Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:49:01 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Games  |  Fame or Shame: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Author Topic: Fame or Shame: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread  (Read 159630 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »

The Blade Runners - Flash & Rock join the Tag Teams Hall of Shame. They would later on go on to fame and fortune as singles grapplers known by then under the names Sting and The Ultimate Warrior but early on in their careers, they were in this early tag team where they were very raw and inexperienced performers who had a more futuritsic take on a Road Warriors style gimmick, more of a New Wave approach with make-up actually based on that worn by Daryl Hannah in the 1982 sci-fi classic Blade Runner. They were two musclemen who relied on the raw power game. Initially both men were members of Powerteam USA, a group of four powerful young musclemen trained by Red Bastien and Rick Bassman. Eventually the other two members of Powerteam would leave wrestling behind and Bassman would move on to other territories as a manager leaving Flash & Rock on their own after which they'd form the Blade Runners and would compete in Jerry Jarrett's CWA and Bill Watts' UWF. Actually their initial name in Memphis was the Freedom Fighters under names Justice & Flash but they were so inexperienced and powerful, their hard hitting stiff style lead to them often injuring opponents meaning their stay there was short-lived. They'd go on to feud with Ted DiBiase and Steve Williams in the UWF where they'd become part of HotStuff International, Inc. managed by "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert, Justice changing his name to Rock and Flash finally changing his name to Sting, the name he would become most known under. After less than 6 months in the UWF, Rock would leave for World Class changing his name to The Dingo Warrior before later moving on to his greatest fame as the Ultimate Warrior in the WWF. They'd have one brief reunion in late 1998 on WCW Monday Nitro during Warrior's short-lived run there where they teamed as Sting and Warrior vs. Hollywood Hogan and Bret Hart, then aligned with the nWo. The match however was disappointing and featured very little in-ring from Warrior ending in a DQ when the rest of the nWo interfered.

The One Man Gang, also known as Akeem, the African Dream joins the Singles Hall of Shame. The One Man Gang was a huge man who relied mainly on his huge size (height- 6 foot 9 inches, weight over 450 pounds) to gain in-ring success. Early on competing on the independent circuit, he competed under the names Crusher Gray (his real name was George Gray) and Crusher Bloomfield. He first started making waves as Bloomfield competing in Angelo Poffo's ICW where he became a part of an angle where Randy "Macho Man" Savage controlled his contract and Ron Garvin battled Savage to gain Bloomfield his freedom. Later he'd change his name to the more recognizable One Man Gang, billed as guy from the streets of Chicago who could take out numerous opposition all on his lonesome, he'd go on to work in NWA affiliates Mid-South Wrestling and World Class. He'd have many managers in the different territories in which he worked and became the cornerstone of sorts of some stables. These managers included the likes of Kevin Sullivan, Theodore Long, Sir Jim Holiday and Sir Oliver Humperdink. He'd perhaps have his most memorable allegiance as Gang with General Skandor Akbar as one of the star members of Akbar's "Devastation Inc." under whom he'd make his mark in World Class and Mid-South/UWF. By 1986, he'd become one of the UWF's top villains feuding with the popular "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan. In late 1986, Gang won the UWF Heavyweight Championship winning the title via forfeit from Terry Gordy who had been attacked and taken out of action by "Dr. Death" Steve Williams. Gang would hold the title for 6 months battling the likes of Duggan, Williams and Ted DiBiase over the championship. By May 1987, Gang would sign with the WWF but would return to the UWF to drop the title to Big Bubba Rogers.

He'd go on to debut in WWF as a monster heel in the stable of Slick, the Doctor of Style. Gang easily defeated opponents on the lower end of the card but had a lot more trouble against headliners like Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage.  Gang would be involved in the angle that led to the early retirement of "Superstar" Billy Graham. Gang would be part of the successful winning team captained by Andre the Giant at Survivor Series 1987 defeating Hulk Hogan's team with Gang and Bundy significantly involved in Hogan getting counted out and Gang later wearing down Bigelow for Andre who would be the match's sole survivor. Gang would be part of the Wrestlemania IV WWF Title Tournament defeating Bam Bam Bigelow by countout in the opening round but later getting disqualified against Randy Savage in the semifinals after getting caught hitting Savage with his manager's cane. Following this, he'd fall further down the card and would feud with the likes of Bam Bam Bigelow, Koko B. Ware and Don "The Rock" Muraco usually coming out on top in said matches. In September 1988, Gang decided to undergone a transformation and became Akeem, the African Dream, a silly parody gimmick of sorts of "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes where Akeem claimed to be of African descent and he started talking with an extremely stereotypical  black accent. The gimmick was bad but was so over the top in execution it was laughable and no doubt hilarious to many wrestling fans although no doubt many found it offensive as well. He'd go on to form a powerful tag team with the Big Bossman known as The Twin Towers and they would go on to feud with the MegaPowers tandem of Hulk Hogan and Randy "Macho Man" Savage before later targeting WWF World Tag Team Champions Demolition although they never did defeat Demolition for the belts although they did feud with them for quite some time. They were also heavily involved the MegaPowers split-up between Hogan and Savage at the Main Event being the MegaPowers opponents the night they started arguing over manager Elizabeth. They'd go on to defeat the Rockers at Wrestlemania V. They'd eventually split with Big Bossman turning on Slick and Akeem after refusing to take a pay-off from Ted DiBiase. Bossman would defeat Akeem at Wrestlemania VI in Akeem's last notable WWF match and feud.

