Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:58:19 PM
714418 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are you easily offended? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Are you easily offended?  (Read 8133 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 21, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »

Do you get offended if someone makes a racial slur, sexist remark, tells and ethnic joke, or otherwise says or does something that is "politically incorrect?"  These things generally have never bothered me if they were directed at me or my heritage.  I'm of Italian descent, and it doesn't bother me if someone tells a joke about Italians or even uses derogatory terms for Italian people.  I was also brought up Catholic (although, I haven't been to church in many years), and it doesn't bother me when people poke fun at the Pope, the Church, or whatever.  In fact, I often poke fun at these things myself.  

I do, however, feel bad when OTHER people (women, minorities, or whatever) are the brunt of negative comments . . . especially when these comments are made in a mean-spirited way rather than as "humor."  How do you feel about this stuff?  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:24:01 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »

I'm not easily offended at all.  I guess that's why I'm the quiet type at work.  I'm usually pretty casual with the way I talk, and because of that I have to really be tactful around most everyone.  It was even harder when I was religious, because I knew so many other religious people.  I wasn't very easily offended then, either.
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:33:59 PM »

I'm very difficult to offend, in the context of racist jokes, sexism, un-PC type stuff.  However, hard core racist pukes like people on Stormfront quite readily offend me.  So, basically, in day-to-day situations I'm difficult to really offend, but there are a few specific types of people and what not that can quickly offend me.  In the context of movies, I can think of very few films that have offended me.  The most recent one I recall being The Brave One, but insulted is probably more accurate than offended.  And that was because of its weak stance on its issue - it's inability to commit to either vigilantism or actual justice.

Seems to work out ok. 
Vik
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »

Nope, not at all. Except when it comes to child abuse.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »

Jokes made at mentally disabled people bother me.  Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
3mnkids

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »

I wouldn't say im offended, It p**ses me off though. I don't like racist or bigoted "jokes". I don't find them funny and if someone says one in front of me im going to call them on it.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Cthulhu

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »

No, I'm not.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »

ethics are not my personal strong suit so i give people alot of leeway on that. I am sort of anal about more basic sort of courtesies and get offended when people are rude and so forth. perhaps too easily
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »

The only thing that really offends me is stupidity and ignorance. Catharsis does not.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »

I'm not offended personally.  I do, however, dislike jokes that offend other people.  Sexist, racist, or just downright mean jokes really aren't funny.  I'm not offended by them, I just don't like them.

Though, I was making jokes about eating babies the other day with some friends...  TongueOut
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »

None of it bothers me at all. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 06:24:32 PM »

I'm not offended by anything done with genuine wit.

I am often offended, in a roundabout way, by anti-P.C. jokes.  Not because of the content of the jokes themselves, but because of the attitude behind them.  When people tell such jokes deliberately trying to offend people, then consider themselves hip and superior to offended people who "can't take a joke," I find that attitude obnoxious.  Some people want to pride themselves on the fact that they can be callous and distanced and consider the whole world a joke, and think they are therefore better than people who believe that some things are too important to joke about. 

It really depends on the attitude; as I say, if it's done with genuine wit and purpose, I'm fine with it.  But I am offended by comedians who do nothing but try to shock and offend their fellow citizens, then try to sell it as "hip".

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »

By and large, I'm pretty easygoing.  I never mind jokes if they are MEANT as jokes, but anything that is genuinely mean-spirited and hateful angers me, regardless of who it comes from.  I am a Christian, but people who just spew hate and label it as Christianity offend the heck out of me.  Those who victimize the innocent, for any reason, offend me.  And Trevor's underpants offend my nose!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »

I find offensiveness solely for the sake of offensiveness to be a major turn-off. To me, it's like someone trying to gain acceptance and favor just by doing something stupid, not because they have anything of value to contibute. I guess I'm saying I find stupidity for the sake of stupidity offensive. I also hate intolerance and people pushing their ideas, values, culture on others. I have religious family members and I respect their beliefs and so would never mock or disrespect them even though I myself am not religious just as I wouldn't like people mocking what I personally value and believe in myself.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:38:53 PM »

Some people want to pride themselves on the fact that they can be callous and distanced and consider the whole world a joke, and think they are therefore better than people who believe that some things are too important to joke about.

Believe me, you have no idea how irritating that can be.  A lot of people my age are like that, and have been like that since they were jaded teenagers.

I'm reminded of September 11th (which happened while I was in high school), where as it was happening one of my teacher's commented that if anyone said anything about how it was cool, or awesome, or anything like that, he'd throw them out the goddamn window.  You'd think such a thing wouldn't NEED to be said, but someone did indeed make a comment along those lines ("This is awesome" being pretty close to the exact quote, to my recollection).

Unfortunately, out of earshot, as I would have loved to have seen them sailing from the second story window of the class.  It was a garden down below, so the worst they'd have suffered would probably have been a broken leg.  I'd have been OK with that. 
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are you easily offended? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.