Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:08:20 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  7th anniversary of Iraq War passes, little noticed « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 7th anniversary of Iraq War passes, little noticed  (Read 8693 times)
Pennywise
Bad Movie Lover

The clown banned in 51 states!

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 10:30:17 PM »

Well, the Iraq war showed me that I'll never serve in the U.S. military. Pretty much all of the nobility began to drain away from it when the U.S. government began to hire mercenaries from Blackwater (now called Xe) for more than they pay our soldiers with almost no accountability or discipline. They always say that they're defending my freedom in the military, but they're not as my freedom is always under assault over here in the U.S. There was no military assault on Wall Street so you're not defending my freedom against a bunch of people over in Iraq or Afghanistan. Terrorists just want to kill us, not take away our freedom. Our government takes away our freedom and will never give it back. The Patriot Act is still in effect.

The military is supposed to fight Al Qaeda and insurgents over in these countries, but terrorists will not meet you on a battlefield and are content to kill civilians in a city. Of course, we never really cared about those people's well being, just about our own. There was no running tally of Iraqi and Afghani civilian (non-insurgent, non-terrorist) deaths, just of our own dead and wounded. Not on any of the news networks. How can you give democracy to people you don't really care about?

But we did give them democracy and they've had a couple of elections...and we're still there. The death continues anyway. We are teaching these people how to fight like we do and we're still stuck there. How will that work? We never got cheaper oil from Iraq, but Halliburton and other companies made a fortune on no-bid contracts.

We stay there out of foolish pride, but there is no point anymore. No one is going to invade us and the terrorists can apparently just get into our country anyway since we keep catching them. Keep this war in your mind forever and don't forget it like we forgot Vietnam apparently because we wound up in another war that went nowhere.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 12:22:48 AM »

I've heard a lot of liberal whining about the Patriot Act, but guys like Michael Moore, Mill Maher, Tim Robbins and others still got rich trashing the Bush administration.  Liberal Congressmen underimined our troops and provided lots of talking points to our enemies.  Protesters heckled the President everywhere he went for six years.

I would say that freedom of speech and association is alive and well in America, so spare me the whining about the big bad Patriot Act.

Frankly, this health care bill probably hurt American liberties worse than anything George W. did in his 8 years in office.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Javakoala
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »

I've heard a lot of liberal whining about the Patriot Act, but guys like Michael Moore, Mill Maher, Tim Robbins and others still got rich trashing the Bush administration.  Liberal Congressmen underimined our troops and provided lots of talking points to our enemies.  Protesters heckled the President everywhere he went for six years.

I would say that freedom of speech and association is alive and well in America, so spare me the whining about the big bad Patriot Act.

Frankly, this health care bill probably hurt American liberties worse than anything George W. did in his 8 years in office.

Well, if I want to check out The Anarchist Cookbook at the library just to see what the fuss is about, I shouldn't be on a check list. But, hey, my fingerprints are on file, so...come get me for learning how to protect myself if worse comes to worse. Oh, and by the way, for those with children, keep in mind that your kids are being cataloged when you buy into the whole ID kit through your local police department in case your kids are snatched. For years, we had no base of fingerprints or identifying markers for the populace. Thanks to this program, your kids MAY be found easier IF they are snatched, but they can't do diddly without being tagged as being involved once you've done this. I'm in the system, so I could care less, but seeing future generations cataloged makes me wonder what is the ultimate reason for this. And I'm surprised, Lester, that you haven't touched on this, considering your rather liberal leanings. It is more of a nightmare than "nude" scanning.

But, hey, it's for the good of the children...right?

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »

That's because the Patriot Act didn't do much to directly curtail rights (except for privacy) and freedoms of American citizens.  Instead it gave more power to the government to intrude and spy in on the personal and business lives of people in the USA. 

I'd think you'd be against it for this reason. 

Personally, I didn't like some of the provisions, and thought a few things it can do to non-citizens are quite objectionable (indefinite holdings on a whim, for example), but I do think the extent of how awful it is are exaggerated. 

I might add the Patriot Act did good too - things like reorganizing government entities to better share information on crime and terrorism. 
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  7th anniversary of Iraq War passes, little noticed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.