Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:46:04 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  punisher: war zone « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: punisher: war zone  (Read 2474 times)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 31, 2009, 09:41:45 PM »

i finally got around to seeing this. i liked it. though the acting was horrible and most of the characters were stupid. i think the violence made up for all of crap in this movie. it could have been more graphic but its a step in the right direction. c'mon, this guy is supposed to shoot and kill people.  all i can say is its about time. just look at the last punisher movie. that guy saw his family get killed, he turned into an alcoholic recluse, and was still a pretty boy. he had a good tan, nice hair cut, and his 5 o'clock shadow was nice & neat. ive been meaning to watch the old one with dolph lundgren. i barely remember it, i heard its pretty bad. i remember how dolph looked though, all sick and pale from not sleeping. i think thats one thing thats missing from these superhero movies, grit and violence. i would like to see them a little more realistic. i liked the wolverine movie too, but it was weak. basically his whole existence has been a violent struggle. i think i got of subject again....

exterminate all rational thought.....
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 12:20:11 AM »

I've said over and over that Ray Stevenson could have been an awesome Punisher.  He's a way better actor than this movie shows.  This film  suffered from the same problems of weak dialogue and characters, plus the fact that it was directed a friggin' kickboxer!

What's sad is, everyone is gonna think that this was all poor Ray's fault, which is really unfair.  His career deserves a lot better than this tripe. 
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:16:28 PM »

im not knocking the guy who played the punisher (war zone), i think he fit and looked the part pretty well. he needed bigger guns though, i would have loved to see him with some heavy artillery . dont get me started on last punisher movie. i hope they make a sequel to war zone with the same guy. as long as the keep it a basic shoot em up movie and not over the top. again, im glad marvel made this one a little more mature, i think the violence actually helped the movie on this one. how about the old movie with dolph lundgren? anybody got any opinions on that one, im thinking about checking it out.

fortunato
Bad Movie Lover

The laziest man on mars.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »

Of the three Punisher movies, I think the 2004 film with Thomas Jane was the best.  He was by far the closest in style to the 70s antihero archetype that inspired the character.  Ray's and Dolph's films were less character driven and far more set-piece driven.  Not that I don't own and watch all three with some regularity, mind you.

Goblins still exist. Your Grandpa Seth is telling you!

Are you nuts? You tryin' ta turn me into a homo?

You're TEARING ME APART, Lisa!

"May I remind you that I am in command here! Only an idiot would attempt such a thing. I will do it myself."
Nathan
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »

I liked that you could actually follow the action throughout the movie, something that shouldn't be remarkable, but sadly is.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 11:43:54 PM »

Well, the one thing I liked about this movie was how it seemed to recall the gruesome action movies of the 80's and early 90's, particularly the ones by Paul Verhooven, of Robocop and Total Recall fame.  If it had just been directed by someone as competent in film as Verhooven, then it might have had a chance.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »

I've said over and over that Ray Stevenson could have been an awesome Punisher.  He's a way better actor than this movie shows.  This film  suffered from the same problems of weak dialogue and characters, plus the fact that it was directed a friggin' kickboxer!

What's sad is, everyone is gonna think that this was all poor Ray's fault, which is really unfair.  His career deserves a lot better than this tripe. 

It's interesting to note that the same director also did Hooligans, which I've heard almost nothing but good things about. 

War Zone is very flawed, but I still found it entertaining.  Ray Stevenson definitely LOOKS the closest to the part.  But, just kind of a meh in my book overall.
3mnkids

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »

Action wise I loved this one. Starts off with a bang and doesnt stop. My only complaint is with the accents. They are awful. AWFUL. It was so distracting.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »

Ray Stevenson definitely LOOKS the closest to the part.  But, just kind of a meh in my book overall.

You've obviously never seen HBO's Rome.  Do yourself a favor and rent it on Netflix sometime.  I promise you, Ray Stevenson can really act.  The problem is, he doesn't seem to get any work now that allows him his full range.  He's a way better actor than what War Zone shows. 
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »

Ray Stevenson definitely LOOKS the closest to the part.  But, just kind of a meh in my book overall.

You've obviously never seen HBO's Rome.  Do yourself a favor and rent it on Netflix sometime.  I promise you, Ray Stevenson can really act.  The problem is, he doesn't seem to get any work now that allows him his full range.  He's a way better actor than what War Zone shows. 

I worded that badly.  I meant the movie was meh overall.  Passably entertaining.  Ray Stevenson was fine, but didn't really get anything to work with.  I haven't seen all of Rome, BTW, but I've seen enough to know he can act.
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »

The thing that really blows my mind is that you would think that The Punisher would be one of the easier comic book characters to turn into a kick ass film.  But after 3 failed attempts I've given up hope.  The sad thing is that Ray Stevenson is perfect casting but the movie surrounding was awful.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 06:57:37 PM »

The thing that really blows my mind is that you would think that The Punisher would be one of the easier comic book characters to turn into a kick ass film.  But after 3 failed attempts I've given up hope.  The sad thing is that Ray Stevenson is perfect casting but the movie surrounding was awful.

The utter simplicity of his storylines I think makes him hard to adapt at times.  Rather, it should be easy to make a DECENT Punisher film, but very hard to make a GREAT Punisher film. 

In current Marvel comics, the Punisher just got killed off (by Wolverine's evil and extremely dull son, at that).  He also was just ressurected as Frankencastle, pieced together and now basically unkillable. 

Maybe they'll adapt Frankencastle into a new movie?   TongueOut
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 08:37:31 PM »

what the hell has happened to comics?!!! i havent kept up with them since the mid-90s, im afraid to see what happend to the other characters. anyway, why so much hate for pun/war zone? the acting, story and characters are sub-par but what do you expect? it could have been alot worse. like elektra. maybe if it wasnt for those accents.  like i said earlier, its a step in the right direction as far as action movies go. what about the first one? i want to hear some opinions about it before i waste my money on it.

SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 10:57:24 PM »

I like Warzone, thought it was the best of the three.

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »

I prefer the original Lundgren one.Great Villianess,Frank having to team up with someone that he has on his s**t list etc
I thought the 2004 one was zzzzzzzz.I just could not believe Travolta as a criminal.
War Zone was fun.The violence is so over the top that I laughed out loud a few times.I regret not seeing it in a theater.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  punisher: war zone « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.