Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:33:17 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Kids on Leashes?? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kids on Leashes??  (Read 6063 times)
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 18, 2010, 10:40:17 PM »

I don’t want to start any arguments, I just want people’s opinions.  I totally understand the negative perception some people might have about kids on leashes and I promise I will try not to get too offended if anyone thinks I’m an ogre for agreeing with them.

My daughter is going to be 1 ½ this spring and I’m preparing to take her out into the world to run and explore as soon as the weather permits!  We have a little puppy backpack for her with a “tail” and if I feel the need, I’m going to use it!  But I’m nervous because I’ve seen some seriously violent reactions from people who disagree with the whole kid on a leash thing.   

My reason for using one is to safely allow my daughter to explore and feel a small sense of independence without constantly being at the end of my arm or confined in a stroller… not to mention she’s short and it’s hell on the back to try to hunch over and hold her hand, especially when she’s not cooperative.  I wouldn’t use it as a way to justify ignoring my child at the mall or anything.  Even the best, most attentive parents would agree, kids are fast, they’re small, they can wriggle into or out of almost anything, and can be out of your sight in a second.  I don’t want to take the risk of her running to a dangerous place, getting lost in a crowd or getting stolen.  I would only use it in large, crowded or potentially unsafe places, like at the zoo or the beach.  I would not use it in a place like the park, that’s wide open and I can see her or a grocery store where she should be in a cart.

I’ve heard the argument that it’s humiliating to a child to be leashed.  Well, I just don’t agree that children under the age of 5 have the same sense of humility that adults do…I haven’t seen any adults throwing tantrums in the middle of the grocery store.  If at anytime I felt it made my daughter uncomfortable or embarrassed, I wouldn’t use it.  I’ve also heard that it’s a way for lazy parents to control their child instead of using proper discipline - I think that’s more treating a child like a trained animal than using a leash. 

I’m still a little uncomfortable with it though.  It DOES look a bit out of place when I see other parents using them, and something about it feels a little wrong, and I HATE calling it a leash.  However, my “mama bear” sense is telling me to do what’s best for my little one.

So what’s your opinion (try not to be too brutal, please!)?  If your parents leashed you when you were 3 and you’ve been damaged for life, I want to know!   If you agree with me, how would you respond to someone that might lash out about it?
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »

Depends on the kids behavior  TeddyR

yeah no.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:19:13 PM »

I have to agree with Bull here.  If the child gets hyper easily or is the type to get distracted and run away from you when you're not watching, then yes by all means leash em.  Wink

I somehow doubt that, unless they are made fun of to their face, the child will be traumatized by being leashed.  If nobody talks about it, and they are young enough, (Under four I'd say), and  it doesn't happen in front of their friends, I'd say they won't be traumatized.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »

I had twins . . . both as hyper as could be.

It was leash them or hamstring them!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 12:39:10 AM »

I have to agree with Bull here.  If the child gets hyper easily or is the type to get distracted and run away from you when you're not watching, then yes by all means leash em.  Wink

I somehow doubt that, unless they are made fun of to their face, the child will be traumatized by being leashed.  If nobody talks about it, and they are young enough, (Under four I'd say), and  it doesn't happen in front of their friends, I'd say they won't be traumatized.
Ill throw my hat into this ring too. It does make sense if the kid is real rowdy/exploring, but I think a parent should at least try to control their kids the old fashioned way before resorting to such measures. Not to say that Paquita doesn't have a valid reason, a sore back sucks!
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:49:14 AM »

I had twins . . . both as hyper as could be.

It was leash them or hamstring them!
I'm glad you didn't resort to the latter!
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 12:49:35 AM »

I guess my three were exceptionally tame children.   Or I am an overly-protective parent: when the children were on their own two feet there was no such thing as taking my eyes off them for a second.  If I had to pay attention elsewhere, or in crowds, hands were held or the kids were secured in the stroller or picked up and carried.  I would not dream of using a 'leash', although I can understand the desire to do so.

I would take issue with saying that teaching a child to be 'good' (or attentive or obedient) is treating them like a trained animal. (As opposed to treating them like a wild animal?) Though even when training animals what one is aiming to attain is willing compliance, not merely imposed constraint.

This subject came up on another board I am on.  The majority there seemed to be 'pro' leashes, so I imagine you will not encounter as much disapproval as you may expect.  Bottom line: you do what you feel you have to to keep them safe.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:53:39 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 01:23:17 AM »

I apologize in advance (I'm not a parent) but I don't like the idea of having a child on a leash for whatever the reason. Doing that, you might as well put the dog in the stroller and put a collar around your child's neck.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 05:12:26 AM »

I, too, think a leash is unnecessary.  Hell, I feel walking hand in hand with your kids when they're walking around is a good bonding exercise.  If you're afraid of bending over while walking and giving yourself a bad back, it doesn't seem to me like you'd have to bend over when holding their hand.  How short are they?  Just hold on tight.  If they are short and have to reach up high to hold your hand, as long as you have a good grip it should be really tough for them to pull away.  If they repeatedly misbehave and want to pull away, a sharp "No!" face to face often works; if not, a little smack on the butt is a tried-and-true method.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:20:16 AM »

It's your call paquita. I don't think there's too much horribly wrong with it, but I can see why other people may frown upon it. There's lots of people in this country who use them, as little kids just run out into the damn roads all the time and go splat! Do what you think is right, and screw other people.  Smile

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »

My daughter had a little monkey backpack similar to the puppy one Paquita described. She's outgrown it now, but she liked wearing it. Besides thinking the monkey was cute, it did allow her a bit more autonomy than she otherwise would have had. We rarely used it though. There were fairly specific situations where we might consider bringing the monkey backpack along. We found there were situations where a stroller or holding hands didn't offer the mix of freedom and security we wanted. Those were rare, though. The vast majority of times, holding hands was enough.

These things are not really that leash-like. It looks more like a cute little plush toy with a long tail, and it fits like a backpack. It's not as if the kid is wearing a choke collar and a Flexi lead.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:12:43 AM »

We did the monkey backpack thing with my first son.  The "tail" (aka leash) was mildly effective.  Most of the time we ended up having to put him in a stroller anyhow because he'd have some sort of tantrum and lay on the floor.  Theres nothing cruel about it Paquita so do it.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 08:19:13 AM »

It's a kid not a dog !  My wife I and have hated those things since they first appeared in the 80's.   

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:21:22 AM »

We did the same thing as Newt - never take your eyes off them for a second. 

I'm sure you'll do whatever's best for your kid Paquita  TeddyR 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Paquita

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 08:43:03 AM »

Thanks guys!  My daughter doesn't have a behavior problem and she's not hyper.. she's just 16 months old.  She has no sense of danger, she loves being chased, she's very curious, she's fast, and her communication skills haven't developed enough for her to tell someone if she's lost or to respond to me if I called her.  Just like AndyC said, I would probably rarely use it but would have it on hand just in case.

I understand the importance of holding hands, but there are some situations where I feel she shouldn't be glued to my side and she should be allowed to run a little and explore.

I never take my eyes off of her but she can be like a magic ninja sometimes.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Kids on Leashes?? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.