Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:38:22 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Top 10 Worst Movie Cliches « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top 10 Worst Movie Cliches  (Read 2655 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: January 27, 2010, 06:26:34 PM »

Here's an interesting list and sure most of us movie fans can recongize.  I always thought number one and 10 were the worst with any film.

Small | Large

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:11:06 PM »

Some of 'em can get annoying, especially the ones that have to do with directorial style (Comedic pause and 360 spin can make somebody groan if they're aware of it :P). Many of them are justified though, in my mind. The trip can be done well; personally I thought for all the complaints it got in the film The Strangers did it respectfully, as did Cujo as should have been apparent in the video. The "stupid villain" cliche of not just shooting the hero is very justified IMO: come on, you've spent God knows how long plotting your evil victory, when some do-gooder f**ks with you you're bound to not want to let the busybody off with a quick headshot :P.

My least favorite here is probably "the car won't start," at least when there is no reason given for it... that is a big example of "uncommon inconvenience on film" XP

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:17:56 PM »

the stupid villains- honestly, Norman Bates is the complete opposite!  TongueOut

yeah no.
Starsky
Bad Movie Lover

you play a good game, boy!

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:43:29 AM »

There's one thing that has been bugging me for a while: every time when a chick in a Hollywood produced movie, such as Forgetting Sarah Marshall, wakes up during the night and moves only an inch,  she pulls up the covers so you can't see her tits, why? What person that wakes up at the crack of dawn and goes back to sleep 5 minutes later is thinking "oh oh,  if I don't pull up the covers those tittys are going to show *yank*"

I demand those boobs!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:55:24 AM »

There's one thing that has been bugging me for a while: every time when a chick in a Hollywood produced movie, such as Forgetting Sarah Marshall, wakes up during the night and moves only an inch,  she pulls up the covers so you can't see her tits, why? What person that wakes up at the crack of dawn and goes back to sleep 5 minutes later is thinking "oh oh,  if I don't pull up the covers those tittys are going to show *yank*"

I demand those boobs!
You know this annoys me too.  Back in the day dramas, comedies, action...ok lets face it, every film had nudity.  Nowadays you hardly seen nudity on the big screen and that to me is an abomination.

I get sick of certain actor cliches more than anything.  Jennifer Anniston playing a girl with relationship problems, Will Smith playing a PG rated wise talking law enforcement officer, etc...

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »

The "stupid villain" cliche of not just shooting the hero is very justified IMO: come on, you've spent God knows how long plotting your evil victory, when some do-gooder f**ks with you you're bound to not want to let the busybody off with a quick headshot :P.
I like when a film parodies this though.  Like in Austin Powers where Scott Evil confronts his father about not shooting his enemies in lieu of putting them in the elaborate death situation with an inept guard.  Or when Frozone in The Incredibles is reliving his old days with Mr. Incredible about one of his villains going in to monologue mode when he could have killed him.   BounceGiggle

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Skull
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:54:04 AM »

wow the best thing about this video its less then 10 minutes long.

Boy, I disagree many points on this video as well as im surprise that trailers are mentioned... Gees.

What dont agree...

b***hing about the comic use of The Matrix dodging effects is almost like b***hing about the comic uses of lightsabers. Both are typical and works with comedy. I wouldnt call this a Movie Cliche since this isnt common and rarely used today.

Trailers as Movie Cliche is stupid. I'm sorry but your selling a movie within 1 min. So the tricks are going to be typical, sure there is cleaver tricks but in general they are all the same. Grab your attention and make you want to see this movie. (I really think wasting 2 slots [or 3] on movie trailers is a waste)

The 360 spin can be annoying but part of the tricks to build the character and story to the viewer.

Falling ~ the only thing annoying about falling is when its placed in a horror or comedy that intends to point it out. I think Scary Movie actually has made the Falling Cliche stupid.

Talking Villains ~ what can I say. The bad guy has the upperhand and is gloating about it. Unfortunately watching a movie isnt like reading a book; the bad guy in the book could have a page or 2 on his inner thoughts of success which would take a few seconds of real time, a blink of an eye and he would smile only to get beaten. Saddly a movie cannot transition this gloating emotion very well and the killer is forced to say a line or 2 before he/she does their deed.

Whispering ~ old as Shakespeare, actually, I think he invented this method where the viewers are in on the characters inner thoughts while the others around dont know what's going on, which later was changed into a character talking to another while the others are not aware. Again typical to keep the movie in motion, if this scene was cut out then we would be left in the dark.

I also think lip reading is another angle of the cliche that isnt similar to whispering since this becomes a plot device.

PS... I love Charles Bronson ability to read lips in The Mechanic (1972)

The car wont start ~ this is a typical cliche although if the car was made pre 1990's its believable since people can flood the carburetor. I had an old car and these things do happen, although usually most movies will play "car trouble" early in the film. Dennis Weaver's car was over heating before he ran into the crazy truck driver. It does get annoying when cars from movies in the late 1990's and beyond plays the same old cliche because those cars are 'fuel injected' and they dont have the tendency to flood. Although mechanical falure can happen although I've been noticing that many horror films would have the engine gutted.

Ok my 10 really bad movie cliches.

10 ~ Out of gas. This is a plot device and a typical cliche, the intent is to get the person (or persons) from point a to point b and stuck at point c. Although it seems necessary at times it does make you wonder what are those people thinking of driving through the woods at night on a semi empty tank of gas.

9 ~ Cars dont stop durring a police chase scene. This really annoys me and it seems that drivers dont know the rules of the road, the siren is screaming loud and the lights are flashing, yet nobody is pulling over.

8 ~ a surprise touch from a friend. I do agree (from the video listing) this is quite annoying. It also questions the realtionship of the friends.

7 ~ "Holy Leaping Cat" Batman. More annoying then a surprised touch from a friend is a cat popping out from nowhere, actually in many films its seems that somebody has tossed the cat in the air.

6 ~ The Character is doing something that's too stupid. This often veries but it idea is typical, the character or characters does something that defies all rational reasoning and makes you wonder why?

5 ~ The Cube effect. This is when the movie starts and a bunch of people waking up into a strange area and not knowing why or who is with them. This is a cute idea but its been over played since Saw and its ripoffs, I call it the Cube effect because Cube (1997) came before Saw.

4 ~ Nerds are very smart. Really? Why?

3 ~ Unfriendly roadtrip. wow talk about annoying, the movie starts with a car full of teens/young adults b***hing at each other. It often makes me wonder about the characters "If you dont like the person then why are you willing to spend a weekend with them." This is a typical setup in many horror films.

2 ~ Pull Punching Psycho. typical since "horror became a franchise" and many horror films try to reach that PG-13 rating. It tends to annoy me since these movies would illistrate how graphic and dangerous the psycho is yet they are not as bad or violent. Sometimes [and i find it strange] they have morals standards and will not kill a child, gees where the balls? frankenstein's monster killed a kid and its from the 1930's!

1 ~ Hehe, I'm alive! A special thanks for the "horror is a franchise" movement that no matter what's done to the badguy, the badguy will see part 2, even if part 2 is never made.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Top 10 Worst Movie Cliches « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.