Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:29:40 PM
714408 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  If you had $1 Million... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If you had $1 Million...  (Read 3318 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: December 10, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »

Let's say you get one million dollars and you have to get rid of it in a month.  If you get rid if it all in one month, you get an additional $2 million as a bonus to keep for good.  If you can't spend it all, the remaining money is taken from you and you got no chance at the additonal money.  Money can be given away to people, but you can't give it away to friends, family or people you know.  You also can't donate it to major charities either or buy things for other people.  So, my question is, what would you do with the money?

I personally buy all the things I want first and I would then start donating the money to random people at homeless shelthers in my area.  Whatever is left, I would buy things I do not want, but would cost a lot of money.  Then, when I got the two million, I return everything I didn't want back to the stores to get that money back.

Anyways, the whole idea of this is based off a choose your own adventure novel I read back in the 7th grade in which the same situation I presented to you accord in the story.  The idea came back to me recently and I got to thinking about what would others and myself do if we were ever in this situation.

So, what would you do?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 07:33:13 PM »

That is pretty tough.  There is this little old lady in my town, she hangs out at one of our major malls.  It looks like she spends all of her time there.  She seems to have some sort of mental condition (don't ask what, I don't know), but I've seen her trying to buy stuff at the stores with just random bits of paper instead of money.  I have no idea where she lives, but it looks like shes on the street.  I think I would put the million in a duffel bag and give it to her.

My hope would be that she ends up like Edith Massey's character in Polyester. Wink

Good topic Informationgeek. Thumbup
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »

A SSC Ultimate Areo TT ($760k), the rest on crap TeddyR

yeah no.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »

If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you a green dress
(But not a real green dress, that's cruel)
And if I had a million dollars
Well, I'd buy you some art
(A Picasso or a Garfunkel)
Well, I'd buy you a monkey
(Haven't you always wanted a monkey)

I’d buy your love  TeddyR

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »

I'd buy a mansion.  Build my own personal arcade of about 20 machines.  New giant TVs, stereo systems, just totally ritz the place up.  Buy some coastal property and rent it out.  Buy a helicopter and learn to fly it.  Anything left, buy stocks with it. 

For the extra 2 million I'd donate at least half to charity and give some to my family.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:36:04 AM »

Wink Wink

Hmmm....$1 million is about 8 million South African rand.

Dat be a heck of a lot of undies............ Lookingup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:55:01 AM »

pay off credit cards, student loan.
buy new car for hubby, one for me.
go to bora bora for a week, platinum package.
take care of both inlaws bills.
set up college trusts for all 3 kids.
buy house with enough bedrooms for the 3 kids and my niece.
get hubby all the die cast robots he wants.
donate a s***load of $$ to Children's hospital in Boston.
believe me, it would get spent.

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »

Could I just buy shares in various mutual funds?  I dunno, to get rid of that kind of money I guess I'd have to buy some houses, though this is a lousy time to do that.  I'd like to give a bunch to my folks, but I guess that's against the rules.  There would probably be a variety of exotic sports cars in my driveway.  I'd also donate a good bit to the local animal shelter.  And I would have one mega home theater system.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:17:41 AM »

* I'd pay off my mortgage and credit cards.  

* I'd build a game room in my attic, and furnish it with a pool table, a couple of dart boards, a bar, and a game table.

* I'd build 3 rooms in my basement: one for exercise equipment, one for "hanging around" (maybe a reading room), and one for storage.

* I'd buy a top-notch high-def TV for the family room.

* I'd buy a top-notch blu-ray player for the high-def TV.

* I'd buy about 100 blu-ray movies I don't really need.

* I'd buy a U-Haul truck full of Christmas gifts and drive them around to needy people.  (Selfishly, this is the final item on my list).

* Then I'd invest the $2 million, quit my job, and get a "fun" part-time job.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 11:45:35 AM »

Two words: gin and hookers.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Cthulhu

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »

Buy myself a house..or maybe two. I'd buy everything that I need for Warhammer 40k, buy a new computer, some games, a ton of movies, some gym equipment, a karambit (that's so cool, I want to learn how to use it), and a bunch of other stuff that escapes me at the moment.
UPDATE: Oh, and a guitar. And an electric guitar. And maybe a saxophone. I mean, why not? I have 1 million friggin dollars. I can buy anyhing I want.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:14:18 PM by Cthulhu » Logged
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 06:42:15 PM »

This is actually very similar to the plot of Brewster's Millions.  I'd hazard a guess and say the choose-your-own adventure book stole the idea - or it may even be an adaptation, since the original novel is in the public domain.

The big, VERY IMPORTANT difference between the idea here and Brewster's Millions was that the money spent had to not benefit the lead character.  In other words, he couldn't spend it on himself or in a way that would leave him financially better off AT ALL.  100% had to be given away.

I'd buy a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of video/audio/computer equipment to start.  Want to get better stuff to use to make my own films.

I'd buy a new car, something nice that gets great gas mileage.  I could really use that.  I'd buy a house in the 200-250k range.  I'd spend several thousand on a large variety of classic video game systems and games I'm interested in.  That's about half the money. 

I'd put about $3000 into airsoft gear.  Another $7000ish into DVDs/BluRays.  I'd set up a great home theatre in my new house, probably in the $30k range.  I'd put about $20,000 into real guns (that'd give me pretty much every gun I want). 

Several thousand dollars I'd spend personally on two things close to my heart: gin and hookers.

The rest of the money I'd funnel into an organization to combat the ongoing genocides against tribal peoples in South America and Africa.  Seed money, that's all it'd be, as it's not enough to make a huge difference.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 08:48:25 PM »

A million dollars might just about pay off the taxes on a million dollars these days.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »

A nice house far away from everyone and the rest would be to pay the taxes on it for as long as I could. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Paquita

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »

I'd fix my current house and buy another house and have a ballroom put in.. and by ballroom, i mean a room with a giant swimming pool filled with those fun ball-pit balls like from ChuckECheese. And I'd get toilet that weighed it's contents.  After rapidly spending my $1 million dollars, I'd use the $2 million I get after to give to family and donate to major charities.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  If you had $1 Million... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.