Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:13:34 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Games  |  Fame or Shame: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Author Topic: Fame or Shame: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread  (Read 159650 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »

RVD was tremendously misused. It was largely this misuse that lead many to start to see him as a less valuable performer than perhaps he was. He was super-over with the fans in 2001 and should have won the world title at that time IMO but because he was a little reckless in and out of the ring, it never happened. When it finally did happen five long years later, it was really too late and of course RVD proved WWE's fears founded with the drug (weed) possession. TNA seems a bit more lenient in that regard so RVD may fare better there.

Owen could very well be right up there with Edge if he was still around although I suspect his career would have perhaps looked a bit more like Christian's in reality. Then again, you never know...he could have been rewarded for being so willing to help build others with a World title at some point.

Harlem Heat were a good team (they had great matches with Faces of Fear, Nasty Boys, Outsiders & Steiners in particular) but they did seem to get sidetracked way too much with horrible WCW storylines.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 02:58:15 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »

The British Bulldogs join the Tag Team Hall of Fame. Davey Boy Smith and the Dynamite Kid were a pair of cousins who decided to team up in the 1980s in England. At first the two would come to feud in England, Japan and Stampede but when that was settled, they created their very successful high-flying, hard-hitting tandem. Later they moved their team to New Japan Pro Wrestling and Stampede Wrestling. Dynamite Kid had a long career in Stampede and competed very successfully overseas for several years before young Davey came on the scene. Dynamite was more experienced plus a true innovator of fast-paced hard-hitting moves very similar to the Japanese style. Davey was young, fresh, full of power and could move incredibly well for a man his size. The pairing with Dynamite was a natural and a tag team truly unique and groundbreaking was born. There was never a tag team quite like the Bulldogs who moved so fluidly and fast paced together, who could hit singles and double team moves so effectively and with so hard-hitting a punch and impact all at once. The Bulldogs moved to All-Japan Pro Wrestling in 1984 and to the WWF in 1985 also when Vince McMahon bought out Stampede Wrestling leading to their long and intense feud/rivalry with the Hart Foundation of Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart.

Following an 85 feud with the Harts, the Bulldogs started pursuing the Dream Team of Brutus Beefcake & Greg Valentine, managed by Johnny V, for the WWF Tag Team Titles, a championship they would win at Wrestlemania 2 in 1986 with their manager Capt. Lou Albano and Ozzy Osbourne in their corner. The Bulldogs thereafter were dominant champions and held off both the Dream Team and former champions The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff until Dynamite Kid seriously injured his back, likely from all the high impact suplexes he delivered over his many years in the ring forcing the Bulldogs to drop the Tag titles to the Hart Foundation, who won along with some help from crooked referee Danny Davis in January 1987. When Dynamite returned, they feuded with Danny Davis & the Hart Foundation and even teamed with Tito Santana in a match against Davis & the Harts at Wrestlemania III. Shortly after this, the Bulldogs would start bringing a bulldog named Mathilda to the ring with them and this would lead to a feud with the Islanders after Bobby Heenan made off with Mathilda. The Bulldogs would compete on the winning team in a 10 team Survivor Series match at Survivor Series 1987 although the final survivors in the match would be the Killer Bees and the Young Stallions. The British Bulldogs thereafter teamed with Koko B. Ware to get some revenge on Bobby Heenan & the Islanders at Wrestlemania IV.

Demolition would successfully defend the belts against the Bulldogs in April 1988 and again at Wrestlefest '88. Legitimate backstage heat would develop between the Bulldogs and the Rougeaus and the two teams would battle to a draw at Summerslam '88. The last Bulldogs WWF appearance would be Survivor Series '88 where the Bulldogs competed on the Powers of Pain winning team but both Bulldogs and Rougeaus were soon gone from the match and the Bulldogs shortly thereafter were gone back to Stampede Wrestling in December 1988, while also competing a bit in All Japan, quickly winning the Stampede tag titles twice and battled the Cuban Commandoes and Karachi Vice's Makhan & Vulkan Singh (Gary Albright) who eventually upended them due to interference from Smith's "cousin" Johnny Smith. After this, a violent feud erupted between Dynamite and Davey with Dynamite eventually teaming with Johnny Smith, forming a new team called the British Bruisers and Davey teaming up with a young Chris Benoit. The Bulldogs also battled the Rock 'n' Roll Express around this time in a special match but the Bulldogs were never truly the same after Dynamite's back injuries and too quick returns to the ring. Davey Boy Smith would go on to have a successful singles career as the British Bulldog while a bitter Dynamite Kid would hate Davey for trademarking the Bulldog name, although he continued the Bruisers tag team for a little while after that, and is today in a wheelchair from all the toil and abuse he put on his body in his wrestling wars.

The Grand Wizard joins the Managers/Valets Hall of Fame. One of the infamous Three Wisemen of the East wrestling managers who spent a long and lengthy career in the WWWF in the 1970s (along with Albano & Blassie) and WWF in the early 1980s, the Grand Wizard seemed a perfect match for many of those he managed. When you first looked at him, he seemed pretty odd what with being a man of small stature dressed in flamboyant sequin jackets, wraparound sunglasses and wearing a jewelled and feathered turban on his head. Still he was usually the voice of many tough, top wrestlers, some of whom weren't so great behind a microphone but the Wizard could converse with the best of 'em and quickly have you believing in the toughness and capabilities of his charges and of course also in his own inherent brilliance. Ernie Roth of course started his career under several other names and identities most notably as Abdullah Faroux, the manager of the infamous and widely hated Original Sheik.

Moving to the WWWF, the Grand Wizard of Wrestling was born and he lead Stan "The Man" Stasiak to an upset WWWF World Title victory over Pedro Morales although Stasiak would lose the title to Bruno Sammartino just nine days later. The Wizard however then came to guide another man, a man who fit with him seemingly like a glove - "Superstar" Billy Graham. Graham of course would eventually defeat Sammartino for the WWWF World Title in 1977. When Bob Backlund would upset Graham for the title in 1978, the Wizard would lead a charge of different men to try and win back the championship including the likes of the Magnificent Muraco, Greg Valentine, Buddy Rose and Ken Patera amongst others against Backlund. Although he would never again manage a world champion, the Wizard did successfully manage several Intercontinental champions including Pat Patterson, Ken Patera and the Magnificent Muraco. The Wizard also managed the likes of Crazy Luke Graham, Killer Kowalski, Sgt. Slaughter, Ernie Ladd, Ox Baker, Cowboy Bob Orton, Tiger Jeet Singh, The Iron Sheik, Greg Valentine, Ivan Koloff, The Masked Superstar, Professor Toru Tanaka, Mr. Fuji, Bobby Duncum, Johnny Barend, Magnificent Maurice, Blackjack Mulligan, Pampero Firpo and Jimmy Valiant taking many of them to World Title opportunities.

Sunny joins the Managers/Valets Hall of Shame. Sunny is perhaps best remembered for being one of the most beautiful ladies involved with WWF wrestling in the 1990s. Her photos at that time were an hot, highly downloaded commodity for many young male fans and WWF quickly discovered fans wanted to see more of Sunny and quickly found ways to exploit her beauty and charm. Sunny of course started out in Smokey Moutain Wrestling as Tammy Fytch, a variation on her real name Tammy Lynn Sytch which she would also use later on. There she managed Brian Lee to the SMW Title, then she joined forces with Chris Candido and lead him & Lee to the SMW Tag Team Titles. In 1994, she fired Lee and lead Candido to the SMW Title in a title tournament.

In 1994, along with Candido, she would debut as Sunny and Skip, a pair that would insult fans and brag about their fitness. In 1995, Sunny would bring in Zip (formerly Tom Prichard) to team with Skip and they would finally win the WWF Tag Team Titles at Wrestlemania XII by defeating the Godwinns who they when thereafter feud with. Phineas Godwinn would become infatuated with Sunny and she would use this to her advantage to manipulate and eventually humiliate him when after seemingly joining the Godwinns as they won the WWF Tag Team Titles back from the BodyDonnas, she would then turn against the Godwinns and join forces with the newly heel Smoking Gunns as a cowgirl sort of girl. The BodyDonnas would bring in a crossdresser manager named Cloudy to feud with Sunny and the Gunns but with little success. Sunny would get her Smoking Gunns World and Intercontinental Title opportunities against Shawn Michaels and Ahmed Johnson but after they failed to make good on those opportunties and they lost the tag titles, Sunny fired the Gunns. She would then manage Farooq as he attempted to win the Intercontinental Title in a tournament after injuring and taking out champion Ahmed Johnson. Farooq would eventually fall short losing to Marc Mero, managed by Sable and Sunny and Farooq would go their separate ways thereafter.

