Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:37:48 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 634493 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1980 on: October 21, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »

Speakng of digital cameras, I plugged the outlit that came with mine into my computer to upload some pictures I took and it boot up as normal, which is to say a screen would pop up and give me opions for it. It took me 20 minutes to try and figure out another way to upload the,.

Recently this has been happening with my flash drive when I try and use it as well. I think one of the automatic updates my computer did screwed this up.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1981 on: October 22, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »

I cant stand what a lot of companies are doing nowadays when it comes to toys.  Lets put a random figure in a sealed box or bag and charge the public 10 bucks plus on a virtual grab bag.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1982 on: October 23, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »

How unprofessional some bone cleaners on eBay are. Most of the skulls I've bought have been good, occassionally needing a little bit of cleaning up just to get a bit of dirt off or to finish degreasing. Nothing major. The last I bought, though...advertised as a professionally cleaned possum skull. It was nice and white in the photos, so I thought it'd be ready for display. When it got here? So much grease from in the bones had leached to the surface that I could see the roots of the teeth on one side! I'm not convinced this guy did any degreasing at all (for those who don't know, it's important. All that grease coming to the surface makes the bone look dirty and can eventually stain it and turn it black). I've had to soak it in ammonia for a few days already and it's not clean yet.

Yeah, this kind of crap is how you lose business. Especially if you claim you're a professional who's been in the business for several years.
Jim H

« Reply #1983 on: October 23, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »

I cant stand what a lot of companies are doing nowadays when it comes to toys.  Lets put a random figure in a sealed box or bag and charge the public 10 bucks plus on a virtual grab bag.

Yeah, that drives me nuts as well.  I think they saw the money Magic: The Gathering and other collectible card games drag up with that business models so they copied it.  Artificial rarity used to boost prices makes me mad.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1984 on: October 24, 2012, 06:58:21 AM »

The dishwasher. Most stuff comes out spotless, but there is frequently one or two things that have a persistent bit of something stuck on. Sometimes, it's enough to run the piece through again with the next load, but not always. The part that bothers me is when I check to see how badly stuck on the food is, and the slightest touch of my finger takes it off. What the hell? It's been through two cycles of being sprayed with almost boiling hot water and a pretty generous amount of strong detergent. It's even been positioned so it catches the spray squarely. And that has failed to remove something that will come off with the touch of a finger?

For that matter, I also get annoyed with people who simply unload their dishwasher without bothering to look at whether anything is still stuck on. I give everything that comes out a quick inspection. Takes a second. If something isn't spotless, I run it through again. If it still isn't, I give it a scrub myself. But I've eaten at other people's houses where you can't find one piece of cutlery in the drawer that doesn't have a bit of something stuck to it. Are these people blind, or do they just not give a damn about using knives and forks with bits of old food baked onto them?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1985 on: October 24, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »

the slightest touch of my finger takes it off. What the hell? It's been through two cycles of being sprayed with almost boiling hot water and a pretty generous amount of strong detergent. It's even been positioned so it catches the spray squarely. And that has failed to remove something that will come off with the touch of a finger?

I suspect that in at least some of those cases, the bit was not still stuck on the item, but freely "floating" around in the appliance and RE-deposited near the end of the cycle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1986 on: October 24, 2012, 09:11:32 AM »

the slightest touch of my finger takes it off. What the hell? It's been through two cycles of being sprayed with almost boiling hot water and a pretty generous amount of strong detergent. It's even been positioned so it catches the spray squarely. And that has failed to remove something that will come off with the touch of a finger?

I suspect that in at least some of those cases, the bit was not still stuck on the item, but freely "floating" around in the appliance and RE-deposited near the end of the cycle.

This is usually a piece of something (or a streak or a film) that stays on after two trips through the machine. It was definitely on there to begin with.

---------------------
ulthar

« Reply #1987 on: October 24, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »

No, I mean on there, then knocked off, then re-deposited.  If it's that easy to flick off with a finger, the jets of water are probably knocking it off...in at least some cases.  The general "crud" in the dishwasher during the wash and rinse cycles does not leave immediately or with 100% certainty.

