Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:01:05 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  John Carpenter's They live « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: John Carpenter's They live  (Read 6645 times)
Vik
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:46:21 PM »

This is one of the most awesome alien movies I've seen ! Loved it, Carpenter's directing is awesome, this is one of my favourites of his.
Thoughts ?  TeddyR

Small | Large
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:42:20 AM by vik » Logged
Starsky
Bad Movie Lover

you play a good game, boy!

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:32:21 AM »

Through this movie I discovered Roddy Piper, the man is awesome! I highly recommend seeing Hell Comes to frogtown it's hilarious: A story about a guy that has to f**k to save the world (at least that's what it was about for me...).

As far as They live goes, it's awesome! As usual when Carpenter directs the music is brilliant and fits the mood just right, and the acting is excellent. Just take a look:

Small | Large
Vik
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:40:33 AM »

Oh haha, that scene was so awesome  TeddyR
My favourite scene is when goes shoot some aliens at the bank  BounceGiggle
"I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum"
And I'll definately check  Hell Comes to frogtown out.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:07:21 AM by vik » Logged
joejoeherron
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:20:56 AM »

They Live is an awsome movie. I like the fight scene between Piper and Keith David the best. Hell comes to Frogtown is great too.
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »

It is a great movie indeed! It has  a dreamlike state to it.  By the way here is an awesome They Live t-shirt: http://www.fright-rags.com/obey-p-38.html
The same company also has a hoodie with same image.

Yes, I do have the shirt.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Vik
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 01:33:40 AM »

Yeah the fight between Piper and David is an awesome scene  TeddyR I couldn't help but just smile the whole movie. And it's exceptional I love a movie that much  BounceGiggle
Any other movie suggestions of that style ?
 Cheers
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:09:37 AM »

Yeah the fight between Piper and David is an awesome scene  TeddyR I couldn't help but just smile the whole movie. And it's exceptional I love a movie that much  BounceGiggle
Any other movie suggestions of that style ?
 Cheers

I don't know about other movies in that style, but I have yet to see a John Carpenter film that I did not enjoy immensely.

Also, most people I know think the fight scene is boring.  Bluesad

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Vik
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:27:36 AM »

Same, so far I've seen:
Assault on precinct 13
Halloween
The Thing
Big trouble in little China
Prince of Darkness
They live
Escape from LA
And I loved all of them  Twirling
I also bought the Fog on DVD just now
Torgo

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 07:30:45 AM »

I actually saw They Live in theaters back when I was 13 and it originally came out. The movie has aged pretty well considering it's a complete indictment of Reaganomics.

Roddy Piper delivers a surprisingly good performance and Keith David is his usual great self as well.   

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Vik
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »

Roddy Piper delivers a surprisingly good performance and Keith David is his usual great self as well.   
yeah, haha, I love when David says " you dirty motherf*cker " when  Piper tries to hit him in the nuts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:44:15 AM by vik » Logged
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »

yeah, haha, I love when David says " you dirty motherf*cker when " Piper tries to hit him in the nuts.

That whole scene is great. It has a highly improvised feel to it that works like gangbusters.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
justin
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »

I love this movie as well & hope its never remade (seeing as how Hollywood has been remaking some of his classics into total sh*tfests).
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »

I love this movie as well & hope its never remade (seeing as how Hollywood has been remaking some of his classics into total sh*tfests).

I'll provide my usual misanthropy. Yes, it is guaranteed to get a hack remake from Hollywood sooner or later, and it is also guaranteed to make some money, because, if this site is any indication, everyone will complain about how much it's going to suck but they'll to pay to see it anyway.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Vik
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »

I think this might be my personal favourite movie ever. I've seen it three times already. Awesome !
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 12:50:25 AM »

Saw this one on TV just the other day, reminded me how good (or bad) it was.  Some of the alien fighting scenes seemed to be fairly pioneering first-person shooter vision for 1988 (e.g. when they are escaping the cops after the safe-house they go to gets crashed) of course this has been overused so much it's lost all the effect it had back in the day.  I tried to keep track but I think there are a grand total of 2 songs used in the entire movie with the absolute massive bulk of it using a twangy-blues themed music which keeps the mood dark,slow and depressing even during gunfights.  Randy Piper excells at saying only classic one-liners throughout the whole movie and generally limping around like he just got his ass kicked for the bulk of it (which is true for the bulk of the movie, the guys a punching bag, even Holly kicks his ass after giving him the whole "your in control with your guns" shtick and being fairly annoying as far as hostages go). 
Personally, I hate the fight scene mostly because of the pure pointlessness of it.  The 2 main characters spend half an hour kicking eachothers asses over whether or not one of them will put on a pair of sunglasses while there's a planet full of aliens that needs wiped out.  When this came in I knew what I was in for from prior experience so I just went and took care of some chores, came back, they were still fighting, went on and took care of other stuff and checked in every once in a while until they went on to the next part of actual story line.  I know some love the fight scene but to me it just screams "filler".
Interesting thing is that this movie gets described as a parable, in many ways thats true.  The beauty of it is John Carpenter channels our hatred at a consumer world based on greed and dominance at an outside alien force and leaves it to us to question what this means in terms of how we live in our own world.  There's a handful of Christian ideals wrapped up in Hollywood violence.  I was able to see this more this time around than when I watched it as a kid.

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  John Carpenter's They live « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.