Sunny was the host of Livewire briefly and make scant annoucing appearances after that. She would make a brief stop in ECW managing Triple Threat before returning to WWF in 2000 to manage LOD 2000 briefly leading them to a battle royal tag team win at Wrestlemania XIV. Sunny would eventually fade from the scene and be little more than eye candy on WWF programming.

As Tammy Sytch, she would return to ECW to manage Chris Candido leading to an eventual feud with Lance Storm & Dawn Marie. Sunny & Candido would split with Triple Threat and Shane Douglas shortly before leaving ECW for WCW. However the pair's drug problems were weighing heavy on them. There Tammy would manage Candido to the WCW Cruiserweight Title and Tammy would feud with Paisley and then Daphne, who was managing Crowbar. A drug issue would eventually see them dropped from WCW. After a brief run in XPW and then USA Pro Wrestling leading Candido to the XPW and USA Pro Titles, Tammy essentially retired after Candido's untimely death although she, now hopefully clean, has made a few special appearances in WWE since that time.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:06:43 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »

RVD was tremendously misused. It was largely this misuse that lead many to start to see him as a less valuable performer than perhaps he was. He was super-over with the fans in 2001 and should have won the world title at that time IMO but because he was a little reckless in and out of the ring, it never happened. When it finally did happen five long years later, it was really too late and of course RVD proved WWE's fears founded with the drug (weed) possession. TNA seems a bit more lenient in that regard so RVD may fare better there.

Owen could very well be right up there with Edge if he was still around although I suspect his career would have perhaps looked a bit more like Christian's in reality. Then again, you never know...he could have been rewarded for being so willing to help build others with a World title at some point.

Harlem Heat were a good team (they had great matches with Faces of Fear, Nasty Boys, Outsiders & Steiners in particular) but they did seem to get sidetracked way too much with horrible WCW storylines.
I'm guessing at some point, had Owen not passed, he would've held the belt around 2003/2004.  WWE SmackDown was riding a wave of momentum, featuring great techincal matches with the likes of Edge, Lance Storm, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Shelton Benjamin, Rey Mysterio and Brock Lesnar.  Probably would've had the belt at some point then.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »

The Hardy Boyz join the Tag Team Hall of Shame. Personally I didn't think them too bad as a team. I did find them kind of entertaining although I do have to admit Matt has a certain blandness to him and Jeff is just a freaky daredevil type, the bad boy "artist" type who makes teenage girls swoon, and who seems to take as many risks in his own personal lifestyle as he does in the ring. Out of the teams on the list, I'm not terribly surprised they ended up in the Hall of Shame though. While immensely popular, they just seem to lack something intangible- I'm not sure what- that they just don't entertain me unless matched up with tag teams who are actually superior to them in many ways...teams like the Dudleys, Edge & Christian, MNM. They also seemed to be at their most popular when paired up with Lita. The Hardys won 6 WWF/WWE Tag Team Championships and one WCW Tag title when that was under WWE ownership.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »

The Hardy Boyz join the Tag Team Hall of Shame. Personally I didn't think them too bad as a team. I did find them kind of entertaining although I do have to admit Matt has a certain blandness to him and Jeff is just a freaky daredevil type, the bad boy "artist" type who makes teenage girls swoon, and who seems to take as many risks in his own personal lifestyle as he does in the ring. Out of the teams on the list, I'm not terribly surprised they ended up in the Hall of Shame though. While immensely popular, they just seem to lack something intangible- I'm not sure what- that they just don't entertain me unless matched up with tag teams who are actually superior to them in many ways...teams like the Dudleys, Edge & Christian, MNM. They also seemed to be at their most popular when paired up with Lita. The Hardys won 6 WWF/WWE Tag Team Championships and one WCW Tag title when that was under WWE ownership.
Dudleys don't get enough credit, nor do Edge and Christian.  Dudleys often get frowned upon as one of those "ECW/Blood and guts hardcore guys" and that's it.  They deserve more. 
Edge and Christian got looked down upon as a stupid "Pretty boy/Bill and Ted wannabe" type, but looking back in retrospect, they were quite more, epsecially if you consider their considerable singles success afterwards.

I was never big on the Hardys.  WWF/WWE was HUGE back when I was in high school, and all the teen girls were swooning over the Hardys, cause they were young, good looking guys.  EVERY guy and legit wrestling fan liked teams like The Dudleys better.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2010, 01:37:26 PM »

Sgt. Slaughter joins the Singles Hall of Shame. Now personally I felt he was a great gimmick wrestler who really made said gimmick work well and he seemed to work very hard to get over with fans and put on a good show night after night. I'll never forget how popular he was when he turned babyface to feud with the Iron Sheik. At that time, his popularity rivaled Hogan's.

Slaughter actually started off as a drill instructor style heel and met with moderate success in NWA winning a tag team championship in the NWA with Don Kernodle and holding the NWA's United States title. In the AWA, Slaughter actually at one point worked under a mask as Super Destroyer Mark II. His move to the WWF in the early 80s saw him continue his heelish drill instructor ways as he feuded with a now babyface Pat Patterson resulting in the two having a bloody Alley Street Fight before he later challenged Bob Backlund, while being managed by the Grand Wizard, for the WWF title.

Eventually a pairing with the Anti-American Iron Sheik would ignite a feud between Slaughter and the Sheik as Slaughter embraced his American patriotism. Slaughter at the height of his popularity would leave the WWF over some dispute with Vince McMahon, presumably involving his G.I. Joe action figure, a figure not licensed by WWF. Slaughter would thereafter return to the AWA continuing his patriot role feuding with foreign menaces like Kamala, Boris Zukhov, Col. DeBeers and Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie not to mention having memorable feuds with top heels Nick Bockwinkel and Larry Zbyszko. In the AWA, Slaughter would win the America's title and come very close to capturing both the AWA and NWA world titles but would ultimately come up short.

In 1990, he shockingly returned to the WWF and turned heel Iraqi sympathizer igniting a wave of hatred towards him. He would ride this wave to capture his only WWF World title defeating the Ultimate Warrior with a bit of help from an interfering Randy Savage. Slaughter was extremely hated during this time and it seemed a stretch but eventually an effort was made to return him to his patriot face character but fans didn't take to him in quite the same way after that as he teamed with Hacksaw Duggan against the Nasty Boys. After a run as WWF Commissioner in 1997-1998 that saw him feud unsuccessfully with DX and become a Mr. McMahon lackey, Slaughter eventually started to appear less and less making only occasional surprise guest appearances such as in the Wrestlemania X-7 Gimmick Battle Royal, challenging Chris Masters in a Masterlock challenge, Diva Search appearances, joining fellow veterans to battle the Spirit Squad in a Survivor Series 2006 match,  teaming with Jimmy Snuka to battle Deuce and Domino at 2007's Night of Champions, challenging "Legend Killer" Randy Orton and other sporadic guest spots. Slaughter was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2004.

Captain Lou Albano joins the Managers Hall of Fame. After a somewhat lackluster career as a professional wrestler that saw his biggest success come in a WWWF tag team title win with Tony Altimore, Albano proved a natural as a bombastic, over the top heel manager who played only by his own rules and no one else's. He was an expert at getting fans riled up, making the people want to see him get beat up and teasing that possibly happening to help draw fans to the arenas. One of the three infamous Wisemen of the East, Albano would become renown as a tag team expert. "The Guiding Light" as he was nicknamed led 15 tag teams to WWWF/WWF tag team gold and four others to singles gold. Captain Lou started off managing several heels who threatened WWWF World Heavyweight Champion Bruno Sammartino including Crusher Verdu and Ivan Koloff, who Albano was managing when he shockingly upset Sammartino ending Sammartino's legendary 7+ year reign. Albano would also guide Pat Patterson, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine and The Magnificent Muraco to WWF Intercontinental Title reigns. But where Albano was king was as a tag team guiding light often adopting the gear and mannerisms of his many successful tandems. Albano managed all of the following to WWWF/WWF tag team title reigns: The Mongols, The Yukon Lumberjacks, The Executioners, The Valiant Brothers, The Wild Samoans, The Moondogs, Mr. Fuji & Mr. Saito, The U.S. Express, The British Bulldogs, The Headshrinkers. He also managed the Machines and was hugely instrumental in the 1980s Rock 'n' Wrestling movement managing the Fabulous Moolah against Cyndi Lauper's Wendi Richter not to mention appearing in numerous Lauper music videos.

