Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:33:50 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Alice in Wonderland (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alice in Wonderland (2010)  (Read 5424 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 06, 2010, 02:39:11 AM »

Ok, this doesn't TRULY belong in the bad movie category.  It's OK.  But, I wasn't quite willing to put it in the good section, so, here it is.

Basically, it was alright.  There wasn't much I found BAD about it, there just wasn't a whole lot I really liked a lot.  It was kind of frustrating that way, actually.  Let me try to break it down:

The Good
-Helena Bonham Carter was amusing.  Most of the voice work was excellent - including one I didn't quite expect from a legendary actor everyone on here probably likes.  In particular, Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat...
-The Cheshire Cat was cool.  But really, is he ever NOT cool?  Not as good as the original Disney version, but still an enjoyable character nonetheless. 
-As far as trying to make a true narrative out of the Alice story (really, the original story has practically no structure to speak of), the film did a decent enough job.

The Bad
-I actually thought a lot of the visuals weren't too impressive - Tim Burton seems to do a lot better with a darker color scheme (Consider Sweeney Todd VS Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).  The CG work on Crispin Glover (he's mostly CG in many shots) was flakey.  Some background plates looked unfinished almost - I think they were going for dreamy, but it didn't work.

-Maybe not quite bad, but Mia Masikowska was just so-so as Alice.  She's grounded and believable, but nothing special in the role.  I'm of the opinion she got the role in large part because she fit the look Burton was going for rather than pure acting ability.

-The third act is just kinda blah.

The Ugly
-Depp as the Mad Hatter is nowhere near as interesting as you might think.  He's ok, but really, that's about it.  I suspect all the green screening was hard on him. 

-Crispin Glover isn't nearly as entertaining in this as I'd have hoped.  Not really his fault, as he isn't given much to do.

I don't know..  The film is passably entertaining, I guess.  Overall, it's a 6/10 from me.
Skull
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 08:31:01 AM »

I was hoping for American McGee's Alice... I'd figured that isnt happening for now since Disney is producing the movie and its rated pg. (although American McGee's Alice would be easy for Tim)

So far the trailer didnt impress me and Depp looks like a sick clown.
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »

I Went To See It Yesterday , I Thought It Was Really Good
nilbog
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »

Haven't seen it yet - I'll se it in the coming week most probably - although I have been hearing some average things about it.

Hows the 3D? Just wondering as it was shot in 2D and converted in post production.

craptasticmovies.com

"Nilbog! It's Goblin Spelt Backwards!"
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 02:24:40 AM »

Haven't seen it yet - I'll se it in the coming week most probably - although I have been hearing some average things about it.

Hows the 3D? Just wondering as it was shot in 2D and converted in post production.

A waste of money.  Think it would have been better in 2D, actually, since the colors would be brighter.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »

I saw it yesterday afternoon.  I really just didn't like it.  I can't even give reasons why.  I couldn't get into the characters and I got bored with it really quickly.  I  wish I could say more      ...   Bluesad

Hold onto your dreams ....
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 03:30:33 PM »

Time Burton and CGI should never need to be mixed. It's like lamenating toilet paper.

Jim H

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »

Time Burton and CGI should never need to be mixed. It's like lamenating toilet paper.

I agree, actually.  He seems to do a lot better with primarily real sets.  Granted, some of the city scape stuff in Sweeney Todd looks good, as do some of the other plated in effects background shots.  But, if you compare the visuals and "look" of Alice or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to Batman, Edward Scissorhands or Beetlejuice, I think it is pretty clear he does better with more grounded stuff. 
venomx
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »

I agree.

I watched it last night in IMAX with my girlfriend and her daughter.

Great FX at times but I didnt understand what the hell I was watching, very odd story for me lol.

Depp as the Mad Hatter= Umm... OK I guess, I will always like him best as Capt Jack tho.

The Cheshire Cat was awesome!!!!!! I liked everything about him!!!!!!!!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 02:20:22 PM »

I go by professional reviews and amateur reviews when faced with a film I'm unsure about going to see. This is one of them. I saw one review that said something along the lines of it being a terrible movie and the acting was terrible (yes, even Johnny Depp). That was enough for me. I'll wait.

I don't dislike Tim Burton, I think he's done some great things, quite alot of mediocre things, and some very terrible things. I still thing Pee Wee's Big Adventure was one of his high-water marks. I just think he is a mediocre filmmaker, my opinion. I've been disappointed too many times not to be careful when contemplating spending my ticket dollars on him.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of Burton.  He's pretty hit or miss.  I'll still probably see Alice in Wonderland, but I probably won't enjoy it as much as I would want to.  I really think American McGee's Alice is one of the few video games that would make a good movie.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »

Allow me to use this opportunity to suggest seeing Jan Svankmajer's adaptation, simply called "Alice." A surrealist stop-motion nightmare. One of the finest adaptations of Lewis Caroll's stories, in my humble opinion.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »

Actually, Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam both cite Svankmajer as a major influence on their work.

nilbog
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »

I saw it yesterday. In 3D. It was alright. The 3D was average - unfortunately, it was quite gimmicky at times (things flying towards camera etc). Also I felt when she wasn't in Wonderland at times the shots looked flat and not very 3D - maybe a result of shooting in 2D and converting it to 3D in post production.

Sure the glasses dim it, but (at least the places I go) they up the brightness to counteract the glasses effect, so the colours and brightness look the same as it would in 2D presentations.

craptasticmovies.com

"Nilbog! It's Goblin Spelt Backwards!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »

The general consensus seems to be that it's so-so, and I agree.  I saw it in 2-D, by the way, and didn't feel like I was missing a thing.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Alice in Wonderland (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.