Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:43:16 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A bit about me « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A bit about me  (Read 7127 times)
Javakoala
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »

I kinda feel weird posting this as it feels like I'm looking for attention, but I can get that in many different ways, so....

Since I consider this place a second home and the people here more family than my real family, I want to share this, just in case something weird goes on or comes up.

I have been having anxiety and panic attacks at work. I've had them for years at various times, but it was getting bad enough at my current job at the VA that my supervisor (I love this woman--she's a great boss) suggested I get some help because she doesn't want to lose a good employee over something other than my own failings. She directed me to a group of therapists that she uses.

After a few sessions, they have diagnosed me with ADHD, which, looking back over most of my life, explains a whole helluva lot about my life, my issues, my poor work habits, and the crap I dished out to my ex for nearly 15 years. I never understood how I didn't notice things or why, after repeated nag sessions, I'd still forget things, and thousands of other little things over the years.

I'm now starting medication to calm the anxiety as well as medication to deal with the ADHD.  Right now, I am very happy to know that what I thought was just me being a dumbass may not be my fault, and I am so incredibly hopeful this makes me "normal" in that I can function like a human should and hopefully work on the things I love and stay focused long enough to get somewhere with it all. Try not to groan at the thought of my consistently posting new reviews to both Deranged Visions AND to the Bargain Basement Thrills blogs. Hell, I might even get my alphabetical mini-review blog up and functioning. One thing at a time for now and that is to work on these meds and make sure things go right.

I've been telling everyone in my life this. Not that I'm putting responsibility in the hands of others, but point out to me if you notice any changes in my postings, good or bad changes, as I'm sure I'll see changes in how I present myself. I'm hoping they are for the better.

Thank you all for being here, and especially Andrew for creating a home where I am finally not the weirdest person in the room...we ALL are!
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:17:44 PM »

Good for you, buddy!  Thumbup

I know you'll be able to change the things that are causing you grief yet keep the parts that are delightfully weird.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:34:47 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of medication!  It can make a tremendous difference in your life.

Signed, satisfied Nefazodone user since 2002!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:40:40 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of medication!  It can make a tremendous difference in your life.

That's very true.
My doctor prescribed Zoloft to me a couple months ago and I feel pretty good!   Smile
Not 100% like I should, but still good nonetheless. (the depression began with the death of my brother in 2003)

There's nothing wrong with taking medication if it works for you.  Just be aware of possible side effects.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:41:01 AM »

I've got an anxiety disorder myself.  Had it for 9 years before someone correctly diagnosed it  Bluesad  Every time I went into a large public building, I felt dizzy and thought I might pass out.  I finally had a panic attack - thought I was dying of a heart attack.  The doctor at the hospital figured out the source of my weirdness.  Now I take 10 mg of Lexapro every day and I'm almost normal  TeddyR  It took about a month for it to build up in my system and reach its full strength.

Welcome to the club!

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »

Nice to see you're keeping a positive attitude about this!   Thumbup

I know what it can be like, as I also have ADHD.  I have been diagnosed with it as far back as I can remember. 

The medicine is not so bad, it's just getting used to taking it. I have to take 8 pills of 4 different medicines a day. (They're not all for ADHD)

Keep in mind that "normal" is overrated!  TeddyR

Good luck to you!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:10:04 AM »

Zoloft has been my best friend on and off and helped me through many hard times.  As long as you're  under a doctor's care who monitors your conditon, do what ever it takes to help yourself.  Smile

Hold onto your dreams ....
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:46:48 PM »

You people are awesome.  Thank you.

If we ever have a badmovies.org convention, we can all trade meds for a couple of days so we can truly say, "I know how you feel."

Actually, if we do that I just want to have five minutes sitting between Paula and Paquita. I doubt I'd need a drink to feel all warm and fuzzy if that came to pass.

Vik
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 04:51:24 PM »

I'm not on medication, but I'm pretty sure I need it  Buggedout
Good luck !
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »

My best to you, sir.  I know a few people diagnosed with ADHD who take the medication, and they say it makes a huge difference.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 08:50:21 PM »

I take a blood pressure med.  I think that anything that helps people to feel better, live longer, accomplish more, is a good thing. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »

I am finally not the weirdest person in the room...we ALL are!
that made me actually laugh, fair play....

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 06:34:17 AM »

Thank you all for being here, and especially Andrew for creating a home where I am finally not the weirdest person in the room...we ALL are!

Warm hugs to you, Java ~ trust everything will go well with you. Thumbup

I was diagnosed with what my doctor calls 'acute anxiety disorder' last year and was put on medication. The problem is: the medication I'm on gives me violent mood swings and makes me irritable, so I dropped it and am now trying alternative methods to cope with depression and stress. I have to add though: the medication kept me off cigarettes and it will be a year this month that I haven't touched a cigarette.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Javakoala
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »

Warm hugs to you, Java ~ trust everything will go well with you. Thumbup

I was diagnosed with what my doctor calls 'acute anxiety disorder' last year and was put on medication. The problem is: the medication I'm on gives me violent mood swings and makes me irritable, so I dropped it and am now trying alternative methods to cope with depression and stress. I have to add though: the medication kept me off cigarettes and it will be a year this month that I haven't touched a cigarette.  Smile

Excellent, my friend. My parents smoked through my childhood years (and while my mom was pregnant with me) and it is the nastiest habit on the planet. Anyone who quits (and by quitting, I mean never going back to it, not the usual, "I quit dozens of times.") deserves a big hug from the rest of us on this planet.

Consider yourself hugged, Trevor. I just hope you had the clean undies on....
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:48:33 PM »

Yeah, you're never alone here whatever your issues. I wouldn't ever feel bad to just vent because there are so many board members that will try to perk you up or give their own personal advice. I myself used to have anxiety problems Java (recluse for 2 years), I've also suffered heavily from depression and borderline personality disorder. It's good that you do have people closer to home that are concerned and have told you to get help, I used to always turn that type of thing down. Take it though and stay cool man, you'll be grand.  Thumbup

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A bit about me « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.