Jim Cornette joins the Managers Hall of Shame. Cornette actually got his start in wrestling as a ringside photographer. After a brief run an an inept rich boy manager for Sherri Martel, Crusher Bloomfield and Dutch Mantell in Memphis, eventually Cornette would come into his own under the gimmick of a rich Mama's boy who was given the Midnight Express ("Loverboy" Dennis Condrey and "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton) to manage. The pairing would prove a natural as Cornette became the mouth and brains behind the much quieter Southern tandem who generally let their talking be done in the ring while Cornette's loud mouth was a constant distraction outside the ring. Cornette's tennis racket would become instrumental as a weapon of choice for the Midnights to use to win their matches not that they couldn't have won on their own abilities. Cornette would lead the Midnights to a NWA World Tag Team title reign in February 1986 defeating the Rock'n' Roll Express and igniting a feud that would last for decades between the two teams. Eventually "Loverboy" Dennis would be replaced by "Sweet" Stan Lane and the team would go on to win a pair of United States Tag Team titles, most notably feuding with the Fantastics, and eventually another NWA World Tag Team title upsetting Horsemen Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson before dropping the titles to a newly heel Road Warriors in 1988. Cornette was often seconded by a huge bodyguard Big Bubba Rogers (Big Bossman) who he occassionally managed in matches as well. The Midnights also memorably lost a pair of Starrcade scaffold matches to the Road Warriors in 1986, in which Cornette injured his knees in a botched landing, and the Rock 'n' Roll Express in 1987. The Midnights with Jim Cornette would also feud with the Original Midnights of Condrey & Ravishing Randy Rose, managed by Paul E. Dangerously in 1988. Cornette would actually get in the ring to battle Dangerously at this time and seemingly had more success than he did some years prior when he tangled with Baby Doll in the ring.

In 1993 Cornette joined Mr. Fuji as co-manager for WWF Champion Yokozuna. In 1996, he returned as the manager of Camp Cornette including Vader, The British Bulldog and Owen Hart. Bulldog & Hart would win the tag team titles but Cornette failed to lead Vader to a WWF Title win over Shawn Michaels. In 1997, Cornette mainly appeared doing a number of worked shoots about the wrestling industry. In 1998, he led a forgettable NWA invasion stable including Jeff Jarrett, Barry Windham and the Rock 'n' Roll Express. Later he would unveil Bombastic Bob Holly and Bodacious Bart Gunn as his latest Midnight Express creating a collective yawn in the audience. After this, Cornette had brief and forgettable stays in OVW and TNA. Cornette also briefly managed the Briscoe Brothers to ROH Tag Team gold in ROH and is currently working for ROH these days.

The Fabulous Kangaroos join the Tag Team Hall of Fame. The Kangaroos were one of the first teams to truly have that tag team dynamic. They dressed alike in bush hats, the both carried boomerangs to the ring (which they sometimes used in their matches), they were both from "Down Under" (Australia), they had a manager (Wild Red Berry) and their entrance music was "Waltzing Matilda". And they were even more importantly one of the first teams to combine double team boomerang style moves in the ring. It’s a privilege to see footage of this classic duo. These men were absolute masters at what they did. They really seemed to make rulebreaking an art form, nearly provoking riots in some MSG battle with Rocca & Perez, and actually were quite capable in a fan favorite role as well. The Kangaroos won numerous tag team titles wherever they went including Winnepeg, the Northeast U.S. Tag Titles 3 times (precursor to the WWWF Tag Titles), Florida, Japan, Ohio, Vancouver, Detroit, New Mexico, Texas and Los Angeles back when the territories were at their heights. Costello & Heffernan were IMO the best and most entertaining version of the Kangaroos but there were many other versions including Al Costello & Ray St. Clair in Detroit (Won Detroit NWA Tag Titles), Costello & Bulldog Don Kent (won titles in ESA, IWA, NWA-Mid America, WWA and WWC), Don Kent and Bruno Bekkar (WWC) and finally Don Kent & Johnny Heffernan (Florida Tag Titles 4 times, WWC tag titles). At different points in time, the Kangaroos were also managed by "Crybaby" George Cannon and Dudley Clement. The Kangaroos are famed for their battles with the Bastiens, the Millers, Perez & Rocca, Johnny Valentine and a variety of partners including Buddy Rogers and Cowboy Bob Ellis.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 01:46:08 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »

Sgt. Slaughter joins the Singles Hall of Shame. Now personally I felt he was a great gimmick wrestler who really made said gimmick work well and he seemed to work very hard to get over with fans and put on a good show night after night. I'll never forget how popular he was when he turned babyface to feud with the Iron Sheik. At that time, his popularity rivaled Hogan's.

Slaughter actually started off as a drill instructor style heel and met with moderate success in NWA winning a tag team championship in the NWA with Don Kernodle and holding the NWA's United States title. In the AWA, Slaughter actually at one point worked under a mask as Super Destroyer Mark II. His move to the WWF in the early 80s saw him continue his heelish drill instructor ways as he feuded with a now babyface Pat Patterson resulting in the two having a bloody Alley Street Fight before he later challenged Bob Backlund, while being managed by the Grand Wizard, for the WWF title.

Eventually a pairing with the Anti-American Iron Sheik would ignite a feud between Slaughter and the Sheik as Slaughter embraced his American patriotism. Slaughter at the height of his popularity would leave the WWF over some dispute with Vince McMahon, presumably involving his G.I. Joe action figure, a figure not licensed by WWF. Slaughter would thereafter return to the AWA continuing his patriot role feuding with foreign menaces like Kamala, Boris Zukhov, Col. DeBeers and Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie not to mention having memorable feuds with top heels Nick Bockwinkel and Larry Zbyszko. In the AWA, Slaughter would win the America's title and come very close to capturing both the AWA and NWA world titles but would ultimately come up short.

Jim Cornette joins the Managers Hall of Shame. Cornette actually got his start in wrestling as a ringside photographer. After a brief run an an inept rich boy manager for Sherri Martel, Crusher Bloomfield and Dutch Mantell in Memphis, eventually Cornette would come into his own under the gimmick of a rich Mama's boy who was given the Midnight Express ("Loverboy" Dennis Condrey and "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton) to manage. The pairing would prove a natural as Cornette became the mouth and brains behind the much quieter Southern tandem who generally let their talking be done in the ring while Cornette's loud mouth was a constant distraction outside the ring. Cornette's tennis racket would become instrumental as a weapon of choice for the Midnights to use to win their matches not that they couldn't have won on their own abilities. Cornette would lead the Midnights to a NWA World Tag Team title reign in February 1986 defeating the Rock'n' Roll Express and igniting a feud that would last for decades between the two teams. Eventually "Loverboy" Dennis would be replaced by "Sweet" Stan Lane and the team would go on to win a pair of United States Tag Team titles, most notably feuding with the Fantastics, and eventually another NWA World Tag Team title upsetting Horsemen Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson before dropping the titles to a newly heel Road Warriors in 1988. Cornette was often seconded by a huge bodyguard Big Bubba Rogers (Big Bossman) who he occassionally managed in matches as well. The Midnights also memorably lost a pair of Starrcade scaffold matches to the Road Warriors in 1986, in which Cornette injured his knees in a botched landing, and the Rock 'n' Roll Express in 1987. The Midnights with Jim Cornette would also feud with the Original Midnights of Condrey & Ravishing Randy Rose, managed by Paul E. Dangerously in 1988. Cornette would actually get in the ring to battle Dangerously at this time and seemingly had more success than he did some years prior when he tangled with Baby Doll in the ring.

