Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:12:11 PM
714528 Posts in 53099 Topics by 7745 Members
Latest Member: Documentkgh
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Disclaimer: I promise this is not intended as a wind-up. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Disclaimer: I promise this is not intended as a wind-up.  (Read 3663 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »

Some is good, and some is not.  I love the old Bubblegum crisis, Macross, and Ghost in the Shell.  But thst good storytelling in an anime format. 
I don't like the conventions of anime (not the weirdos dressed up like Sailor moon, but the "Creepy Big Eyed small mouth Women and Heroes with Impossible Hair, and Big Mouthed Kid (think Spridle)).  ANd Hentai makes me wanna puke.

I hate that its bleeding into other "American" cartoons.   For example, the Teen Titans annoys the heck out of me.  Why take perfectly godo cartoon cahracters and make them um cartoony?   So I'm not quite wound up.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Javakoala
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »

I can understand your comment on Perfect Blue, but I think it works as an anime because of some of the things they attempted. To do some of those shots "live" would require CGI and the visual effect would be distracting. Having said that, there is a movie, live action, that does incredible things with multiple images on screen at once and it enhances the film once you get into the flow of it. "The Tracy Fragments" is one of those films that actually made me said "Wow" out loud as I watched it.

Do they actually put that "multi-images" thing to good use, or is it more of a gimmick?  I mean, film reminds me a bit of Timecode, a film with a similar stunt where they have the screen divided up into four windows, each going simultaneously in based one entire take.  The sound would switch to whatever "section" where the main action was occuring.  While an interesting idea, the story didn't really warrant it.

The screen image fragments according to how disjointed the main character feels, in most cases. There is one scene where she sneaks out a door and what they do with that image and how they repeat it is amazing and can actually make you motion sick on a bad day.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 06:38:11 PM »

Hard to talk about anime as a single genre. I love some anime, but a lot of it doesn't interest me. Usually, I prefer space battles, giant mecha, monsters, etc. Stuff like Yamato, Evangelion, Patlabor and the like. My taste in anime is pretty specific. Once in a while, I'll enjoy something outside that. I can even say I've seen the odd bit of hentai in the past, and found some of it weirdly entertaining. But anything outside space battle/robot/monster anime is hit or miss. Basically, I like in anime what I like in any other movie, but don't necessarily find in other movies. But a lot of anime doesn't interest me at all. If there aren't massive starships or giant robots, forget it.

Wow! Now that's the closest I've ever seen anyone mirror my own particular tastes when it comes to anime. Of course I also love some of the deep dark Horror anime stories like DEMON CITY SHINJUKA and VAMPIRE HUNTER D and some of the green-themed save the planet  SF like THE E.Y.E.S. OF MARS and GREEN LEGEND RAN.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 11:36:20 PM »

Small | Large

I remember watching "anime" on TV as a kid, like "Gigantor" and "Speed Racer" and "King Kong" maybe "Astro Boy" and I enjoyed them, though it's been decades.  I've seen other animations from Japan, certainly world-class... frightening supernatural tales, bloody warrior clashes with stunning action, magnificently drawn snowscapes, always with an aesthetic that wasn't American (a lot of Russian animations of the '50s and '60s share similar qualities) but, I'm not exactly into animation of any type, though there are certainly a few animated films that are very close to my heart.  
This is the best part when the Snow Queen comes to the window...
Small | Large

This one here so you can see in the still what she looks like:
Small | Large

The rest is available on youtube, the opening below (I don't care so much for the elf, but he only introduces the story):
Small | Large

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:41:22 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »

Maybe that's my aversion. I'm not huge into animation, but what I do like is irreverent American comedy animation, i.e. Family Guy/South Park. That's more my bag. Whole different world than anime.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 02:15:28 PM »

not to be a huge jerk but occasionally I go to the local library and use the internet just to get out of the house and maybe take out a book.  The high school has an anime club that meets there and god bless em, the kids could not possibly be goofier.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »

Heh, heh. I can imagine. However, I'm a former RPG geek so I can't judge.

Smile

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 05:37:27 PM »

theres nothing to "get" with anime. its just animation, either you like it or dont. there just cartoons for adults. i agree with just about everything thats been posted on this thread, the positive and negative. i can understand why someone wouldnt like it. im sick of the way the style has influenced everything too, and i cant stand the big-eyed hyper thing either. in fact, i cant even watch a majority of anime i think its unimaginative crap, especially shows.  but there are a couple of films that are special to me. when i first saw an anime film, i was hooked. it was like i discovered something new and exiting, so i would rent as many as i could. 9 out of 10 films i didnt like. correct me if im wrong, ive heard these films referred to as "japanimation" and not anime, i assume theyre the same thing, if not, let me know. anyway, i would like to list a couple that are special to me:
-Battle Angle : i thought this was great animation and a great story. james cameron bought the rights to make a real movie. im still waiting.
-Ghost in the shell : another great one. this was ahead of its time.
-Ghost in the Shell 2 : a beautifully done movie. if you havent seen this one, watch it. this deserves to be watched on an HD tv. its very     deep too. seriously.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Javakoala
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »

not to be a huge jerk but occasionally I go to the local library and use the internet just to get out of the house and maybe take out a book.  The high school has an anime club that meets there and god bless em, the kids could not possibly be goofier.

Well...I wouldn't say "huge"....

Almost everyone is goofy in somebody's eyes.  And as long as it keeps them out on my way, leave them be.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »

sorry for the double post, i get exited when i talk about movies sometimes.
i also like these:
-Akira : this one was done very well. i think its underappreciated. this was all done by hand back in '88 or '89 i think. come on, is anything done by hand anymore?
-Ninja scroll : if you ever watch anime, this one is mandatory. very well done and very mature. i very much disliked the sequels for some reason.
-Spriggan - nothing special really, the animation was good with a good story.
-Devil May Cry - most modern anime looks to polished for me. this one was kind of boring to me, i liked the way it looked though.

there are a couple of others as well, im trying to stop typing. its been a good while since ive seen anything interesting to me. these are just my opinions.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Disclaimer: I promise this is not intended as a wind-up. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.