Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:56:40 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53
Author Topic: Against the grain  (Read 258903 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2010, 01:15:50 AM »

people who just troll on youtube and say negative things on stuff they don't like. I all have to say is get a life  Hatred

yeah no.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »

Family of five and not a cell phone among us.  There have been times when it would be nice - such as when somebody gets stuck in traffic or a snowstorm, just for reassurance, or when the eldest misses his bus or train home - but the rest of the time who needs one?  Boggles my mind that the expense is considered an 'essential' - up there with food and shelter - by most people I know (who then use their cells for totally trivial purposes).  I'm not so important that anyone needs to contact me immediately.

Most TV shows.  We've found that we almost always completely dislike what is popular and the few we truly enjoy get cancelled.

I have and use a cell phone regularly, but mostly either to talk to my wife or for business. I also use it as a scheduler to keep appointment info on since my business is all by appointment. I don't really like them much, but it has become a tool for me that I depend on. We haven't had a land line for several years now. I, however, still being a dork, to this day look for our answering machine when I get home to see if there are any messages.  BounceGiggle

As for TV, we cut off our cable. It was any sacrifice; we just found we hadn't turned the TV on in several months, so we decided it was silly to pay for it. I haven't missed it more than occasionally, and then only barely.

And add me to the list of people who don't care anything about sports. I can watch a game and appreciate good plays, but I'm just not competitive enough to root for a team. I'll look at final scores for a couple of teams I like (I've claimed to be a Saints fan since the days of Archie Manning), but I don't usually seek out the games to watch on television. As a consequence, my daughter (who is in band and has to go to games during football season) is only beginning to understand even the basic rules of football (she's a sophomore), and she hates the game. Darn.

And I guess I'm straight edge as well; I don't drink, do drugs or smoke. It's not really a commitment, though, as much as I just don't see the point to developing self-destructive and expensive habits. I'm too cheap to be a party animal. And too old now, too.  TongueOut

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2010, 12:30:04 PM »

I have a cell phone, but I'm absent minded about where the heck it  is most of the time. Wife, daughter, son use their's obsessively.

I pretty much ignore sports altogether because I quite frankly find most to them boring as hell,  although I do like sports movies for some odd reason.  I think it's because in movies they don't show the boring parts,only the action.

The Natural , Rocky, and Rocky Balboa are among my favorite films to rewatch, but I think that's because of the characters and has little to do with the sports.

I also, like a good chick flick now and then, and I used to regularly watch Seventh Heaven and Gilmore girls with the wife.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:33:43 PM by Trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »

I don't ever refuse a free lunch.  If you say "I'm buying", then you are.   Twirling

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »

Those God damn adds on Youtube  Hatred

yeah no.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »

I can watch a game and appreciate good plays, but I'm just not competitive enough to root for a team.

That reminds me of another thing that annoys me about sports fans. It's the ones who become die-hard fans of teams in spite of having no connection to them. I can see taking an interest in the "home team" or whatever team is close to where you live, or maybe where you grew up. I can even appreciate the division between fans who live in between two teams. At least that's a matter of local or regional pride. And I've known people who have sons in the NHL, so it makes sense to cheer for Junior's team, wherever it might be. What I don't get is why a lot of people cheer for teams on the other end of the continent. Because they currently win a lot? Because they currently have some good players? To me, that misses the point of supporting a team entirely.

For that matter, the notion that your local sports team reflects in any way on your town makes little sense to me, especially at the national level. Teams are drafting players from all over the place, and constantly trading them around. These guys don't necessarily even like the towns they're playing in. Teams even move from one city to another on occasion. How does this reflect on your town? I suppose in the same way it reflects on some couch potato who has never done more than watch the game on TV.

But then, I've admitted I don't really understand the appeal of watching sports in the first place.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Cthulhu

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »

Those God damn adds on Youtube  Hatred
Use Adblock plus.
It works great. Thumbup
https://addons.mozilla.org/hu/firefox/addon/1865
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »

I can watch a game and appreciate good plays, but I'm just not competitive enough to root for a team.

That reminds me of another thing that annoys me about sports fans. It's the ones who become die-hard fans of teams in spite of having no connection to them. I can see taking an interest in the "home team" or whatever team is close to where you live, or maybe where you grew up. I can even appreciate the division between fans who live in between two teams. At least that's a matter of local or regional pride. And I've known people who have sons in the NHL, so it makes sense to cheer for Junior's team, wherever it might be. What I don't get is why a lot of people cheer for teams on the other end of the continent. Because they currently win a lot? Because they currently have some good players? To me, that misses the point of supporting a team entirely.

For that matter, the notion that your local sports team reflects in any way on your town makes little sense to me, especially at the national level. Teams are drafting players from all over the place, and constantly trading them around. These guys don't necessarily even like the towns they're playing in. Teams even move from one city to another on occasion. How does this reflect on your town? I suppose in the same way it reflects on some couch potato who has never done more than watch the game on TV.

But then, I've admitted I don't really understand the appeal of watching sports in the first place.
I agree with you, mostly.  Generally speaking, I really only follow my local teams representing Philly: Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, and 76ers.  Although, I do support some teams from other places.  I quite like the Detroit Lions, and they're a HORRIBLE team.  I liked them last season, openly supported them, but they saw a losing streak that's just pathetic.  I don't gauge liking a team based upon win/loss records.  Just weather or not like them on the whole.  But beyond that, yeah, I totally support your sentiments.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2010, 12:25:05 AM »

I also, like a good chick flick now and then, and I used to regularly watch Seventh Heaven and Gilmore girls with the wife.

I quite regularly watched Gilmore Girls.  Still do.  Despite the fact that being a straight 25 Year Old Male puts me a bit outside of their demographics.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:55 AM »

I don't ever refuse a free lunch.  If you say "I'm buying", then you are.   Twirling

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

There's quite a good restaurant just down the road here: I'm buying.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »

Careful. He might think that includes the plane ticket. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 08:54:36 AM »

[Trevor scrambles to hide wallet] Yikes!  BuggedoutTeddyR

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »

12 PM next Wed sound good?   BounceGiggle

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »

I don't ever refuse a free lunch.  If you say "I'm buying", then you are.   Twirling

There's quite a good restaurant just down the road here: I'm buying.  Smile

[Trevor scrambles to hide wallet] Yikes!  Buggedout +  TeddyR
12 PM next Wed sound good?   BounceGiggle
As long as that gives you enough time to charter the plane and pick us all up!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2010, 09:18:52 AM »

12 PM next Wed sound good?   BounceGiggle

Next Friday, please: I get paid [tipped] on the 15th.  Buggedout

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Against the grain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.