In 1993 Cornette joined Mr. Fuji as co-manager for WWF Champion Yokozuna. In 1996, he returned as the manager of Camp Cornette including Vader, The British Bulldog and Owen Hart. Bulldog & Hart would win the tag team titles but Cornette failed to lead Vader to a WWF Title win over Shawn Michaels. In 1997, Cornette mainly appeared doing a number of worked shoots about the wrestling industry. In 1998, he led a forgettable NWA invasion stable including Jeff Jarrett, Barry Windham and the Rock 'n' Roll Express. Later he would unveil Bombastic Bob Holly and Bodacious Bart Gunn as his latest Midnight Express creating a collective yawn in the audience. After this, Cornette had brief and forgettable stays in OVW and TNA. Cornette also briefly managed the Briscoe Brothers to ROH Tag Team gold in ROH and is currently working for ROH these days.

Always found Cornette to be a tad boring.  I dunno.

I liked Sarge to a degree.  He played his role well, but compared to some other wrestlers of the time (Savage, Hogan, Piper, Million Dollar Man), I never appreciated him as much.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2010, 01:59:17 PM »

Brock Lesnar joins the Singles Hall of Shame. On the surface, Lesnar should have had it all in pro wrestling and in many respects he did achieve far more than anyone expected very, very quickly. Perhaps too quickly in fact. Lesnar, unlike most wrestlers before him, never seemed to fully pay his dues - he was just handed the world in wrestling only for him to betray those who handed it all to him in some respects as he never seemed fully and truly committed to professional wrestling and instead dreamed of football and MMA.

In wrestling, Lesnar debuted in OVW where he held the OVW tag team titles on 3 occasions with Shelton Benjamin. He would be called up to WWE in 2001, and with Paul Heyman as his manager, he would soon be hailed as "The Next Big Thing" as he attacked and destroyed opponent after opponent. In 2002, Lesnar won the King of the Ring tournament and after a short victorious feud with Hulk Hogan, he would upset The Rock for his first WWE Undisputed Championship reign. Lesnar at age 25 became the youngest WWE Champion in history. Lesnar would go on to successfully defend his title against the challenge of the Undertaker and would also fend off Edge. Eventually the Big Show would hand Lesnar his first WWE Title loss and his first WWE defeat as Heyman betrayed Lesnar and joined forces with the Big Show during the match turning Lesnar babyface for the first time. Lesnar would soon thereafter wind up in a feud with new WWE Champion Kurt Angle and would defeat him for the title at Wrestlemania XIX despite a botched shooting star press attempt that saw Lesnar suffer a concussion.

Lesnar would successfully fend off challenges from the Big Show and John Cena but would eventually drop the title back to Angle in a Triple threat match that also involved Big Show. This lead to a Summerslam match between Angle and Lesnar that saw Lesnar turn heel but Angle successfully defended his title. However in an Iron Man rematch on WWE Smackdown, Lesnar pulled out all the stops, and made much use of a chair, to defeat Angle and win his third WWE Title. Lesnar thereafter successfully fended off challenges from the Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit and Hardcore Holly.  Also at the Royal Rumble 2004, Lesnar attacked Goldberg. Goldberg would get some revenge at No Way Out 2004 proving a distraction that allowed Eddie Guerrero to upset Lesnar for the WWE title.  This lead to the infamous Goldberg-Brock Lesnar match at Wrestlemania XX where fans weren't at all pleased with either wrestler as both men were on their way out of wrestling and the fans cheered special referee Steve Austin much more than either Lesnar, who was heading off for a potential football career, or Goldberg, who was headed into MMA. The fans loudly cheered with Austin stunned both men after Goldberg defeated Lesnar in the bout.

Lesnar next surfaced in New Japan Pro Wrestling, after a failed attempt at a football career, where he would win the IWGP Heavyweight Title in a three way bout with Masahiro Chono and Kazuyuki Fujita. Lesnar successfully defended said title against  Shinsuke Nakamura, Akebono and Giant Bernard (formerely A-Train) before he was stripped off the title due to "visa issues". Actually WWE had put a number of court injuctions in to stop Lesnar from competing in New Japan as WWE still held rights to Lesnar's name and holds. On June 29, 2007, Lesnar defended his "disputed" IWGP championship against TNA Champion Kurt Angle, a match Angle won and then made claim to the IWGP title as well. Lesnar had also signed a no compete clause with WWE upon his departure in 2004 that was supposed to keep him from competing for rivals until 2010. However a court settlement was reached in 2006 and Lesnar eventually moved into the world of MMA where he's had great success in UFC.

Paul E. Dangerously joins the Managers Hall of Shame. Dangerously's early career path in professional wrestling is very similar to that of his long-time rival Jim Cornette. He too started off as a photographer. Eventually he would be drawn into the world of wrestling as a ringside manager, portraying an Ivy League New York yuppie who also called a mobile phone, which would often be used a foreign object in matches. After a brief stint in the Northeast, Dangerously won move to Florida where he teamed up with Kevin Sullivan and Sir Oliver Humperdinck. Shortly after he moved to Memphis and his most high profile feud as he managed Tommy Rich and Austin Idol against beloved Memphis hero Jerry "The King" Lawler, a feud that would see Idol and Rich humilate Lawler by shaving his head and injuring him on the turnposts. Dangerously also had a brief run in Continental as an associate of Eddie Gilbert and his Hotstuff Inc.. Eventually Dangerously, along with his newest charges the Original Midnight Express of "Loverboy" Dennis Condrey and "Ravishing" Randy Rose would move to the AWA along with Idol and another new charge in new arrival "Adorable" Adrian Adonis. Lawler would continue his feud with Dangerously there as Dangerously would lead his Original Midnights to an AWA Tag Team Title reign by defeating Lawler and Bill Dundee before eventually dropping the titles to a newly returned to AWA Midnight Rockers of Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty.

Dangerously and the Original Midnights would later move to the NWA in 1988 to feud with Jim Cornette and his version of the Midnight Express along with Jack Victory and Mean Mark (later he would become The Undertaker). After losing said feud and several matches to Cornette, Dangerously moved into an annouce position alongside Jim Ross which would eventually see him feud with Missy Hyatt. In 1991, he would return in managing with The Dangerous Alliance, a powerful group of talented wrestlers that included "Ravishing" Rick Rude, TV champion "Stunning" Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton and Larry Zbsyzko along with lady wrestler Madusa as Dangerously's back-up and bodyguard. Under Dangerously's group, Rude would capture the United States title and Anderson & Eaton the WCW Tag Titles. The Dangerous Alliance would remain a dominate force throughout 1992 feuding with Sting, Nikita Koloff, Ricky Steamboat, Barry Windham, Dustin Rhodes and the Steiners. Eventually after the group disbanded in 92, Dangerously would leave WCW.

Dangerously would move to ECW in 1993 managing Sabu, 911, Taz and the Dark Patriot. Behind the scenes, Dangerously (Paul Heyman) joined forces with Tod Gordon to help the company advance to a new level as head booker and head of creative. Eventually Heyman would become sole owner of ECW and the whole operation would essentially be run by him behind the scenes as the company presented a new cutting edge, more adult oriented no rules, no holds barred style product. It achieved a lot of popularity but eventually would fold because Heyman could not compete with salaries offered elsewhere. Heyman would move on to WWE as an annoucer in 2001 replacing a recently departed Jerry Lawler and eventually joined the ECW/WCW Alliance during the Invasion angle. After that fizzled out, he became manager of Brock Lesnar in 2002 and then the Big Show after betraying Lesnar before moving into a GM role on Smackdown in 2003-2004. In 2004, Heyman moved on to managing the Dudley Boyz and Heidenreich. With the revival of ECW in 2006, Heyman went on to briefly manage Rob Van Dam before betraying him to once again manage the Big Show. He also briefly managed Nathan Jones and Matt Morgan in WWE.  Heyman left wrestling in 2006 in dispute over the way WWE was running ECW at the time.  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:13:59 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2010, 09:03:10 PM »

