Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:02:56 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Pros & Novices  |  Working with a $20 budget... and trying to make it work. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Working with a $20 budget... and trying to make it work.  (Read 15112 times)
KreepLX
Dedicated Viewer

« on: November 10, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »

My friend and I have been creating a horror / post apocalyptic series from a silly idea. Well, let me start with our story. I travel a lot and we sometimes go shooting in the desert when he isn't working and I am in town. We started taping silly stuff when we went out because we wanted to capture some of the cool stuff we shoot (search user sks447 on youtube to check them out). We saw a lot of gun videos on youtube so we took out the cameras and some old Halloween costumes because you really don't see people shooting real guns dressed funny. So, we made a pilot video... and man it is bad (if you want to see that search guns beer and demons pilot on atom.com). Over the course of a couple months, we taped little mini-episodes and then re-cut the original video and added special effects. This has really been a learning experience with filming style, camera angles, story lines, props, and using adobe's video software. Most of the effects are freebies from detonation films but the next time we go out, we have some really good ideas and we are going to make a story line, script, and use ourselves as human actors. Please understand we are still learning and my buddy Spielberg is a little busy but I think they were done very well for the $20 in garage sale props, Halloween costumes from the attic, and bullets for the guns. You think we are headed towards a good direction? Any advice helps. There is a lot of experience here in these forums. Any feedback will help us in our ventures....

The videos, in order of series...
Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large
SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:12:32 AM »

Well, I can't comment on the story/audio because I don't have speakers on my computer.  But the special effects were pretty good.  In the first one, I'm assuming the tank footage was stock footage or the like.   You might want to change the Hue, Saturation, etc on the tank footage to match the footage you shot.

That's all I can really say.  Other than that it seems to be pretty good.  Thumbup
paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:43:56 AM »

episode 3:

so THATS why Sera's car seat is screwed up!  that thing took a lickin and kept on tickin

episode 4:

how many guns does she have in there???  to quote luke:  "go for the legs that might be our only chance of stopping it!"

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »

ONLY a SUGGESTION

getting that out right away.  have the utmost respect for those trying to put their artistic thoughts to the film media.  does anyone have a 'disposable' type camera (old vhs recording camera)?  could that be placed in the seat for 'victim's' eye view of the barrage? you could run wires under the earth to a recording device so the tape doesnt take a bullet, even if the camera does.  plus, if it is vhs, the film quality may provide some moodiness/graininess.

maybe the demons could be closer to inflict more dastardly damage with the rounds (rounds for those can't be cheap) make the most of each one.  you could also put a 3rd camera at a static point close to the seat to capture up close damage of said rounds (slow mo for good strikes).

again only suggestions.  everyone is a critic (not being a critic) i know i know.  and i know, $20 budget... looks good for $20

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
bionica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »

very impressive. especially for $20. i watched the 1st episode and may try to look it up on youtube, but my computer runs slowly.

i liked the desert shots, the story, voiceover and music

the only thing that looked off was the sneakers and shorts worn by the main guys. if it is post apocalyptic maybe a cheap way to make outfits is to wear pants and then make "boots" out of black electric or duct tape. that was the only thing that i felt failed to suspend my disbelief
bionica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:08:57 PM »

ps--good luck. everything else looked great, even the stock footage. just if you wanted a "real movie" feel

Thumbup
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:54:17 AM »

Lemme just say this: I've seen films made by students who have had a good 2-3 years of guidance by professionals in my university. Most of them don't come up with shorts that are half this good or creative. By all means, keep at it! You've already got an idea, so that's half the battle right there. There are tons of tutorials you can access online. If you're really interested in making short films, there are a few very good guides you can buy that will take you through everything from choosing the right camera for your needs to entering film festivals. I personally found "The Filmmaker's Handbook" to be quite comprehensive.

My only bit of nitpicking lies with your actors' performances. I personally think that if you asked them to put just a little bit more emotion into their performances the whole thing would really come to life. Overall they're pretty good, but there are times where it feels like they're just reading off the script.

But yeah, I hope you guys continue making these. I for one am enjoying them.
bionica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 03:57:06 AM »

looks like my advice last time was cut off

all the advice i had was to work on the clothing a little more

i had said an easy cheap was is to wrap electric tape over the pants legs or over the shoes to make the gear futuristic

you can also use plastic bags and tape for cheap outfits

don't know if that advice was cut off last time on purpose.

anyway--i think the footage was great and that was the main thing that was distracting, yet easily fixed
bumblefish
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 02:56:55 AM »

Pretty good for a $20 budget. I know 7.62x39 rounds arent cheap. If you are looking for suggestions you should check out some tarantino films and films he likes such as the 1974 gone in 60 seconds and dirty mary crazy larry. The main thing i saw that could use some tweaking is the camera angles. Try shooting footage frome different heights like ground footage looking up or about waist high looking up. that seems to improve the quality. The films i listed are pretty low budget, But it would do you good to checkout some troma movies that were good but very cheap such as the toxic avenger or class of nukem high. Another good one to study would be el mariachi which was made for only a few thousand dollars and earned the director credits and he was offered 3 million dollars to make another which is where once upon a time in mexico came from and now he makes the biggest blockbusters with tarantino like the newest to the grindhouse collection MACHETE. Good job and good luck and good gun collection.
KreepLX
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »

looks like my advice last time was cut off

all the advice i had was to work on the clothing a little more

i had said an easy cheap was is to wrap electric tape over the pants legs or over the shoes to make the gear futuristic

you can also use plastic bags and tape for cheap outfits

don't know if that advice was cut off last time on purpose.

anyway--i think the footage was great and that was the main thing that was distracting, yet easily fixed

I am sorry for not replying. By no means did we cut you off or anything. We actually stopped making these after October 2009 because my friend's wife thought he put too much effort into it and wanted him to work on t-shirts. I thought we would do another one after I posted the message but that didn't happen. I didn't have a problem with it because nobody was watching them anyway. He also was doing all of the editing because I didn't know how to do it, and nobody was watching them.

I figured out how to do the editing and picked up myself a $125 Flip HD camera, so maybe we will pick up the pace a little more. We went shooting a couple weeks ago and I wanted to do a grindhouse type movie trailer and everyone was very please with the result...
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,131895.0.html
Now, if I can get my wife to let me go out and play more... maybe I can come up with something really good.  hot
KreepLX
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »

Pretty good for a $20 budget. I know 7.62x39 rounds arent cheap. If you are looking for suggestions you should check out some tarantino films and films he likes such as the 1974 gone in 60 seconds and dirty mary crazy larry. The main thing i saw that could use some tweaking is the camera angles. Try shooting footage frome different heights like ground footage looking up or about waist high looking up. that seems to improve the quality. The films i listed are pretty low budget, But it would do you good to checkout some troma movies that were good but very cheap such as the toxic avenger or class of nukem high. Another good one to study would be el mariachi which was made for only a few thousand dollars and earned the director credits and he was offered 3 million dollars to make another which is where once upon a time in mexico came from and now he makes the biggest blockbusters with tarantino like the newest to the grindhouse collection MACHETE. Good job and good luck and good gun collection.

Talking about a dream come true, I would love to have fun like that for a living.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Pros & Novices  |  Working with a $20 budget... and trying to make it work. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.