Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:59:31 PM
714462 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Do You Watch Anime? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Do You Watch Anime?  (Read 17635 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: December 12, 2009, 10:50:08 PM »

I should have ask this a long time ago considering how I'm into anime.  Do any of you watch anime TV shows?  Stuff like Naruto, Shin-Chan, Bleach, Pokemon, and Yu-Yu Hakusho or shows that are available only DVD?  I watch lots of this stuff and I have a decent collection of it as well.  My latest edition to it has been the 2 Disc Special Editions of Planetes Vol. 1 & 2 and Trigun Vol. 1.

So, do you guys watch any anime?  Here's one that the b-movie lovers here might enjoy!
Project Blue Earth SOS!  It features elements from Sci-Fi movies, like Body Snatchers; War of the Worlds; Independence Day; etc.

Small | Large

Small | Large

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:55:56 PM »

Sure, I've seen plenty anime.  One of my favorites is Dangaioh.  I also like They Were 11, Appleseed, Cowboy Bebop, Excel Saga, Vampire Hunter D, and many others.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:00:44 PM »

Sure although I was more into in the 80s and 90s than I am nowadays. It's rare I watch anime nowadays. Anyways I enjoyed the following:

Macross (Robotech)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Gundam Wing
Astro Boy (80s)
Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers)
Escaflowne
Voltron
InuYasha
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:41:46 PM by xXx_JaseSF_xXx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:28:56 AM »

I occasionally watch it.  I'm in the middle of World's Greatest Disciple Kenichi, though it's been a month or so since I watched any of it.

I used to watch it a little more regularly, but I find it very hard to find anime I like enough to really get into.  Most anime I find take about twice as long to tell the story as they should.  In the case of One Piece, which I watched for about 120 episodes, it was more like four times as long.  Obviously, I still enjoyed it, as I watched 120 odd episodes of it, but it just takes FOREVER for some stuff.  Same deal with Naruto, though if you ignore the filler arcs it's not nearly as bad as One Piece.

The basic thing I've found is I should probably only watch series that are a single season long or semi-episodic, and always intended to be that.  Ones I've enjoyed along those lines are Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Dragon Half, Black Lagoon, and Hyper Police. 
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:27:30 AM »

I watch a little bit of Anime.  Cowboy Bebop was probably my favorite.  Also got a kick out of Tank Police.  That stuff isn't a huge favorite of mine, but I enjoy it occasionally. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
3mnkids

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »

yep. I just bought "when they cry" box set and I'm working my way through it. I like the darker stuff   TeddyR 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »

I used to watch it a little more regularly, but I find it very hard to find anime I like enough to really get into.  Most anime I find take about twice as long to tell the story as they should.  In the case of One Piece, which I watched for about 120 episodes, it was more like four times as long.  Obviously, I still enjoyed it, as I watched 120 odd episodes of it, but it just takes FOREVER for some stuff.  Same deal with Naruto, though if you ignore the filler arcs it's not nearly as bad as One Piece.

This is usually because the anime is being created while the manga it spun off of is still being put out. Often they have a ton of filler episodes while waiting for the next issue to be released, so they can animate it. I agree, its easier just to watch self-contained series without all the filler bs.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »

yep. I just bought "when they cry" box set and I'm working my way through it. I like the darker stuff   TeddyR 

You got the When They Cry?!  You are the most awesome mom ever (Next to mine of course  Wink)!  That's some pretty dark stuff you are dealing with.  I'm currently reading the manga verison of it and it's just as dark.  I have the box set on my Christmas list.  If I don't get it then, I'll use the Christmas money I get to pay for it.  How's the voice acting for the show as it goes on?  I'm seen some of the early episodes and it's sort of hit or miss a couple of times until it really starts getting creepy.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »

I watch anime every once in a while.  Not so much series, but movies.  The Studio Ghibli stuff is amazing, but after that I don't get very far.  I do read the manga One Piece though.
3mnkids

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »

You got the When They Cry?!  You are the most awesome mom ever (Next to mine of course  Wink)!  That's some pretty dark stuff you are dealing with.  I'm currently reading the manga verison of it and it's just as dark.  I have the box set on my Christmas list.  If I don't get it then, I'll use the Christmas money I get to pay for it.  How's the voice acting for the show as it goes on?  I'm seen some of the early episodes and it's sort of hit or miss a couple of times until it really starts getting creepy.

The voice acting is rough in the beginning but does improve.  Thumbup  I hope you get it for christmas so you dont have to buy it. It was worth the price though. 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
darthchicken
Bad Movie Lover

"If my rhyme was a drug, I'd sell it by the gram"

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »

I don't watch much anime.. but I do read a decent amount of manga. My friends are all into it though, and they even managed to get me onto the staff at a convention.  I do nothing anime related, I run Magic tournaments, but still, I'm surrounded by the stuff.

"His coconut gun can fire in spurts. If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!" - James Madison
venomx
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 11:27:10 PM »

My top 5 Anime movies ...

1. Vampire Hunter D

2. Fist of the North Star

3. Legend of the Overfiend

4. Legend of the Overfiend 2

5. Ninja Scroll
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 12:13:53 AM »

If we're getting into films, I really enjoyed the following:

Patlabor 1: Mobile Police
Patlabor 2: Mobile Police
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Galaxy Express 999
Vampire Hunter D
Demon City Shinjuka
Ninja Scroll
Dominion: Tank Police
Akira
Armitage III: Poly-Matrix
Casshan: Robot Hunter
Gall Force: Eternal Story
Green Legend Ran
Iria: Zeiram the Animation
Ghost in the Shell
Record of Lodoss War
E.Y.E.S. of Mars
Metropolis (2002)
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Princess Mononoke
Project A-Ko
Robot Carnival
Roujin Z
Spirited Away
GoShogun: the Time Étranger
The Venus Wars
Tenchi Muyo in Love
Castle in the Sky
Space Pirate Captain Harlock: Arcadia of My Youth

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 12:53:03 AM »

As far as tv shows:

Genshiken
Maburaho
Full Metal Alchemist
GTO
Sgt Frog
Black Jack
Wolf and Spice
Paranoia Agent (I once considered writing a college term paper on the show and the symbolism behind it)
Ranma 1/2
Inuyasha
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Case Closed (Detective Conan)
Shin Chan
Nerima Daikon Brothers (an anime parody of the blues brothers!)
Pumpkin Scissors
xxxHolic
Dragonball z
Excel Saga
Rozen Maiden
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

As for movies...

Anything by Hayao Miazaki (especially spirited away)
Anything by Satoshi Kon (especially perfect blue)
Fullmetal Alchemist: the conqueror of shamballa
Metropolis
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Akira
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:00:49 AM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 06:29:06 AM »

This is usually because the anime is being created while the manga it spun off of is still being put out. Often they have a ton of filler episodes while waiting for the next issue to be released, so they can animate it. I agree, its easier just to watch self-contained series without all the filler bs.

Thing is, even when they're covering a finished manga or an arc that is done, they just take way too long for the amount of storyline.  Not always, mind you, but frequently it's quite obvious that they're stretching out scenes and filling them with padding to get to X number of episodes, rather than adapting the manga the way it should be. 

For example, one series I really liked a lot, Yu Yu Hakusho, has a few fights that just drag on for like 5 episodes, when the actual number of scenes should really have it at more like 2.  There are also some shows where a small amount of storyline is dragged out ridiculously.  Like the Sand arc in One Piece, which is like 40 episodes or something.  For the amount of things that happened, it could easily have been covered in 15.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Do You Watch Anime? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.