I quite liked Lesnar, and felt he was great in what he contributed.  A lot of wrestling fans felt betrayed he was leaving, but from what I read about his life, he seems the kinda guy that strives to be the best at what he does, going back to his amateur career in college.  Then he was handed the world in WWE and got bored.  I don't blame him for moving on.  Should've dangled that carrot in front of him for a while.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 06:51:18 PM »

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat joins the Singles Hall of Fame. After a long battle in the game, the Dragon battled back from the brink of defeat to win the day rather like a lot of his epic matches and feuds if you really think about it. Steamboat was initially billed as the son of old-time wrestler Sam Steamboat. Actually there's no relation and of the two, Ricky is by far now the more widely remembered. In his 1976 debut in the AWA, he wrestled though as Sam Steamboat Jr.. He would move from there to Florida to Georgia and would finally start to come into his stride in the NWA territories. Initially in Mid-Atlantic, he was billed as a soft-spoken protege of Wahoo McDaniel who pulled off a stunning upset over young TV champion Ric Flair. Steamboat would go on to hold three more United States titles, 6 NWA World Tag Team Titles (5 with Jay Youngblood and 1 with Paul Jones), another TV title and several more championships in Mid-Atlantic including the Mid-Atlantic versions of the tag and heavyweight titles. During this era from 1977-1985, Steamboat would feud with Flair, team and then feud with Paul Jones, feud as a team with Youngblood against Sgt. Slaughter & Don Kernodle and Jack & Jerry Brisco, have an emotional feud against Wahoo and finally battle Tully Blanchard over the TV title.

In 1985, Steamboat moved to the WWF and first embraced "The Dragon" Martial Arts gimmick, a sort of wrestling version of Bruce Lee. Steamboat would go on to defeat Matt Borne at the first Wrestlemania before feuding with the Magnificent Muraco and his manager Mr. Fuji. Steamboat would defeat Hercules at Wrestlemania II. Shortly thereafter he was attacked by Jake "The Snake" Roberts starting a feud between the two seeing them tangle in a pair of "Snake Pit" matches. Eventually Steamboat would bring a komodo dragon to the ring to counteract Roberts' snake. Following this Steamboat would receive a shot at Randy Savage's Intercontinental title in a bout that would see Savage injure Steamboat's larynx with a ring bell starting one of wrestling's most bitter feuds. After a struggle to return from injury, Steamboat finally gained a measure of revenge by defeating Savage in an epic match at Wrestlemania III, still widely considered by many to be one of Wrestlemania's best matches ever. Shortly thereafter Steamboat would shockingly drop the I-C title to the Honky Tonk Man. Actually this was a type of punishment for requesting time off to see the birth of his son just as his I-C Title reign was supposed to be taking off. Steamboat would go on to defeat Rick Rude at the first Royal Rumble before losing to Greg Valentine in the Wrestlemania IV World Title tournament's first round. He then annouced his retirement from wrestling.

Steamboat would next resurface in the NWA in 1989 and would have what would arguably be the greatest year of his entire career. Steamboat initially returned as a surprise partner for Eddie Gilbert in a bout against Ric Flair and Barry Windham in January. By February, Steamboat was set to face Flair for the NWA World Title at Chi-Town Rumble '89 where he would defeat Flair for his first NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Steamboat would go on to successfully defend the title against All-Japan's Tiger Mask II and in rematches with Flair, most notably a controversial win in an epic, grueling 50+ minute match at Clash of the Champions VI. This would set-up an eventual rematch between the two to settle the feud and decide the rivalry. Flair would regain the title in that match and turn babyface shortly thereafter shaking Steamboat's hand and being attacked by ringside judge Terry Funk. Steamboat went on to briefly feud with U.S. Champion Lex Luger before returning to the WWF in 1991.

Steamboat's second WWF run had basically reduced him to a fire-breathing gimmick and ignored all his celebrated history. Not surprisingly, his second run there proved forgettable and short-lived, his most high profile match being a Summerslam '91 six-man tag with British Bulldog & Kerry Von Erich against Warlord, Hercules & Paul Roma.

Steamboat once again returned to WCW in November 1991 in big fashion teaming with Dustin Rhodes to defeat the Enforcers (Arn Anderson & Larry Zbyszko) to win NWA Tag gold. After dropping the titles to Anderson & Bobby Eaton, Steamboat would go on to feud with the Dangerous Alliance and primarily U.S. Champ Rick Rude. While Steamboat would fail to get the title away from Rude at SuperBrawl II, he gained a measure of revenge by winning a non-title Iron Man Challenge at Beach Blast 92. Steamboat would later go on to defeat "Stunning" Steve Austin for yet another TV title, this time under the WCW banner. Steamboat would eventually lose said title to Scott Steiner but would team with Shane Douglas to win another WCW Tag title by defeating Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes. Eventually the Hollywood Blondes (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) would upend Douglas & Steamboat for the titles. Steamboat would go on to win yet another TV title at a Clash of the Champions, this time defeating "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff. Eventually Lord Steven Regal would defeat Steamboat for the title and the two would battle to a draw in a memorable rematch. Steamboat would thereafter once again challenge Ric Flair for the WCW World Title coming very close to victory on a number of occasions, even seeing the title briefly held up following Spring Stampede 1994 but ultimately Flair, with a bit of help from U.S. champion "Stunning" Steve Austin would hold on to the title. Steamboat thereafter would set his sights on Austin and would defeat Austin for the United States title on a Clash of the Champions after failing to do so at Bash at the Beach 1994. However in that match, Steamboat seriously injured his back and had to retire from wrestling. Following this, Steamboat started to take on a behind the scenes role and made occasional guest appearances for TNA and ROH. In ROH, he had a series of confrontations with C.M. Punk that eventually encouraged Punk to become the better man he could be turning him babyface in the process after a long heel run. Now Steamboat works for WWE behind the scenes as a road agent and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2009 which saw him also briefly return to the ring in surprisingly impressive fashion against Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania XXV and Backlash 2009. Steamboat also teamed with his son, now an aspiring wrestler, in Puerto Rico in 2009.

Pretty Wonderful joins the Tag Team Hall of Shame. "Pretty" Paul Roma and "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff formed a surprisingly successful tandem in WCW in the early 1990s (1993-1994). Roma was certainly no stranger to tag teams having previously teamed with Jimmy Powers, Hercules and Arn Anderson before forming his arguably most successful pairing with Orndorff. Roma joined forced with Orndorff after turning on his former Horsemen partners and Erik Watts. Mostly Orndorff & Roma would feud with the Stars N' Stripes team of Marcus Alexander Bagwell and the Patriot. They would win their first WCW Tag Team Title by defeating Cactus Jack & Kevin Sullivan whom they had attacked and "injured" on a previous occasion. Next they successfully fended off the challenge of the Nasty Boys before finally dropping the titles to Bagwell & Patriot. At Halloween Havoc 1994, Pretty Wonderful would regain the Tag Titles with Roma nailed Bagwell with a tag belt. At Clash of the Champions XXIX, Pretty Wonderful put their titles on the line in one final shot for Bagwell & Patriot with Patriot's mask also on the line. Patriot & Bagwell would regain the titles in a controversial double pin situation. Shortly thereafter Roma would return to being enhancement talent before being fired less than 3 months later while Orndorff would continue his singles career until the end of 95 when injury cut his career short.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:01:32 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »

Sting joins the Singles Hall of Fame. Sting (Steve Borden) and fellow trainee under Rick Bassman & Red Bastien Jim Hellwig (would go to be the Ultimate Warrior) started off as a young powerhouse tag team named Powerteam USA. When that failed to go over, they turned heel and became The Blade Runners Sting & Rock in CWA & UWF patterning themselves, makeup and all off of characters in the film (makeup patterned after Daryl Hannah's character for example). After failing to really gain much success, Rock left for World Class where he became the Dingo Warrior while Sting continued on in the UWF joining Hotstuff & Hyatt Inc. forming a successful stable with "Hotstuff" Eddie Gilbert & Rick Steiner. He & Gilbert would win two UWF tag team titles and Sting would also win one with Rick Steiner. After the team split, Sting eventually turned face after Gilbert turned on him and helped Terry Taylor win a match against him. Shortly thereafter he would team up with "Gentleman" Chris Adams to feud with Taylor & Gilbert before the UWF would be purchased and merged with the NWA in late 1987.

