Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:35:16 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Repo! The Genetic Opera « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Repo! The Genetic Opera  (Read 27516 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 04, 2010, 05:24:14 PM »

Reader review by Spazzo.  This is an opera.  The plot is about organ transplants that are repossessed if the owner does not make the payments.  The cast includes Paris Hilton and Andrew Lloyd Webber's ex-wife.  Yes, this is a real film.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:34:25 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »

Overall, I did not enjoy this movie nearly as much as Spazzo.  The premise of a future where organ transplants can be repossessed is quite inspired, and I can even enjoy it being an opera.  My problem was that, quite often, the songs did not flow.  “Zydrate Anatomy,” “Thankless Job,” and “At the Opera Tonight” were memorable exceptions.  Unfortunately, that is only three out of more than fifty different songs.

The song also reminded me of “Les Miserables” on a number of occasions, especially “Thankless Job.”  It’s a weird mix of “Master of the House” and “Dog Eat Dog.”  There was another section that reminded me of “Chess” as well.  I do not make these comparisons just because “Repo!” is an opera and the others are musicals (theater’s kissin’ cousins, so to speak).  I cannot believe that “Les Miserables” did not influence “Thankless Job” in some way.  

The Graverobber is probably my favorite character, because he plays the role of narrator at times and so he does not have to operate entirely inside of the story.  In fact, when Shilo first encounters the Graverobber, he appears to be outside of the story – committing exposition at will without fear of reprisal.  Suddenly, he is obviously completely “there” and it was fun puzzling out what the heck was going on.  His later interaction with “Mistress” Hilton is also quite inspired.

Where the film failed me is that many songs were just the characters attempting to sing their lines, but they are really just talking in tempo.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:15:28 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:34:05 PM »

Where the film failed me is that many songs were just the characters attempting to sing their lines, but they are really just talking in tempo.

Hmm...  I know what you mean Andrew.  I know people who have complained about that.  I personally don't really care, but there are people who do.  I probably should have mentioned it in the review.  Ah well. TongueOut
Scott M.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:24:33 PM »

I find this film mildly entertaining although I admit that it isn't for everyone.  Some of the tunes are downright catchy.  There is only ONE reason that this film sells as well as it does, and that reason is...  NIVEK OGRE from the classic, highly influential industrial rock band, Skinny Puppy.  He really does fit the role of Pavi, but unfortunately he's not in front of the camera enough in my opinion.  
If you troll around the net, you'll find that there is a RABBID audience for this film.  They even go so far as to refer to Ogre as Pavi in real life and I can't tell you how many of them want to sleep with Ogre dressed as Pavi.  The fans (a small, yet hardcore community) are as crazy about this film as the Browncoats are over Firefly.

My other gripe about this film is the audio quality.  I have the soundtrack for Repo and the songs sound fantastic.  In the movie however, the volume levels and mixing are off.  The music volume is too low and the voices are too loud.  While clear, the effect is that they're singing with someone's radio playing in the background sometimes.  Also, the lip sync in some of the scenes isn't very good.

The songs however, I enjoy quite a bit.  I tend to enjoy the soundtrack more than the movie though.

This film is definitely for a SMALL audience.  Most people will think that it's a big steaming pile of trash like most of my mainstream minded friends.  Then again, these friends also hate 2001: A Space Odessey which is my absolute favoritie film ever.  So... "Different Strokes For Different Folks" I guess.
yannick
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:22:20 AM »

Would have been so much better without the opera part. I was really trying to like this movie, the idea behind it was really good, but the opera signing just discouraged me from finishing it.

spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:35:35 AM »

Frankly, the most entertaining thing about this movie is the fact that all three of the Largo children are actually singers/vocalist in bands (or in Paris' case, a one-time, wanna-be pop star). Yep, for those of you who don't know, Bill Mosely is actually in a band called Spider Mountain, and before that, in a band called Cornbugs (while singing in his Choptop persona with famed guitarist Buckethead on axe). I suggest checking them both out. Then there is Nivek Ogre, who is, as previously mentioned, in Skinny Puppy.

These three should get together and make an album together, f-ing hilarious!
Phantazm
New Visitor

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:51:27 PM »

Why do you do this to yourself, Mr. Andrew, sir?

Not that I'm ungrateful, but the human psyche can only stand so much. 

You got farther through this than I did, though.  My dad bought it and sent it to me--evidently I p**sed him off--and I couldn't even take it out of the box!  If B-Masters gave out Bronze Stars, you'd have one with clusters for this.

Jed Siple
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »

I ran into a friend the other day who is a huge fan of Sarah Brightman (classical crossover singer who portrays Blind Mag).  She was going on and on about how brilliant she is and has loved everything she has ever done.  I said, "including Repo! The Genetic Opera?"  She slapped me.  BounceGiggle

Well, whatever it is your not doing, go don't do it somewhere else!
ABArt
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »

My teenage daughter made me sit through this thing! I can't believe I made it all the way through -- or that I let her watch all of it. BTW, Shiloh is played by the same girl who played the female lead in the Spy Kids movies (can't remember her name right now and don't feel like looking it up).
Spanish Girl
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:26 AM »

I love Sarah Brightman.  I just bought this movie sight unseen for an insanely cheap price and I can't wait to see it.

I've heard heaps of good things about it.
DriveInMutant
New Visitor

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:38:06 AM »

Thumbup I love this movie, but I also fully understand that people expecting a straightforward horror film are going to be disappointed. It's a nonstop musical drama with occasional heavy gore played for comedic effect. I really think this movie is best viewed with a large crowd, it takes on a life of it own when a couple hundred people are singing along. This movie also grows on you with time, the songs just get catchier and characters more likable after a second viewing. Try telling me you don't have at least a sliver of one of the songs looping in your head after you finish it.
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 03:44:02 AM »

Whoever thought of this, clearly has seen Rocky Horror way too often. This is no Rocky Horror, but the visuals are nice, it is Paris Hilton's role of a lifetime, Anthony Stewart Head is singing throughout and you've got to love the henchgirls.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
ArmyOfMachines25
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:06:46 AM »

I personaly loved this movie, true its not a straight forward horror flick and people wo expcet one will be a little dissapointed, but if you accept this movie for what it is (that being a dramatic opera with some small elements of horror thrown in) then i think youll enjoy this movie.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »

The concept is pretty good, and the production design is excellent.  If only the script had made a little more sense---and more importantly, if there had been just one memorable song---this would have been a decent flick.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »

I hate this film, someone once said its better than The Rocky Horror Picture Show...blasphemy!  Hatred Thumbdown
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Repo! The Genetic Opera « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.