YMMV. 

But, I've got to agree...dishwasher performance is woefully inadequate much of the time.  Years spent without one have taught me they are often not worth the effort..in the time it takes to load and unload, especially with 'retries,' I can hand wash them and just be done with it.

Our present one does something I've never had a problem with before.  A lot of items in the top rack (cups, bowls, etc), get blown over so they are right side up and them fill with cruddy water and stay that way.  The "jets" hitting top rack stuff hit from the bottom rather than the top (like the one in our last house, thus keeping the force downward).

Yeah, it's a lot of fun re-washing 30% of what was in there...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1988 on: October 24, 2012, 09:58:32 AM »

Getting paper money that smells...bad.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1989 on: October 24, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »

No, I mean on there, then knocked off, then re-deposited.  If it's that easy to flick off with a finger, the jets of water are probably knocking it off...in at least some cases.  The general "crud" in the dishwasher during the wash and rinse cycles does not leave immediately or with 100% certainty.

YMMV. 

But, I've got to agree...dishwasher performance is woefully inadequate much of the time.  Years spent without one have taught me they are often not worth the effort..in the time it takes to load and unload, especially with 'retries,' I can hand wash them and just be done with it.

Our present one does something I've never had a problem with before.  A lot of items in the top rack (cups, bowls, etc), get blown over so they are right side up and them fill with cruddy water and stay that way.  The "jets" hitting top rack stuff hit from the bottom rather than the top (like the one in our last house, thus keeping the force downward).

Yeah, it's a lot of fun re-washing 30% of what was in there...

I've managed to get nearly everything clean every time, but it requires a particular system of loading, so that the water can both reach and drain from everything, and items that need more water pressure (pots,tall glasses, etc.) are put where they'll get it (pretty much anywhere but the corners). Light stuff, that might flip over, go in the corners. And I don't overload the machine. If it takes two less-than-full loads, so be it. It works well.

Then my wife loads the dishwasher and I'd swear she couldn't do a worse job if she opened the door and pushed everything off the counter. Things are packed tight, everything's leaning against everything else, bowls are positioned so they don't drain fully. Some things are shielding each other from the spray, while the dirty side of other things is turned away from the spray. Some stuff seems to be just tossed in on top or wherever it will fit. And she always tries to fit everything in one load, no matter how much there is.

I've explained how I do it. My wife is fully capable of understanding the few simple rules. She has the spatial sense to know whether the water can reach something, and it really isn't any more difficult to do it right. She just doesn't do it. And if I press the point, and maybe explain that I will have to put half the dishes through again, she starts mocking and cites the halfassed job I did on something else, as if that makes me unqualified to know how to load a dishwasher. Fine, maybe I rush through the dusting and sweeping up, but this is about getting the best performance out of a machine. Apples and oranges, as far as I'm concerned.

The funny thing is, she's told me her mother used to tell her she was terrible at loading a dishwasher. Even funnier, I've seen how her mother loads a dishwasher, and it ain't much better.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:42:37 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1990 on: October 24, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »

Trying to use the online White Pages (which advertizes itself as "free"), only to find that I MUST present a credit-card number to access the information!

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #1991 on: October 25, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »

Getting paper money that smells...bad.

No kidding! As a cashier I get money that smells like the bottom of the lake,like a mechanic's greasy hands or the ever popular soaked in air freshener....wonder what they've been doing with it? TeddyR

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #1992 on: November 19, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »

Today I was supposed to have a phone interview for a position that I was not comfortable with in the least because of the company, but I need the money. So I got up early because the guy who was supposed to call me ever said when he'd call. He never called.

Hatred

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
ulthar

« Reply #1993 on: November 19, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »

Maybe he sensed you did not like his company and did not want to waste his time.

--Real Genius
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #1994 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »

Maybe he sensed you did not like his company and did not want to waste his time.

He emailed me yesterday saying he'd call so..... ?

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.