Sting would go on to be a promising bright young star in the NWA and first gained real notice when he battled NWA World heavyweight champion Ric Flair to a 45 minute draw at the first ever Clash of the Champions aired on TBS live. Actually Sting seemed to battle to draws, DDQs or his opponents would intentionally get themselves DQed to retain their titles in big matches constantly throughout 87 and 88 with the Stinger coming to the near brink of convincing victory time and time again. It helped build him into a huge fan favourite people wanted to see win that big match for the NWA World Title or any title for that matter. Sting would finally capture that title in the form of the NWA Television Title which he won from Mike Rotundo. Sting would go on to successfully defend the title against a variety of challengers, even defeating the Iron Sheik at one point, before finally losing the title to the Great Muta in controversial fashion. This would eventually set up a feud that would see Sting team with old rival Ric Flair against Muta & Terry Funk. Sting would even join a fan friendly version of the Four Horsemen at this time. It wouldn't last however when Sting would be named # 1 contender for Flair's World Title. Inevitably the Horsemen attacked and injured Sting (Borden actually did have a legit knee injury at the time). Sting would eventually return from injury after inspiring long time friend/tag partner Lex Luger, whom he won the Crockett Cup Tag Tournament with in 1988, to challenge Flair for the title. Luger would come up short but Sting sure wouldn't when he finally got his opportunity at the Great American Bash 1990. There Sting would win his first NWA World Title. Sting would go on to defend the World Title in a much more cartoonish NWA in 1990 that saw his main challengers be Sid Vicious and Ric Flair from a newly reformed Four Horsemen and even saw Flair (and actually others too) masquerade under a mask as the Black Scorpion not to mention Horseman Barry Windham dressing up like Sting to try and help Vicious win the World Title. Eventually shortly after being unmasked the Black Scorpion, Flair would regain the World Title from Sting in a rematch from Starrcade 1990.

In 1991, with WCW having seceded from the NWA, Sting would go on to feud with Nikita Koloff and team with Lex Luger, most notably having a terrific match vs. the Steiners. Sting would go on to defeat Steve Austin in a tournament to crown a new United States champion. Sting would go on to feud with the Dangerous Alliance and a newly turned heel WCW World Champion Lex Luger who now saw Sting, and rightfully so, as a threat. Sting would go on to defeat Luger for the WCW World Title in 1992. Eventually after successfully winning his feud with the Dangerous Alliance, Sting would go on to face an imposing new threat in the massive 450 pound Big Van Vader who would defeat Sting for the WCW World Title injuring him in the process. When Sting returned he successfully fended off challenges from Cactus Jack, Abdullah the Butcher and Jake Roberts. Eventually Sting would gain a measure of revenge regaining the WCW World Title in England from Vader but it was short-lived as Vader regained the title six days later in Ireland. Sting would go on to team with Davey Boy Smith against Sid Vicious and Vader and feuding with Ravishing Rick Rude. Sting would win the WCW International World Title around this time in a match with Vader after Rude was injured in a match with Sting in Japan. Ric Flair, newly returned to WCW and having defeated Vader for the WCW World Title at Starrcade '93 would turn heel and go on to defeat Sting to unify the International Title and the WCW World Title. Sting shortly thereafter would team up with Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage throughout the rest of 94 and 95 as they faced challenges from the Dungeon of Doom and the Three Faces of Fear. Sting would win another U.S. Title at this time from Meng. In late 95, Sting would go on to have a personal war with Flair and yet another reformed Four Horsemen this time teaming Chris Benoit & Brian Pillman with Arn Anderson & Flair. Lex Luger would eventually get involved as well and eventually would team with Sting to win the WCW Tag Titles from Harlem Heat. After the NWO formed in 1996 and Sting was labeled a traitor due to an Impostor Sting posing as him as part of the NWO, Sting would take on his now more familiar Crow-like persona watching the NWO from the rafters, as they assaulted wrestler after wrestler in brutal gang attacks, just waiting for a chance to strike armed only with a baseball bat. After an incredibly long build-up, Sting and Hollywood Hogan was the match to watch at Starrcade'97. Unfortunately the match proved a disappointment as Sting rather unconvincingly defeated Hogan for the WCW World Title after Bret Hart came out and restarted the match despite Hogan clearly having gotten a successful 3 count victory. Shortly after this, the title would be held up although Sting would shortly thereafter win it again this time from Randy Savage only to lose it back to Savage again a few months later. Sting would go on to become a member of a new fan friendly NWO Wolfpac team that included Kevin Nash, Konnan & Lex Luger. While in this stable, Sting would win yet another WCW Tag title. In 1999, Sting defeated Diamond Dallas Page to win another WCW World Title only to lose the title back to Page again in a 4-way match later that same night. With WCW at death`s door and running out of ideas, they foolishly turned Sting heel to feud with Goldberg and to defeat Hogan for yet another WCW World Title. After a surprisingly memorable feud with Vampiro, Sting would go on to have forgettable feuds with Lex Luger, Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett in a very poor WCW in 2000.

After WCW`s death in 2001, Sting would next resurface in Australia`s WWA in 2002-2003 winning the WWA Title from Lex Luger and making brief appearances in TNA throughout 2003-2005. In 2006, he would officially return to TNA. After a long chase of Jeff Jarrett, and getting sidetracked by a feud with Christian Cage, Sting finally defeated Jarrett for the NWA World Title at Bound For Glory 2006. Sting would go on to feud and team with Abyss, feud with Cage some more, feud briefly with Christopher Daniels and feud with a new arrival in Kurt Angle eventually defeating him at Bound For Glory 2007 for the TNA World Title. In 2008, Sting would shockingly turn heel and form the Main Event Mafia group with Kevin Nash, Kurt Angle, Booker T. and Scott Steiner as they feuded with TNA old time regulars like Samoa Joe, A.J. Style and Daniels. Sting would turn heel to defeat Joe for another TNA World Title at Bound For Glory 2008. Eventually Sting would drop the title to A.J. Styles and fail to regain it. Recently Sting shockingly returned to TNA and once more turned heel joining Team Flair with Styles & Flair to attack Hogan & Abyss. Sting would also brutally attack a new arrival to TNA Rob Van Dam with a baseball bat. Now Sting is poised as a top contender to RVD`s TNA World Title.

I`ll update Jarrett (Shame), Blassie Fame) & D-X (Fame) later.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:13:26 AM by xJaseSFx » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2010, 08:26:46 AM »

For all the successes that WCW had, I'd say Sting is one of the few stars that people associate with the company.  You'd say WCW and people would think Flair and Sting.  In fact, as a kid, I was more a WWF/WWE fan, and ECW fan.  But Sting was one of the FEW wrestlers that had me tune into WCW.  I always wondered what he'd do in WWE, especially back in the late '90s boom.  Hell, even after WWE acquired it, I wanted to see a few matchups, including Sting/HBK, Sting/HHH, Sting/Undertaker, and Sting/Stone Cold.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »

Jeff Jarrett joins the Singles Hall of Shame. Jarrett was up against some stiff competition above as otherwise I think he might just have had a shot at the other Hall. Still many have long argued that Jarrett should have never rose above mid-card status, which was all was thought he could achieve in WWF. However when given a shot in WCW and TNA, Jarrett did work very hard to rise to the occasion and definitely had some great matches as WCW and even moreso NWA World Champion (in TNA).

Jarrett is the son of long-time CWA Nashville, TN area promoter Jerry Jarrett. It would be here Jarrett would first gain recognition. In CWA, Jarrett would win CWA International Tag Titles with Paul Diamond and Pat Tanaka and would also team with Billy Joe Travis to win the AWA Southern Tag Titles. In World Class, Jarrett would win the Light Heavyweight Title, the World Class Tag Titles 3 times with 3 different partners (Kerry Von Erich, Mil Mascaras & Matt Borne). Jarrett would also team with Borne to win 2 USWA Tag Team Titles. This came after Jerry Jarrett purchased WCCW and merged it with the CWA to become the USWA, Jarrett would become one of its top stars having memorable wars with Jerry Lawler, Billy Joe Travis (whom he would later borrow from gimmick-wise a lot I'd argue), the Moondogs and others. He would win the USWA Southern Title 10 times and the USWA Tag Titles 14 different times (mainly teaming with Lawler & Robert Fuller but also in teams with Brian Christopher & Jeff Gaylord). Jarrett would also win the USWA Title on 1 occasion and  the USWA Unified World Title on 3 occasions. Jarrett would eventually send out challenges to WWF stars and would eventually get a chance to take on some WWF stars when WWF started sending some of their younger stars to USWA to get some seasoning in the early 90s.

