Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:42:25 PM
714424 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My love affair with an old friend is coming to a close... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: My love affair with an old friend is coming to a close...  (Read 2361 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:19:10 AM »

DISCLAIMER: This is not a sob story.  I'm not writing this for sympathy; just for background and dramatic effect.  I mean, it's not like I'm quitting cocaine or anything.  Lookingup

I've had a long going love affair with caffeine.  Started when my brother put Coke in my bottle at age 3 and told me it was called "p**s."  Later that day, I had a conversation with my dad:

Dad: What you drinking there?
Me: p**s!

It got my brother in trouble, but it also got me hooked on a sweet stimulant that I never was able to, or even wanted to, kick.

I first learned I was caffeine addicted when I had my first surgery to take out my cyst in 1997.  I thought that my headaches and fatigue were coming from the failed spinal block injection.  I went to the hospital, the hooked me up on an IV, and gave me two choices:

1) Either they've botched the spinal block from the surgery, and will have to drawn blood and painfully inject it onto my spine for it to coagulate,
or
2) I'm having caffeine withdrawals, and they're going to have my father run down stairs and pick me up a double shot latte. 

It wasn't a hard decision.

After drinking the latte, I felt better.  Any time I had withdrawals I fought them off with a Mountain Dew or a Pepsi or anything else that can be called a caffeine fist-f**k.  Where some people might drink maybe a can of soda a day, I drink somewhere from 4-6 cans a day, not to mention bottles that I purchase at work.  Saving money would be one perk of this venture.

Two years ago, I began to have severe lightheadedness and chest pains, both on separate occasions.  Nothing severe, but I wanted to make sure that they weren't anything like cancer or one of the many heart disorders.  I was diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks.  Doctor said it was from drinking so much caffeine. 

I brought it on myself.  I told myself to stop drinking it, but how it feels like I'm developing ADHD-like symptoms.  I lack focus, I slur my speech now more than ever, I feel lethargic, my brain feels like it's full of constant static, I feel like I get agitated more easily, and I went from being a tiger in the bed to a three-toed sloth. 

After doing some research and being tired of the above symptoms, I've decided to end my affair with caffeine.  I realize that there's a chance that some of the above may not be related to caffeine, but I still feel like it's the right thing to do.

I'm not going cold turkey.  I've felt the effects of that before.  I think I'm going to go for a nice weaning method.  I did almost quit that way once, and I felt great afterward. 

I guess there's nothing else to say except the cliche wish me luck.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »

Wow damn man, I've never heard of someone being hooked that badly to caffeine.  You have my sympathy and support.  Its funny because I usually have a cup of coffee once a day and hardly ever feel effects.  Hell, I could probably sleep after drinking one.  Soda I used to love but mainly for the taste.  I still get the occasional 12 pk.  I think my father in law has an addiction like yours.  He literally downs a half liter of Mountain Dew every day. 

As for advice I wish I could offer more.  Perhaps you could switch to a light roast to help you on your way. Either way, happy recovery.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »

Damn, a caffeine addict? and i thought i was bad cuz i have a car addiction Wink

yeah no.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »

Karma for luck  TeddyR

yeah no.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »

Wow thats really bad. I hope you can make it threw.  Cheers

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 04:37:36 PM »

Don't quit caffeine completely.. just learn to pace yourself.
Get two 2-liters for a week.  (much cheaper than 12-packs too!)  I have a glass before work and a glass at night.  I'll drink ice water if I'm still thirsty.  This method works great for me.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »

A karma for luck and support.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:36:01 PM »

Good luck.  I hope you can kick it!  And have a bit of karma.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:44:35 AM »

Dad: What you drinking there?
Me: p**s!

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Two years ago, I began to have severe lightheadedness and chest pains, both on separate occasions.  Nothing severe, but I wanted to make sure that they weren't anything like cancer or one of the many heart disorders.  I was diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks.  Doctor said it was from drinking so much caffeine. 
After doing some research and being tired of the above symptoms, I've decided to end my affair with caffeine.  I realize that there's a chance that some of the above may not be related to caffeine, but I still feel like it's the right thing to do.

I guess there's nothing else to say except the cliche wish me luck.

Joe, I was diagnosed with a stress related illness last year and the docs have me on all sorts of pills and stuff that I have to take but hate to. I also drink a lot of coffee and cola drinks, so I'm going to try and wean myself off of it: maybe I won't need the tablets.

All the best and karma for you.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 06:13:52 AM »

I used to drink about 10 cups a day of the stuff, but now I've knocked it down to one a week. Good luck with it russell.

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I've reduced my intake quite a bit, and I'm already feeling some slight effect.  I get tired much more quickly.  I think if I remain mobile, I can keep my mind off it.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »

NOOOOOO! I live n fear of losing my cafeine.  good luck though

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:47 PM »

Perhaps you could switch to a light roast to help you on your way. Either way, happy recovery.

It's better to go with a half-caff.  Light roast coffees actually have more caffeine than dark roast ones.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »

Joe, you've just described my worst nightmare.  Good luck to you.  Glad to hear the early stages are going well. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 05:07:22 AM »

I've managed to cut myself down to one cup of coffee a day so far but the cola drinks are another story. No caffeine before bed is another rule.  Drink

Thanks JoeTD!  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My love affair with an old friend is coming to a close... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.