Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:23:58 PM
714453 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  List "Self-aware" horror movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: List "Self-aware" horror movies  (Read 4747 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 11:09:27 AM »

Rev, have you seen Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon?

I really wasn't expecting much from the movie, but it ended up being way better than I expected it to. Not sure if it fits you "weird movie" criteria, but it was a really good film.

No, but I've heard of it.  Might make a good review someday.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 11:14:43 AM »

There's also the spin-off of this subject applied to the topic of this site. I really don't like self-aware bad movies much. It's like going "Hey, we know this is sh*t, so that makes it awesome, right?"

Obviously, Toxic Avenger is an exception though, because it's so awesome.

I agree with the first part.  With DEAD SNOW, I became so annoyed with all the horror movie references (mainly because they kept reminding me of better, original movies!)  When the filmmakers are doing that, winking at the audience, it's like they're saying, "We know we're making a crappy film, it's a joke, see?  Please, please don't think we're incompetents."

Disagree on TOXIC AVENGER though.  Not because it was deliberately campy, it was a trailblazer in that respect.  I just don't think it's that great a movie.  And it has a lot to answer for, because basically Troma studios has been remaking THE TOXIC AVENGER for over 20 years now, never trying anything new or original.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »

Off-topic a bit, but Dark Ride, the Horrorfest 8 Films to Die For one, has a character that is a movie geek, and he ends up being the killer.
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 09:34:20 AM »

Evil Laugh is kinda "self aware", and so is Return Of The Living Dead, i think.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »

The Dead Hate the Living.  The whole movie revolves around a crew making a horror movie with a director and actor that spend a large chunk of the movie BSing about b-movies.

It gets downright annoying in that movie, too.  I like a good horror movie reference as much as the next guy, but dammit, I don't need the characters to spell it out for me.  They make so many blatant references, it's dizzying. 
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 01:33:50 AM »

Troma's The Last Horror Film (aka Fanatic). It revolves around a horror fanatic travelling to Cannes to stalk his favourite scream queen to ask her if she will star in his film, while people around her are being killed.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »

Kind of along the lines of Raffine's post about THE APE MAN, the 1959 version of THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL is rich with forshadowing, spooky atmosphere, and great perfomances by Vincent Price and Elisha Cook JR.
Vincent Price is perfect as the party host, Frederick Loren.  He invites the guests and the game begins.  
But to me it is Watson Prichard (Elisha Cook JR) who steals the movie.  He is the owner of the haunted house in question.  Twitchy and fearful,  throughout the entire movie he is talking about ghosts ... and  how all the house guests are doomed.  The dark shadows, the creepy caretakers, a screamng woman, infidelity and murder.  
Just love this one! TeddyR
I think HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL is lame (like most WILLIAM CASTLE films).  I mean I loved it as a kid, but having rewatched it after buying it on VHS I was bored!  And I've seen it on TCM since, and it's still corny.  There sure is a lot of walking up and down that corridor with all the doorways that is in no way inside FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT's ENNIS-BROWN House (used for exteriors).   Let's not forget the blind housekeeper on roller skates, the hanging rope with a mind of it's own (a neat trick if you can pull it off - eh, yer neck) and a conveniently placed pit of acid in the cellar.   Lookingup  It's bad and I'm making it sound good!   Smile
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:01:43 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 10:04:12 AM »

PANDEMONIUM (1982) is "self aware" in the horror spoof sub-genre, like an earlier SCARY MOVIE (and not as 'edgy').  Some the in-jokes are subtle (but to me VERY funny) like the music when the chick is taking the milk bath.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  List "Self-aware" horror movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.