He'd get even more of a chance in 1993 when he'd move to the WWF himself as "Double J" Jeff Jarrett, under a gimmick persona of a country music star wannabe (similar to the gimmick that had been done by Travis in USWA). Jarrett would be very flashy at this time, and started using his trusty guitar to help him win matches (also rather similar to Honky Tonk Man) and it gained him enough attention he eventually got a shot at the Intercontinental title held by Razor Ramon defeating him for the title at the 1995 Royal Rumble. Jarrett then challenged Diesel for the WWF World Title but came up short in that challenge. Jarrett, after being joined by the Roadie, lost and regained the I-C Title two more times (after the title was held up in a match with Bob Holly and a loss and regaining of the title from Razor Ramon) making him a 3 time I-C Champion. On July 1995, Jarrett lost the I-C Title to Shawn Michaels. After a brief feud with Ahmed Johnson in 1996 that Jarrett lost, he left the WWF in early 1996. Shortly thereafter the Roadie claimed he actually had sung Jarrett's song "With My Baby Tonight" that Jarrett had performed in WWF.

In 1996, Jarrett moved to WCW under a 1 year contract and ended up getting involved in the rivalry between the Four Horsemen and the NWO. Jarrett would eventually side with the Horsemen and even became an Horseman after winning a match with Chris Benoit. Shortly thereafter he would defeat Dean Malenko for the United States Title. However he would eventually wind up in an inner Horseman feud with fellow Horseman Steve "Mongo" McMicheal over McMicheal's wife Debra, a feud that would see Mongo upset Jarrett for the U.S. Title and shortly thereafter Jarrett elected to return to the WWF.

Jarrett returned to the WWF in 1997 and after a brief unsuccessful feud with Undertaker, defeated Barry Windham for the vacant NWA North American Title. Jarrett joined an NWA Invasion stable under Jim Cornette but the whole thing proved so forgettable Jarrett eventually returned to his more familiar Double J gimmick employing Tennessee Lee as his manager and Southern Justice (The Godwinns) as his bodyguards. Eventually the trio would abandon the country music gimmick and become a stable feuding with D-X. Jarrett would lose an Hair vs. Hair match to X-Pac around this time resulting in his long locks being cut short. Eventually Jarrett & the Godwinns would lose the feud to D-X and split. Following a brief forgettable feud with Al Snow, Jarrett would team up with Owen Hart and rehire Debra as the team's manager. Together they won the WWF Tag Team Titles from Ken Shamrock and Big Bossman. After losing the titles to Kane & X-Pac and Owen's tragic accidental fall, Jarrett would go on to defeat the Godfather for yet another Intercontinental Title (which was originally scheduled to go to Owen) in memory and in tribute to his fallen partner. Jarrett would go to win and lose the I-C Title twice more holding it 6 times in total, once even defeating D-Lo Brown (with a bit of help from Debra) for a merged European-Intercontinental title reign. Eventually Jarrett would give the Euopean Title to Mark Henry. He would then go on to have an Andy Kaufman-esque "men are better than women" feud with Chyna over the I-C Title dropping it to her on his way out of WWF in 1999.

Jarrett next resurfaced in WCW, there claiming he was "the Chosen One" (perhaps a reference to his friendship with Vince Russo?) and with the help of Creative Control (The Harris Brothers), he came close to winning the vacant WCW World Title. However Dustin Rhodes interference cost him leading to a brief feud with Rhodes that Jarrett won. Shortly thereafter he set out after Chris Benoit's United States Title, a title he finally won as he reformed a brand new NWO 2000 team consisting of himself, Bret Hart, Kevin Nash & Scott Hall. Jarrett went on to challenge Sid Vicious for the WCW World Title but confusing WCW Commissioner-NWO innner conflicts storylines hampered any success Jarrett might have achieved.

In April 2000, Russo & Eric Bischoff decided to "reboot" WCW and declared all the titles vacant leading to a feud between the established WCW veterans the Millionaires Club and the New Blood. Jarrett joined the New Blood and defeated Diamond Dallas Page for the now vacant WCW World Title. Page would shortly thereafter regain the title only to lose it in an embarrassing tag team match that saw David Arquette win the WCW World Title in a tag match with DDP vs. Jarrett & Bischoff when Arquette pinned Bischoff. Jarrett would later regain the WCW World Title in a 3-way match with Arquette and DDP when Arquette turned on Page. Jarrett would go on to feud with Ric Flair losing and regaining the WCW World Title 2 more times. Jarrett would eventually enter into a controversial feud with Hulk Hogan that would see Jarrett immediately lay down to be pinned by Hogan with Vince Russo coming out to point out that Hogan had refused to job and setting up Jarrett-Booker T. in an official WCW World Title match later that night, a match Booker won. Jarrett would not be signed when WWE purchased WCW and Vince McMahon even declared on the air that Jarrett would be "G Double O Double N Double E" after that last Nitro Raw "crossover" show.

Next Jarrett in 2002 would compete in Australia and Europe for the WWA winning the WWA title only to be later stripped of the title. In 2003, while in his first NWA World Title reign, Jarrett returned to WWA to defeat Sting to unify the NWA and WWA World Titles.

With his father Jerry Jarrett, Jeff would help form TNA. Initially in 2004, TNA ran a weekly PPV format. After a long chase for the title and getting sidetracked by feuds with Scott Hall, Brian Lawler and B.G. James (formerly Roadie), Jarrett finally defeated Ron "The Truth" Killings (R-Truth) for the NWA World Title in November 2002. Jarrett would go on to feud with Vince Russo and his SEX (Sports Entertainment Extreme) group and also with Raven. Eventually Jarrett would drop the NWA World Title to A.J. Styles in a 3-way match that also included Raven. Jarrett would eventually regain the title from Styles on October 2003 but would also turn heel in the process. Styles however would regain the title from Jarrett on Apirl 2004 inside a steel cage. Shortly thereafter Jarrett would help Killings defeat Styles for the NWA Title and would regain it himself in a five-man King of the Mountain match held on June 2004. Jarrett however would continue to be plagued by Styles who would again defeat him for the title on May 2005. Jarrett would win his fourth NWA World Title from Raven and form an alliance with America's Most Wanted and Gail Kim. Jarrett would go on to briefly lose and regain the NWA World Title from Rhino before finally losing it to Christian Cage in February 2006.

Shortly after this, Jarrett would enter into a feud with Sting and would go on to once more regain the NWA World Title (for the 6th time) in another King of the Mountain match. After a long climb and getting sidetracked with feuds with Christian Cage and an unwanted partnership with Samoa Joe against Jarrett and Scott Steiner, Sting finally defeated Jarrett for the NWA World Title at Bound For Glory 2006.

Following his wife's illness, Jarrett left TNA to be with his wife. Jarrett briefly returned in 2007 to align himself with Samoa Joe against A.J. Styles. Eventually he would turn face and briefly feud with Robert Roode, a feud that Roode would essentially win before Jarrett left once again. In 2008, Jarrett once more returned to aid Samoa Joe in his wars for the TNA World Title against Christian Cage, Kurt Angle and Booker T. Meanwhile Sting would begin aiding Booker and would eventually form the Main Event Mafia. Jarrett would finally return at Bound For Glory 2008 to successfully defeat Kurt Angle leading to a long, personal war between the two. Jarrett would next end up in another personal war with Eric Young while also getting involved in the politics surrounding Mick Foley's TNA World Title run. With Hulk Hogan coming to TNA in 2010, Jarrett has surprisingly been high in Hogan's graces so far even becoming a member of Team Hogan and has recently entered into yet another feud with the now heelish Sting.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:48:19 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »

Classy Freddie Blassie joins the Managers Hall of Fame. "Listen up, You pencil neck geeks!!!" You better believe Blassie is in the Hall of Fame. What else should we expect from such a fine, refined classy individual as "The Hollywood Fashion Plate" Freddie Blassie?

