Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:53:41 PM
714541 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7746 Members
Latest Member: Bluetoothicb
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Leaves Of Grass « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Leaves Of Grass  (Read 1864 times)
Javakoala
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:15:03 PM »

Okay, I have no idea where to post this, but this is set in Oklahoma, and I'm from Oklahoma, and, well, I actually feel offended by this insulting crap. The Keys To Tulsa was a better portrayal of Oklahoma life than this stereotypical piece of BS.

It is here to watch, if you care. Ed Norton is so much better than this. Everyone involved is so much better than this.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi68289561/
Skull
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:12:23 AM »

Why take offense to this?

The plot is silly, identical twins brothers (Ed Norton plays two roles) one is very smart (Ivy League professor) and one if very dumb (a small-time pot grower) and naturally [so I dont need to see this] the smart brother is missing his "fun" life and his dumb twin shows him how to get it back while taking down the drug lord (I'll assume he doing this for the money), although since this is an Ed Norton movie, I'll assume that the dumb twin dies at the end; so you have 20 minutes of sadness and an oscar like perfomance...

Skull
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:18:14 AM »

Why or when did IMDB start calling Ed Norton... Edward Norton (although the same name, kind of... he's really known as Ed not Edward)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:45:25 AM »

You're not alone.  Thanks to the movie Fargo, everybody thinks that all us Minnesotans talk like we just got off the boat from Norway, even though I've lived here for about 43 of my 45 years and have heard maybe 1 person actually talk like that.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:11:03 AM »

Funny how that goes, Jack: what really surprised me the first time and strikes me about '"Fargo" each time I see it is how much the accent does sound like my parents' neighbours in their part of North Dakota...but then maybe people were putting it on a little thicker than normal for the entertainment of the visitors?  Or maybe it simply stood out to my foreign ear.  They certainly found my 'Canadian' accent to be a hoot.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »

For the past 8 years my home has been Pennsylvania, where non-Pennsylvanians think we all wear overalls and drive tractors.  I orginally hail from New York ... Long Island to be precise. Or should I say "Laung Eyeland". That's what people tell me it sounds like when I mention my NY roots.  Never sounded that strange to me though.

Maybe what they really hear is the little bit of southwest Florida thrown in.  I lived there for 2 years and slowly took in some of the local "flavor".  "Where you at?" quickly replaced "where are you?"

I wonder what I would sound like if I moved to Texas?  TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:21:55 PM »

Or should I say "Laung Eyeland". That's what people tell me it sounds like when I mention my NY roots.  Never sounded that strange to me though.

Always sounds to me like they pronounce it "Lon Guyland."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »

The plot is silly, identical twins brothers (Ed Norton plays two roles) one is very smart (Ivy League professor) and one if very dumb (a small-time pot grower) and naturally [so I dont need to see this] the smart brother is missing his "fun" life and his dumb twin shows him how to get it back while taking down the drug lord (I'll assume he doing this for the money), although since this is an Ed Norton movie, I'll assume that the dumb twin dies at the end; so you have 20 minutes of sadness and an oscar like perfomance...

I have no problem with ribbing people for certain things, but this movie, although a comedy, presents an Oklahoma that I know does NOT exist in any shape or form.  Seriously, take the time to find Keys To Tulsa and you will see what life is more like in and around Tulsa, which was the main location for that book and movie (I have read and seen both, and, yes, that is horrible grammar but I is frum Ok-lee-homer). Okay, that movie and book was more late 80's, but still, we have our dialect but we aren't morons and they have some of these people talking more Southern or even Texan than Oklahoman.
Skull
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:40:13 PM »

I have no problem with ribbing people for certain things, but this movie, although a comedy, presents an Oklahoma that I know does NOT exist in any shape or form.  Seriously, take the time to find Keys To Tulsa and you will see what life is more like in and around Tulsa, which was the main location for that book and movie (I have read and seen both, and, yes, that is horrible grammar but I is frum Ok-lee-homer). Okay, that movie and book was more late 80's, but still, we have our dialect but we aren't morons and they have some of these people talking more Southern or even Texan than Oklahoman.

The plot has a small-time pot grower, I bet he has the typical pot smoking dialect (or his friends), and those dialects are outrageously unreal, gee... I seldom see a movie where the drug addicts are realisticly unwashed, starving and unresponsive... except when they get the shakes because they are going thru withdraw (oh the real drug life is almost never showned because its not glamourous.)

Sadly I live in Chicago and the only steriotypical attacks I'd seen is... Al Capone, and the gesture of shoting people with a tommygun.

I just think the story is too silly to take it serous, although I do undstand the "Fargo" arugment but I think that was a timing issue, the movie was made at the right time... :)

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Leaves Of Grass « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.