Akeem would move to WCW in 1991 resuming his old One Man Gang gimmick where he'd go on to feud with El Gigante and would be managed by Kevin Sullivan but wouldn't do much of note otherwise and plans were for him to job for others apparently his refusal to due which led to him being fired. He'd return in 1995 and would become a member of Kevin Sullivan's Dungeon of Doom stable at one point defeating Kensuke Sasaki for the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship, a title he'd shortly thereafter lose to Konnan. Gang made brief appearances for ECW and WWF in the late 90s, early 2000s but nothing long term. Following an heart attack in 2000, Gang lost a lot of weight and went on to work as a prison guard at the Louisiana State Penitentiary. In the late 2000s, he actually made sporadic in-ring appearances on the independent circuit including with Chikara and IWC.

One Man Gang/Akeem's Title Accomplishments: BBOW Heavyweight Championship, NWA Brass Knuckles Championship (Florida version), NWA United States Tag Team Championship (Florida version) (w/ Ron Bass), DSW Hardcore Championship, i-Generation Wrestling Australasian Championship (2 times), NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Championship (w/ Kelly Kiniski), WCW United States Heavyweight Championship, UWF World Heavyweight Championship, NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Championship (Texas version) (w/ Killer Tim Brooks and Mark Lewin), WWC Hardcore Championship (2 times)

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #316 on: February 05, 2012, 08:33:15 PM »

Chris Jericho joins the Hosts/Announcers Hall of Fame. Although one might not know it lately, Jericho is undoubtably one of wrestling's greatest talkers known for his frequently entertaining verbal sparring with opponents over the years the likes of the Rock, Christian, Shawn Michaels, Triple H and many more. His interview show "The Highlight Reel" has been consistently entertaining with many memorable moments over the years especially his criticism laced interviews with Shawn Michaels leading to an eventual attack and all out feud. Jericho, believe it or not, has long been an entertaining loudmouth.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »

Chris Jericho joins the Hosts/Announcers Hall of Fame. Although one might not know it lately, Jericho is undoubtably one of wrestling's greatest talkers known for his frequently entertaining verbal sparring with opponents over the years the likes of the Rock, Christian, Shawn Michaels, Triple H and many more. His interview show "The Highlight Reel" has been consistently entertaining with many memorable moments over the years especially his criticism laced interviews with Shawn Michaels leading to an eventual attack and all out feud. Jericho, believe it or not, has long been an entertaining loudmouth.
What's he said in the last month? Like, two sentences? Heh. 

Different approach for him.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #318 on: April 06, 2023, 02:01:05 AM »

"Bret Hart Complains Again, Says He Can’t Watch Wrestling Because It’s ‘Too Phony’"

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/bret-hart-complains-again-says-he-cant-watch-wrestling-because-its-too-phony

On not being able to watch wrestling today: “The old kind of wrestling is sorely missed by a lot of people. If the old wrestling was around, like my dad’s wrestling, we’d come see it. I’m trying to advise my son Dallas and help him deliver the kind of wrestling show that I would enjoy watching where the wrestlers actually know what a headlock is rather than doing the scripted ballet and leaping, twirling, and dancing around like a bunch of ballet dancers. I don’t really enjoy today’s wrestling for those reasons. They’ve lost a lot of steps towards the reality and credibility of wrestling.

“Wrestling, in my opinion, needs to pretend to be real. It always has pretended really hard, almost to the point that you believe it is real. Wrestling is so far fetched today. When I think of WWE and see 20 wrestlers crowded together outside on the floor and someone dives over the top rope and knocks them all down like bowling pins, I roll my eyes at how pathetic wrestling is today. Top to bottom, all the top wrestlers and all the middle bottom wrestlers in WWE and AEW, all slapping their leg on every punch and slap. It’s to the point where I can’t watch wrestling today. Sadly, it’s getting too phony. I really question the direction that the people that are in charge are taking wrestling. AEW has gone in a bad direction with all the violence and gore. I watched an episode, Dr. Martha Hart doing her big press conference, I’m watching AEW and [Jon Moxley] is sticking a fork in somebody’s head for five minutes with a close-up. This isn’t wrestling. I would recommend turning all that off and not watching because it’s not very good. Wrestling is going in bad directions because people don’t know what wrestling is or was.”
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Games  |  Fame or Shame: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.