believe it.  One of my all time favorite movies is A Christmas Story and I love the old favs like Rudolph.  I also blindly hum along to many Christmas favorites when I hear them in the supermarket.  The food and parties are always wonderful.  However for me, its all overblown and overratted.  There is no rule saying you have to like this holiday nor is there a rule about liking it.  I love Halloween but would never question a person's judgement if they chose not to dress up or decorate their house.  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:40:42 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
venomx
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 07:17:26 PM »

"Anti-Christmas Thread" Hmmm ...

Anyone up for some coal in their stockings?
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 11:27:40 PM »

My big Christmas celebrations are to watch Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and tell my youngest cousins about Knecht Ruprecht AKA Krampus, Santa's special helper, who travels the world beating the stuffing out of bad children, and casting the baddest of them into the fiery maw of hell.  He also harasses nubile young women with his infinitely long tongue. 

The Germans have the best holiday traditions. 

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 12:31:51 AM »

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said.

I loved Christmas as a kid, and even as a teenager and a young man, and all of the things I like about it are still there, but there is a whole heap of stress piled on top.

I liked it when my Christmas basically involved watching cartoon specials and old movies for a couple of weeks, having time off to relax, and a fairly simple and predictable family tradition. I could count on a nice pizza dinner Christmas Eve, a brief lessons-and-carols service at church and some celebrating with friends of the family who always put on a nice Christmas Eve party. It would be presents in the morning, turkey dinner at noon, stockings immediately after, and the rest of the day to play with the new toys, sit and veg in front of the TV, or in later years, relax for hours with a good book and a glass of whiskey. Relatives would come to our house on Boxing Day, and we'd have lasagna, probably the most efficient way to serve a satisfying meal to a large group. Simple.

Working at a newspaper taught me that Christmas means a hell of a lot of work to do, whether you're designing the ads for every business that just wants to say hello once a year or covering the pile of events happening in the community. And when you get that busy, it gets harder to do your shopping. And when you do get out shopping, there's nowhere to park and the stores are packed with people. If I had to list the things I find most stressful, I'd include having a lot of work ahead of me, leaving some time-sensitive task (such as Christmas shopping) until the last minute, making my way through a crowd and driving in heavy traffic. Christmas offers all of these in abundance.

And then there is the expectation that I will get out to see every single relative, regardless of how far apart they live or how varied their schedules are. For me, Christmas was a good day to barricade yourself in the house with snacks, games and movies. These days, it usually involves a lengthy road trip, which is another whole variety of stress.

And my wife and I have very different experiences with Christmas.  I grew up in a household that valued efficiency in our holidays, and we kept them as streamlined as possible. For us, the crowning achievement was when Uncle Bev figured out that he could put casters on his artificial tree and keep it, fully decorated, in a basement closet. Just wheel it out, whip off the plastic cover and plug it in. Then cover it and shove it back in the closet after the 25th. For many years, Thanksgiving and Easter involved taking Grandma out to a Chinese buffet. And my dad's preferred method of buying gifts for the grown kids and the grandkids is to wire funds to our bank accounts and let us figure it out. I can never tell if my wife finds these things amusing or appalling, but suffice to say, she's more traditional.

Actually, I had my most relaxing Christmasses in years during the late 90s, when I volunteered to work Christmas Day and got to forgo the family obligations. I covered one free turkey dinner at a local restaurant, ate one free turkey dinner at a local restaurant, and spent the rest of the day watching b-grade horror and action movies and sipping at a gift basket of imported beers someone sent me.

I will admit, having kids does seem to put the magic back into Christmas. I just wish I could recapture some of the efficiency.

On the plus side, I am out of newspapers for good. But I now own a store, so I don't know if the Christmas workload with change. At least now more work equals more money.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 09:18:15 AM »

I saw that Fox News has already started off their "War on Christmas" rubbish, with this debate over a nativity scene in the WA state Capitol.  The religious extremists in this country don't seem to realize that this only leads to even more extreme behavior from the Atheists, and when the Atheists do all these provocative displays against religion, it just leads to the religious extremists getting even more ticked off.  It's action and reaction.

