Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:34:59 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Games  |  Fame or Shame: TV Shows Discussion Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Fame or Shame: TV Shows Discussion Thread  (Read 54812 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2010, 03:47:58 PM »

Boris Karloff's Thriller series joins the TV Hall of Fame. This anthology series, hosted by Boris Karloff, was from the early 1960s (1960-1962). The show adapted many terrific macabre Horror tales but also some crime stories more in the style of and more akin to  "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour", some of better quality than others. With the crime stories, there were a couple of disturbing ones featuring serial killers. It's mainly the stylistic Gothic and Southern Style Horror stories that fans remember as being amongst the best and most frightening ever aired on Television. I'd say in the case of certain episodes ("Pigeons From Hell", "The Incredible Dr. Markesan", "The Hungry Glass", "The Grim Reaper", "La Strega") this certainly rings true. Stephen King once referred to the series as the greatest of its kind in American TV history his Danse Macabre. The show also had quite a few episodes that could certainly qualify as dark humor. Quality writers such as Robert Bloch, Richard Matheson,  Robert E. Howard and Cornell Woolrich all contributed stories. Actors such as Karloff, William Shatner, Henry Daniel, Torin Thatcher, Richard Kiel, Ursula Andress, Jeanette Nolan, Robert Middleton, Bruce Dern, Mary Astor, Natalie Trundy, Elizabeth Montgomery, Leslie Nielsen, John Carradine, Tom Poston, Edward Andrews and even more quality performers appeared on the series. The show usually featured some thrilling aspect or another leading to our host Karloff proclaiming that "And as sure as my name is Boris Karloff, this is going to be a thriller."

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2010, 12:36:44 AM »

Saturday Night Live joins the TV Hall of Fame. This live TV skit/sketch format and variety show with a different host (usually an actor but not always) and different performing band every week has had a long, long run on TV (35 seasons). It's provided some great entertainment over the years and was likely a major proving and learning ground for many future comedians turned actors/actresses. The show has had a rotating cast of skit players over the years and has featured some talent that went on to have memorable movie and TV careers including Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Jane Curtain, Gilda Radner, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Joan Cusack, Robert Downey Jr., Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Phil Hartman, Jon Lovitz, Dennis Miller and more. Some of the continuing skits would prove so popular as to spawn movie versions, most of which were unsuccessful but a few were hits.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »

Saturday Night Live joins the TV Hall of Fame. This live TV skit/sketch format and variety show with a different host (usually an actor but not always) and different performing band every week has had a long, long run on TV (35 seasons). It's provided some great entertainment over the years and was likely a major proving and learning ground for many future comedians turned actors/actresses. The show has had a rotating cast of skit players over the years and has featured some talent that went on to have memorable movie and TV careers including Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Jane Curtain, Gilda Radner, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Joan Cusack, Robert Downey Jr., Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Phil Hartman, Jon Lovitz, Dennis Miller and more. Some of the continuing skits would prove so popular as to spawn movie versions, most of which were unsuccessful but a few were hits.

Had a few horrible seasons but definitely Hall of Fame material.  It's the major training ground for upcoming comics, many of whom became legendary (John Belushi, Eddie Murphy, even Will Ferrell...).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »

I've only seen highlights from the 70s and 80s which looked enjoyable but it was pretty much must watch TV for me in the 1990s. David Spade, Chris Farley and Molly Shannon just a couple of more names worth mentioning...

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »

I've only seen highlights from the 70s and 80s which looked enjoyable but it was pretty much must watch TV for me in the 1990s. David Spade, Chris Farley and Molly Shannon just a couple of more names worth mentioning...
That's when I watched it.  I was a younger kid, and they had Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, Farley, Spade, Miller, Norm MacDonald, Jim Breuer, Will Ferrell, etc.

A lot of people go crazy over the 'original' cast.  I like them as much: Murray, Belushi, Dan Aykroyd. 

Even the horrible seasons had tolerable PERFORMERS, despite the efforts of the writing staff.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »

The Price is Right (1972-Present) joins the Hall of Shame. Now personally I have to admit to quite enjoying this show when it was hosted by Bob Barker. He had a likable, friendly, amiable quality about him that just made the show surprising fun to watch. The games like Plinko and Golf I got a kick out of but that said, I never liked this game show in any version as much as the other TV shows that were on the list with it although it was almost required family viewing growing up as my parents and grandparents loved it. The current version with Drew Carey is sadly unappealing as the show is just not the same at all without Bob Barker.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »

24 joins the TV Hall of Shame. It had an interesting premise featuring 24 hours in the life of its lead character federal agent Jack Bauer (Keifer Sutherland) each season over 24 episodes. It just never really caught on with me personally and I like it far less than every other show it was on the game list with...

