Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 12:18:10 AM
715949 Posts in 53161 Topics by 7771 Members
Latest Member: VernMolone
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Maximum Overdrive « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Maximum Overdrive  (Read 6455 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« on: May 23, 2010, 06:36:32 PM »

okay, this movie is AWESOME! it is also very weird in a way, as in why did the comet's coma made the machines go haywire? But i'm surprised that it isn't as good as some other movies based on books, as in Fight Club and The Shawshank Redemption. what do you guys think?

yeah no.
claws
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:29:48 PM »

I think Maximum Overdrive is so-bad-so-good material. A guilty pleasure for sure with a great, kick-ass AC/DC soundtrack.
I saw this on the big screen and the audience were howling, laughing and doing a running commentary throughout the movie.
Not because it was a so good-good movie TeddyR
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:44:39 AM »

I saw this at the drive-in.  Pretty bad IMO.. but at least it had the AC/DC soundtrack, and seeing a kid get killed at the beginning was pretty cool!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
joejoeherron
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:54:42 AM »

I always enjoy this movie. It has action. It has AC/DC music. It has stuff blowing up.

I just wish I had an old army M274 "mule" with a machine gun on it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 05:03:08 AM by joejoeherron » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:27:46 AM »

I really enjoyed it.  Any movie that starts with an ATM telling a guy to f*** off has got to be good!  I thought they mixed the humor and "horror" aspects pretty well. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »

I really enjoyed it.  Any movie that starts with an ATM telling a guy to f*** off has got to be good!  

If memory serves, that was Stephen King getting told where to go by the ATM.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »

Love this movie! The scene of the baseball team getting flattened by the steamroller is burned in my mind forever since I saw it when I was young.

And I don't think it came from of a book of his, I think King wrote an original screenplay for it, directed too.

-Jimmybob

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »

I really enjoyed it.  Any movie that starts with an ATM telling a guy to f*** off has got to be good!  

If memory serves, that was Stephen King getting told where to go by the ATM.  TeddyR

I had no idea that was Mr. King himself - great cameo  BounceGiggle

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
joejoeherron
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 04:27:43 AM »

originally it was a short story in King's book "Night Shift"

Legend has it that there was a much,much, more gory scene of the kid getting run over by the steamroller. King showed this scene to George Romero,and it made Romero sick.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »

Yes, I had seen MO.  There are a lot of reality flaws in that film, but I won't go into those now.  All the machines in that film didn't go haywire.  Thinking back on MO reminds me of Terminator 3:  Rise of the Machines.  Anyways, all those machines and vehicles weren't going haywire, they were acting like they were under intelligent control and were slaughtering humans.  You had cars running people down, steam rollers crushing little leaguers, soda vending machines shooting out cans of soda like bullets (which they cannot do). planes dive bombing people and gas pumps firing diesel fuel into people's eyes.  But at the end of the movie, it mentions a UFO was shot down by a Russian weather satellite with a laser and a class 4 nuclear missile.  So that UFO was the cause of this hysteria.  But one thing bothers me, why would a weather satellite be armed with a nuclear missile?

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »

So that UFO was the cause of this hysteria. 
that's 1/2 right, at the beginning it tells us that a comet passed, at the end though, a ufo was shot down. Really, which is right? i'm going with the comet's coma because there is a better chance that maybe the tail had a higher radioactivity in it that a regular tail.

yeah no.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »

That is very unrealistic.  A comet's tail wouldn't cause machines on Earth  to kill humans.  Like I said before, those machines weren't going haywire.  They were under intelligent control.  Radiation wouldn't cause machines to do that.  The radiation would kill all the people saving those machines the extra work.

I kinda laughed at the one scene where the waitress was yelling at the machines "We made you" then she was riddled to death.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »

But one thing bothers me, why would a weather satellite be armed with a nuclear missile?

It was a Russian "weather satellite" (wink wink, nudge nudge).

I love this movie. It's funny, campy, loaded with action, and it has that great AC/DC soundtrack. I remember watching it with a bunch of guys when it first came out on video. We had a blast. I've never understood the hostility some people have toward it.

I can just imagine what that cut steamroller scene would look like. A roller going over a human body from feet to head in real life would be like the goriest tube of toothpaste you ever saw. They'd never have gotten that past the MPAA with anything less than an X.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 01:33:31 AM »

They'd never have gotten that past the MPAA with anything less than an X.

I wonder how Kevin Kline's encounter with a steamroller in A Fish Called Wanda scraped past the censors, then?  Wink TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 03:28:21 PM »

I saw this movie in the theater (I think I even went the first day it was released).  After about 20 minutes I acknowledged the fact that it was a bad movie and was not going to get any better, so I switched my mind set from "I hope this turns out to be a good movie" to "well, at least it's good for a few laughs."  I think I saw it once or twice on videotape after that, but I probably haven't seen it in at least 10 years.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Maximum Overdrive « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.