I always thought I was a Christian, but I guess I'm not anymore, since I don't believe in the complete infallibility of the bible, the idea of humans and dinosaurs co-existing, or the idea that homosexuals and non-Christians are automatically going to hell.  At the same time, though, I can't see myself as an Atheist, because I can't simply just think that this world is all we get, or that there is nothing more to the universe than what science can tell us.  I don't have a place on either side. 

My point is, Christmas should simply be Christmas, whatever Christmas may mean to one person or another.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »

I always thought I was a Christian, but I guess I'm not anymore, since I don't believe in the complete infallibility of the bible, the idea of humans and dinosaurs co-existing, or the idea that homosexuals and non-Christians are automatically going to hell.  At the same time, though, I can't see myself as an Atheist, because I can't simply just think that this world is all we get, or that there is nothing more to the universe than what science can tell us.  I don't have a place on either side. 

I'd say a significant portion, possibly even a majority of Christians believe exactly what you do. It's just that the extremists don't think we count, and they're louder.

Sounds like you identify culturally as Christian, but your personal beliefs are more agnostic deist - God is definitely there, but humans simply don't have the capacity to understand him/it as well as they'd like to think.

Extreme Christians and extreme atheists are actually more alike than either would admit. In many cases, the extreme atheists and extreme Christians come from a similarly strict religious background. Both believe that if the Bible isn't 100 percent factual, then it's a lie. The only difference is whether, in the face of cultural pressures and scientific evidence, they decide it's a lie or cling to the idea that it's 100 percent factual.

The third option is to see religion as a living, growing thing, and believe that greater knowledge can lead us to greater truth. As Einstein said, "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

Anyway, getting back on topic, Christmas is really stressful, with all of the deadlines and obligations attached to what is supposed to be fun.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »

I said previously that I like Christmas, but I also said that I didn't like it when people celebrate it too early, like before Halloween or Thanksgiving.  Here's a prime example of that.  I was at the Hard Rock Cafe on Thanksgiving during my vacation to Kest West.  All of a sudden, a music video for a Christmas song started playing and groaned.  I mean come on!  It's Thanksgiving!  Start playing it afterwards.  One of the employees told us that the company promised that they would start playing Christmas songs after Thanksgiving and said how frustrated he was with this.

Song was find and all, but everytime the sing said Merry Christmas, I said outloud Merry Thanksgiving.  It got a couple of laughs.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 05:56:41 PM »

Well starting tommorw it should fly by wicked fast.  We are currently planning our holiday buffett and its less than two weeks away.  Wow. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 06:17:41 PM »

We already have our tree up. If it was my house it probably would not be up till the 23.

Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 06:41:34 PM »

Christmas is just not the same anymore.  When I was a kid I loved it.   When I became a young mother of two young children, it became more complicated with more responsibility, but I still loved it.  But as my kids got older Christmas began costing a hell of a lot more and I began to feel like I was just going "through the motions."

Now my kids are grown with kids of their own. I love my grandkids (got 5 all under 9) but I actually feel very "blue" around the holidays. A lot of years have passed ... and also a lot of family members too.  I don't hate Christmas ... I just REMEMBER a simpler time.

Hold onto your dreams ....
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »

I can't join this party either.  I like the adjunct portions of christmas and refuse to buy into the commercial aspects, and a lot of the religious ones.  I will not go to Jerrod, or stand in line for the latest toy for my child and join a mob scene, or even go to church or think on the Nativity.  Nor Do I think its OK, to put of christmas crap on October 15th in the shops. 

I will spend speical time with those relatives I care about, teach my child some traditions which I think are important,  make a special meal, and enjoy myself. 

Its a big old buffet, pick what you want and leave the rest...even if what you want to do is bemoan that its not what you want. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »

Small | Large

Small | Large
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »

I have pretty awful memories of Christmas as a child, I don't feel the need to get into them.
I really like Thanksgiving and Halloween more than this holiday, because Thanksgiving all you do is eat food with family and end up with leftovers. Halloween you drink beer and watch movies with friends whilst handing out candy to youngsters. There's never so much hype around these two holidays.
The gift-giving aspect of Christmas sucks, I never want anything that I can't get myself ya know. But if someone get you a gift be damned if you can't match theirs. When all is said and done Christmas is like Thanksgiving but with gifts, we really don't need the two month long hype.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 11:37:17 PM »

I love the Grinch (except for the part at the end when he sells out). Smile

Small | Large
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Annual Anti-Christmas Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.