Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:42:48 PM
714456 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strangeland (1998) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Strangeland (1998)  (Read 2388 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: January 21, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »

I just wanted to get some input from others on this film. I saw it recently, although I missed about 10 minutes of it, but it wasn’t enough to throw me off. I had never even heard of this, and it’s been around for over ten years. Interesting little film, interesting cast. Certainly a b-movie, but it’s one of those films that has classic b-movie elements, as well as some “good” filmmaking elements. It also has some social commentary elements, including the classic “angry mob” that is a staple of older film genres but is sadly lacking in almost all of today’s films, and is an effective device for conveying the ignorance and fear of the status quo, and which has no modern metaphoric equivalent.

In a nutshell, it is the story of a sadist who goes by the name “Captain Howdy,” played by none other than Twisted Sister’s Dee Snyder covered in enough body modifications and piercings to rival the most extreme by today’s standard, let alone when it was released in 1998. He abducts victims and puts them through body modification rituals intended to liberate them (ironic as it involves a good deal of bondage). He is captured by a detective and sent to a mental hospital. Years later he is released as a “cured” man, with Dee dressed in conservative clothes and a ponytail, his tattoos covered with makeup, oddly resembling a long-haired, ponytailed Maynard Keenan. The local angry mob where he takes up residence thinks he is guilty of a local death and takes matter into their own hands to torture and humiliate the “rehabilitated” man. This causes him to revert back to his “Captain Howdy” persona, taking revenge by abducting the detective’s daughter.

This film incorporated some interesting elements about technology, such as luring victims through the Internet, the concept of which was still relatively new in 1998. I liked this film. Not the greatest thing ever made, but a nice little b-movie all the same.

I would like the know what other’s that have seen this film think.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:02:32 PM »

Ok film nice soundtrack... :)

I think it would be a much better film if Dee Snyder wasnt pull punching, sorry it felt like a typical horror film from the early 1990's, its only function is to build up the anti-hero...

The use of using the internet to pick up victims was cool but I had a hardtime buying Dee Snyder's character ability to use the internet chat and to lure the teen inside his house... I also had a hardtime buying that he just wanted to do is play piercing games on his victimes...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »

Oh, I'm not saying it's a terrific film. I was just taken aback by the fact that I had never ever heard of it and that it was a decent film. It's a b-movie, and is certainly not without it's bad elements. Some of the bit-part performances were godawful. Oh well, I thought it was good fun.

Skull
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »

It was fun story because its so unrealistic especially since Captain Howdy abduct minors and sexually tortured them and only went to jail for 4 years.

I wished he wasnt pull punching those teens...

metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:00:09 PM »

A Masterpiece!

I Bought Both The Movie And The Soundtrack!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 05:22:25 PM »

It was fun story because its so unrealistic especially since Captain Howdy abduct minors and sexually tortured them and only went to jail for 4 years.

You speak the truth, skull. However, this is a b-movie forum. I don't know what you're views are on the Phantasm series, but talk about unrealistic and ridiculous justifications for things that didn't make any sense. I loved Phantasm.

Skull
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »

You speak the truth, skull. However, this is a b-movie forum. I don't know what you're views are on the Phantasm series, but talk about unrealistic and ridiculous justifications for things that didn't make any sense. I loved Phantasm.

I love Phantasm... its a nightmare fantasy and there are a few stories that can walk in its shadow. I also believe Phantasm help to inspired Wes Craven to make Elm Street or at least show him that it's possible to make a low budget dream horror movie... I do remember him saying the Elm Street script was made around 1979-80 so its likely, its a shame he wouldnt admit it. Although, its a shame that Sam Raimi is still saying that he never seen Equinox 1970 before he made Evil Dead, its seems very odd that both movies almost mirror each other. :)
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 10:23:48 PM »

When I first saw Strangeland I was just completely blown away by it. I got a little taste of Silence Of The Lambs with Strangeland and thought Dee Snider just did a bang up job as a psychopath. Strangeland is definitly one of the better unknown independent horror films of the 90's.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 10:29:13 PM »

I'll just cut and paste my old review:

"Dee Snider tortures teens (with needles, not by playing them cuts from the Twisted Sister reunion album). A shallow peek at modern primitive culture can't save this incompetent, rote shocker.  This movie makes you want to stand up and shout, 'We're not going to take it anymore!'"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »

"Dee Snider tortures teens (with needles, not by playing them cuts from the Twisted Sister reunion album). A shallow peek at modern primitive culture can't save this incompetent, rote shocker.  This movie makes you want to stand up and shout, 'We're not going to take it anymore!'"

I tend to respect your opinions, Rev. We'll just have to disagree here. I liked it. A good "bad" movie in my opinion.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »

I tend to respect your opinions, Rev. We'll just have to disagree here. I liked it. A good "bad" movie in my opinion.

Yeah, jlb67, I tend to agree with your opinions as well.  I was a little surprised you liked STRANGELAND so much, but no big deal, opposing opinions are fun.  I will point out that there is apparently a huge swing of opinion on this movie.  According to Flixter 68% of their users liked it, but only 7% of critics.  I'm with the critics on this one.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »

Yeah, jlb67, I tend to agree with your opinions as well.  I was a little surprised you liked STRANGELAND so much, but no big deal, opposing opinions are fun.  I will point out that there is apparently a huge swing of opinion on this movie.  According to Flixter 68% of their users liked it, but only 7% of critics.  I'm with the critics on this one.
Shown frequently on IFC, STRANGELAND is clumsily contrived cliches.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
joejoeherron
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 01:34:56 AM »

I saw the ads for "Strangland" when it came out. I was not a '80s music kind of a guy, so I missed it.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strangeland (1998) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.