Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:02:28 AM
712939 Posts in 53041 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Repo! The Genetic Opera « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Repo! The Genetic Opera  (Read 27521 times)
LA2019
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 02:55:05 PM »

I never could stand this film.  I hated the whiny, b***hy (pardon my language, but that's the best adjective for the job), "rebellious" protagonist (how can I take any character seriously after they scream "DADDY'S GIRL'S A F**KING MONSTER!" in a musical number?), the lyrics (some of the most painful, stilted rhymes imaginable in there), the Blade Runner-meets-Batman and Robin visual aesthetic, the redundancy of the comic-book interludes (not that there was anything really wrong with them, but everything that they said ended up being explained shortly after in the narrative proper), the gothiness, and the overwhelming desperately-trying-to-be-a-cult-movie-on-purpose feel to the whole thing.  The only mitigating factors were Luigi Largo, the Grave Robber, and Blind Mag, but they also happened to be the characters who got the least screen time.

The worst part?  I'm planning on starting a science fiction blog, and, eventually, I'll have to watch it again for the review that I'll inevitably have to post.
sticker
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »

holy s**t! YES THIS MOVIE IS AWFUL!!!! can't say that enough. predictable and derivative as all hell...from the direction to the acting and worst of all the music! if you like musicals you should stay away! i do like musicals...certain one's at least and it does appear that this was an attempt to create a modern cult-classic like rocky horror. there is no SAW relation though really unless you are just equating gore with the movies. the songs are bad...lyrics and melody. and yes the forced "singing" of non-melodic filler lines just sums it up. another key indicator is the fact that paris hilton is the feature of the cover/poster art and not the actual main character(s). all around s**t movie and all involved should suffer...horribly.
JavaBlack
New Visitor

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 11:37:45 AM »

I liked this movie.
Some of the lyrics were pretty bad, but I liked the way the songs mixed showy stuff with industrial.  I liked the atmosphere.
The story wasn't well fleshed out and if it wasn't an opera, it would have been horrible.  But it's more about atmosphere and emotion and a bunch of cool scenes than a coherent plot or any of the details thought about for more than five seconds.

I can see how it wasn't for everyone.
But I think it was good for what it was.
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »

My biggest dislike for this movie is the fact that so many fans of it violently trashed Repo Men (which is the far better movie with a similar concept) without even attempting to watch that movie.
OmegaGeek
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 08:50:28 AM »

I'm going to stick up for the music in Repo! because it's some good 90's-sounding goth, and don't forget that this movie grew out of a live show that was performed for years at clubs.

Given the odd way the movie came together, I'm glad it did. It's not for everyone and while I'd love to do my own review, many from the forum I came from already have.

The music though, is part of what makes Repo! unique, although maybe I'm showing my age if that's the part I like the most. :)

HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »

I would only compare this movie to The Wicker Man (there is ONLY the 70s version, the nick cage version went straight to video in a just world) in that it is not a horror, not a comedy, and not a musical/opera. Even though it is made from all these elements it's main ingredient is a heaping dollop of willful WTF (can we get away with?)

It's one of the VERY few things that actually deserve the 'love it or hate it' cliche.

It is not a goth/industrial rock opera any more than Andy Kaufman was a pro-wrestler.

Watch it expecting a grotesque spectacle, not wondering whether or not it's any 'good.'

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »

I liked this film a lot.  Songs weren't 'great' by any means but overall, it's something I'd pop in on dvd on occasion.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Repo! The Genetic Opera « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.