Not that Blassie was always quite so classy. In fact, Blassie started wrestling at carnival sideshows sometimes even competing in shoot matches. After serving in the navy during World War II, Blassie returned to wrestling as Sailor Fred Blassie but that gimmick failed to get over. However he bleached his hair, sharpened his teeth into fangs and moved to the Georgia territory where he became a full fledged heel for the first time and even earned the nickname "The Vampire" for biting his opponents. While there he captured the Georgia Southern Heavyweight Title.

He later moved to the WWA and California. Here Blassie would become one of wrestling's truly most hated men (even having to be escorted to the ring by police guards) as he feuded with men like The Destroyer, Edouard Carpentier, Lou Thesz and Lord James Blears. He defeated Carpentier for the WWA Title in 1961 and successfully defended it against NWA World Champion Lou Thesz. While wrestling Blears, Blassie actually had acid thrown on his back by an enraged fan. Blassie would win another WWA Title from Japan legend Rikidozan (in matches so brutal and bloody wrestling lore and legend has it several people watching in Japan were so terrified they had heart attacks) only to lose it to the Destroyer. He'd get it back again. In 1963, he lost the WWA Title to Bearcat Wright, one of the first African American to hold such a major title. Once more he'd regain the title only to lose it to Dick the Bruiser before heading to the WWWF.

In 1964, Blassie arrived in the WWWF to challenge Bruno Sammartino and feud with Bobo Brazil. Blassie ultimately failed to upend Bruno and also later Pedro Morales when he made a brief return in 1971 managed by Capt. Lou Albano.

He returned to the WWA in 1968 and somehow became a fan favourite when fans suddenly started cheering his wild and outrageous in-ring antics leading to feuds with the Sheik, "The Golden Greek" John Tolos and Rocky Johnson. In 1974, Blassie retired from wrestling as an active competitor due to a California law that prevented anyone over 55 from wrestling. Blassie thereafter became "Classy" Freddie Blassie, one of wrestling's most colorful managers as one of the notorious Three Wise Men of the East along with The Grand Wizard and Capt. Lou Albano.

Blassie would manage a wide variety of wrestlers most often foreign menaces or over the top wild men style characters. Amongst the wrestlers he managed were Waldo Von Erich, Mr. Fuji, Prof. Toru Tanaka, George "The Animal" Steele, Spiros Arion, Baron Von Raschke, Stan Hansen, The Wolfman, Ivan Koloff, Baron Scicluna, Skandor Akbar, Louis Cyr, Bad News Allen, Mr. Saito, Tiger Chung Lee, "High Chief" Peter Maivia, Crusher Jerry Blackwell, a young heel Hulk Hogan, Victor Rivera, Swede Hanson, Killer Khan, Blackjack Mulligan, "Crippler" Ray Stevens, Dick Murdoch, Kamala, King Kong Bundy, Big John Studd, Hercules, Jesse Ventura, Adrian Adonis, Nikolai Volkoff and the Iron Sheik. Blassie even managed Muhammed Ali when he faced Antonio Inoki in a wrestler vs. boxer match in Japan. Blassie of course would be well known for managing the Iron Sheik to his WWF World Title upset win over Bob Backlund and managing Sheik and Volkoff to a WWF Tag Team Title win over the U.S. Express managed by Capt. Lou Albano.

Of course Blassie would be well remembered in the entertainment media for his many projects outside of wrestling and guest appearances on late night talk shows often frightening Regis Philbin. He appeared with Andy Kaufman in My Breakfast with Blassie (1983) and in the film When Nature Calls (1985) as a psychiatrist. In also appeared in Body Slam (1986) and made an appearance on Late Night with David Letterman in 1983. He even appeared in an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show in 1962 as himself.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2010, 05:29:46 PM »

DeGeneration X joins the Tag Team Hall of Fame. Initially D-X started out as an alliance formed between fellow heels Triple H, seconded by Chyna, and Shawn Michaels. They would add Rick Rude as "Insurance Policy" basically to run outside the ring interference for them as they battled the Undertaker, Ken Shamrock and feuded with Bret Hart, the British Bulldog and other members of the Hart Foundation not to mention humilating, embarrassing and infuriating WWF authority figures like Vince McMahon and WWF Commissioner Sgt. Slaughter. When Bret left following the Montreal screwjob, it left Owen to basically battle D-X on his own. Eventually Shawn would be WWF World Champion while Triple H was European Champion, a title Michaels laid down to give to Triple H. Triple H would trade said championship with Owen Hart in early 1998 while HBK would get more immersed in his upcoming Wrestlemania XIV match with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Of course HBK would retire from WWF following his loss to Austin until 2002 due to a back injury.

Following HBK's departure, HHH asserted leadership over a new D-X group consisting of X-Pac, the New Age Outlaws and Chyna. While initially heels, they proved so popular, they eventually became fan favourites and had memorable feuds with the Nation lead by the Rock and later Vince McMahon's Corporation. in 1998, D-X would feud with former leader Shawn Michaels who was now WWF Commissioner and eventually also part of the Corporation. Eventually though HBK would be lured back into D-X only for D-X to turn on him and declare "What goes around comes around". Eventually though members of D-X were lured into the Corporation including Chyna and Triple H leaving the group reduced to X-Pac and the Outlaws. Around this time, X-Pac would team with Kane to win the WWF Tag Titles and Kane would also become associated with the group. However Billy Gunn would become frustrated with X-Pac and Kane holding what he considered to be his tag team championships and turned on the group reducing them to just X-Pac and Road Dogg.

In late 1999 however the group reformed against the now top faces of The Rock and Stone Cold and also feuded with Kane who the group turned against and X-Pac even stole Kane's "girlfriend" Tori who became a member of D-X. When Triple H married Stephanie McMahon, she was also become associated with the group. At this time, the group basically backed up WWF World Champion Triple H in 2000. However Billy Gunn eventually left the group and Road Dogg & X-Pac became a team once more. However X-Pac & Road Dogg never really succeeded and the team eventually fell apart eventually leaving Triple H as a solo star. They would briefly reunite to battle the newly arriving Radicalz but this would be short-lived.

In 2002, Shawn Michaels suggesting reforming D-X to Triple H and the pair initially came out to their old entrance only for Triple H to turn on Micheals once more more fully establishing himself as a top heel and also leading to a long feud between Triple H and the newly returned HBK.

In 2006, HBK and HHH suddenly started to find themselves the common enemy of Vince McMahon, Shane McMahon and the Spirit Squad and soon reunited as DeGeneration X to fend off the multiple man attacks. They started performing numerous practical jokes on the McMahons and WWE GM Jonathan Coachman at this time. D-X sent the Spirit Squad packing, defeated the McMahons even when they enlisted help from the Big Show and soon entered into a feud with the diabolical Rated RKO pairing of Edge and Randy Orton. Rated RKO held off the challenge of D-X at Cyber Sunday but fell victim to D-X's team (with the Hardys and C.M. Punk) at Survivor Series getting beat 5-0. Next D-X challenged Rated RKO for the World Tag Team Titles at New Year's Revolution but failed to capture them when Triple H suffered a legit quadriceps tear. In 2008, when Triple H was drafted to Raw, D-X had several "one night only" reunion matches successfully defeating Umaga and Snitsky, Lance Cade & Chris Jericho and The Miz & John Morrison. In 2009, when Triple H was drafted back to Raw, they would once again reunite as a team but only after HBK took a long hiatus after losing to the Undertaker at Wrestlemania XXV. Triple H finally succeeded in luring Michaels back to help him in his feud with Randy Orton and his Legacy faction. Following a series of matches against Legacy that eventually saw D-X come out on top, D-X eventually defeated The Big Show and Chris Jericho for the WWE Unified World Tag Team Titles at TLC, their first and only WWE Tag Team Titles (at least for the team of HBK & HHH - The New Age Outlaws won many tag team titles prior to this while a part of D-X). Eventually D-X, with Micheals getting sidetracked with his vendetta with the Undertaker, would lose the tag titles to The Miz and the Big Show. Now that HBK has retired, the team is once more disbanded.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 05:39:15 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Games  |  Fame or Shame: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.