Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:29:43 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Films With Effective Endings You Dislike « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Films With Effective Endings You Dislike  (Read 4340 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »

another is the Italian Job original. the end with the bus teeter-tautering over the cliff is...bad. the remake is MUCH better.

yeah no.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 04:46:16 PM »

Maybe I belong in Europe or something, but I typically don't enjoy films that tie everything up for me in a neat package and deliver it on a silver platter. Films that end in ambiguity or some lack of closure usually stimulate me more. I prefer to let my brain provide my own ending, since most movie endings disappoint me. Rev brought up a Cohen Brothers film, and they have a tendency to do that alot. And I like most Cohen Brothers movies. Now, in the sequel setting that's different. Films that leave ambiguity or a lead-in to a sequel is not the same things as what I'm talking about. I'm talking about stand-alone films that are somewhat open-ended. In the old days many films were originally meant as stand-alone films and, because of their success, a sequel was made. In the sequel, they try to answer the ambiguity in the first film that made it work, or they try to say "what if this happened later?" It kills the original film. An example of this is Silence of the Lambs. I much prefer to not know every little detail about Hannibal Lechter. The rest of the films killed the charm of Silence by answering everything.

My opinion, and I don't much care if anyone agrees with it or not.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »

I actually agree with Flick James for the most part. I like movies that have endings without complete closure. I ALSO like movies with ambiguous, open-to-interpretation endings, and movies with really bleak, downbeat endings. That said, they don't always work. I thought the ending to The Mist ruined what was an otherwise damn good movie. As far movies with endings of this sort that work in the context of the movie, but nevertheless don't quite gel with me, the two that immediately pop into my mind are The Departed and The Wrestler. I love love LOVE both of those movies, and I think their endings feel mostly right within the flow, structure, tone, and theme of the films, but something about the both of them just don't feel right to ME. In The Departed, I felt like Leo's character should have survived. As it is now, it's a good ending, and I like it, but that one element bugs some part of my psyche. Likewise, in The Wrestler, I though the open ending worked... but felt a little like it was thrown in JUST to have an open ending. The way my mind works, the way I see the story going in my head, I think it should've gone on... and Randy The Ram should've had the heart attack in the ring, woken up in a hospital, having NARROWLY survived another cardiac arrest, with his daughter and Marisa Tomei's stripper character at his bedside, THEN the credits. I think perhaps that sound a teeny bit saccharine, and I normally don't go in for "sweet" endings, but in the case of The Wrestler I just think it would have been more appropriate than what the actual ending was. As it stands, mind you, I'd still give The Wrestler 5 out of 5 stars (although I'd probably give The Departed more like 4 out of 5).

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »

I actually agree with Flick James for the most part. I like movies that have endings without complete closure. I ALSO like movies with ambiguous, open-to-interpretation endings, and movies with really bleak, downbeat endings. That said, they don't always work. I thought the ending to The Mist ruined what was an otherwise damn good movie. As far movies with endings of this sort that work in the context of the movie, but nevertheless don't quite gel with me, the two that immediately pop into my mind are The Departed and The Wrestler. I love love LOVE both of those movies, and I think their endings feel mostly right within the flow, structure, tone, and theme of the films, but something about the both of them just don't feel right to ME. In The Departed, I felt like Leo's character should have survived. As it is now, it's a good ending, and I like it, but that one element bugs some part of my psyche. Likewise, in The Wrestler, I though the open ending worked... but felt a little like it was thrown in JUST to have an open ending. The way my mind works, the way I see the story going in my head, I think it should've gone on... and Randy The Ram should've had the heart attack in the ring, woken up in a hospital, having NARROWLY survived another cardiac arrest, with his daughter and Marisa Tomei's stripper character at his bedside, THEN the credits. I think perhaps that sound a teeny bit saccharine, and I normally don't go in for "sweet" endings, but in the case of The Wrestler I just think it would have been more appropriate than what the actual ending was. As it stands, mind you, I'd still give The Wrestler 5 out of 5 stars (although I'd probably give The Departed more like 4 out of 5).

Concerning The Mist, I thought it was an decent film (except for some weak CGI elements), but yes, that ending p**sed me off immensely to the point that I will never give it a second screening. I never read the book, but I understand it didn't end like that. The ending was open-ended, but it was hopeful, they end up hearing a civilian radio station broadcasting the information about how the military was taking care of the situation, and they end up continuing into the mist not knowing if they're going to survive and make it out or not. No shootings. I figure they didn't know how to make that ending work in a film, so they tried to slap on a bleak edgy ending and it ended up making no sense and p**sing me off. I didn't want to kill that guy, I wanted to torture him slowly for several days.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 10:10:09 PM »

Concerning The Mist, I thought it was an decent film (except for some weak CGI elements), but yes, that ending p**sed me off immensely to the point that I will never give it a second screening. I never read the book, but I understand it didn't end like that. The ending was open-ended, but it was hopeful, they end up hearing a civilian radio station broadcasting the information about how the military was taking care of the situation, and they end up continuing into the mist not knowing if they're going to survive and make it out or not. No shootings. I figure they didn't know how to make that ending work in a film, so they tried to slap on a bleak edgy ending and it ended up making no sense and p**sing me off. I didn't want to kill that guy, I wanted to torture him slowly for several days.

To me, it felt like a bad joke. Like, I half-expected to hear a drumroll-and-rimshot after those military guys rolled out of the fog.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Films With Effective Endings You Dislike « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.