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2010, 10:23:20 PM »

I never liked 24.  I admit it had an interesting concept in a way, where each episode was one hour in a day, one season was one day, etc.  And Kiefer's a decent enough actor, but overall the show didn't appeal to me.  To each their own, though. Wink

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »

Monk joins the TV Hall of Fame. This mystery-comedy police procedural series starring the talented and likable Tony Shaloub quickly went into the Hall of Fame. Seems to have been a very popular modern era series.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 09:40:29 PM »

Big fan of Monk.  Liked Shaloub since his days on Wings.  Probably could've gone on one more year, but best to go out sorta on top instead of over staying it's welcome, like some other shows.

ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 09:46:55 PM »

Monk joins the TV Hall of Fame. This mystery-comedy police procedural series starring the talented and likable Tony Shaloub quickly went into the Hall of Fame. Seems to have been a very popular modern era series.

And yet, I've never seen it.

Lookingup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974-1975) joins the TV Hall of Fame. This surprisingly short-lived 1970s series starring Darren McGavin as the irascible Carl Kolchak trying to forever prove monsters exist and are real yet constantly falling just short of proof yet left to deal with said monsters himself, was arguably well ahead of its time. Following two successful television movies The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler, a TV series followed. The series never quite lived up to the movies in terms of overall goodness but definitely had its terrifically frightening and scary moments ("The Zombie", "The Ripper", "The Vampire", "Firefall", "The Devil's Platform", "Bad Medicine", "The Spanish Moss Murders", "Horror in the Heights" do deliver some great scares in particular) along with its fun moments of humor, both dark and light, and sardonic wit. Sadly its ratings at the time were mediocre perhaps because the show stuck a little to much to its monster of the week formula. To fans, McGavin's Kolchak was a likable old curmudgeon even as he annoyed the hell out of most other characters in the show except for Miss Emily who always had a soft spot for him. You couldn't help but admire Kolchak's determination and his strong will given the courage to take on many of the harsh and terrifying tasks he finds himself forced to perform in the series.

War of the Worlds (1988-1990) joins the TV Hall of Shame. This series lasted two seasons, with the second being so different from the first one could mistake it for another series entirely. In fact, it was given the name change "War of the World: The Second Invasion" in Season Two. Despite high season one ratings, the show's creative force was changed to Frank Mancuso Jr. who was busy with the also quite popular "Friday the 13th: The Series".

The show continues on from where the 1953 film ended and often incorporates footage from the film, the classic radio play and elements of the original novel into its continuing storyline. According to the series, the Martians weren't wiped out at the end of the film. In fact, they were simply placed into a state of suspended animation and the bodies were placed in toxic waste disposal drums stored at various disposal sites in the United States. It's all part of a nationwide cover-up combined with selective amnesia to convince people the invasion never actually took place at all. 35 years later in 1988, a group of terrorists calling itself the People's Liberation Party accidentally irradiates the toxic waste drums containing the aliens at dumpsite Fort Jericho. The radiation destroys the bacteria keeping the aliens unconscious and the aliens assume the terrorists' bodies to carry on their plans on Earth in secret hoping to used crude Earth technology and human bodies as hosts while they find a way to ward off the threat of bacteria and find a means of conquering the planet before the expected arrival of their brethren from the planet Mor-Tax in five years. The government meanwhile forms a small group to oppose the alien threat. In the second season however the changes are as big and as affecting as Alien 3 likely was to fans of Aliens. The alien threat is suddenly changed to the Mothren. Actually almost every element of the popular first season was changed in Season Two which comes across more like a clinical nightmare brought to vivid life. The show was pretty confusing overall but I have to admit to enjoying it nevertheless and in fact, I rather preferred the dark edge of the less popular Season Two believe it or not.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:48:57 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »

War of the Worlds (1988-1990)

I'd never even heard of it.  Question

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2010, 09:33:34 PM »

Well it was filmed in Canada and got a lot of airplay on Canadian networks over the years. I thought it was played on the Sci-Fi Channel in the U.S. to at one point. I recall when it was new back when I was a teenager and I used to look forward to seeing it every week. Sure it was bad but I enjoyed both it and Friday the 13th: the Series. A few years later it ran in reruns on Friday nights and I'd watch a block of sci-fi horror programming that included the X-Files, the new Outer Limits, Forever Knight, Friday the 13th and War of the Worlds - I recall it all coming on one show after the other friday nights in the early 90s on my local network.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Games  |  Fame or Shame: TV Shows Discussion Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.