Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:11:00 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 634615 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #720 on: November 10, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »

Being asked everyday via email if I want a bigger penis.
I would hook up with you if you did...um...I...um...didn't mean to say that.   Bluesad

Promises, promises.    TongueOut

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #721 on: November 10, 2010, 07:56:21 AM »

People who ensure me "oh he won't hurt you" when their giant dog barks feverishly at me while showing it's teeth. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #722 on: November 10, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »

People who ensure me "oh he won't hurt you" when their giant dog barks feverishly at me while showing it's teeth. 

Oh I hate that too. I feel like I'm standing next to a ticking timebomb and some guy is telling me "Oh, don't worry, it's not going to go off for another two hours yet."

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #723 on: November 14, 2010, 07:42:55 AM »

Dr. Phil who is a self righteous hillbilly dipsh!t who hates on men so he can snag Oprah's target audience. Oh and shouldn't a doctor say more than "You gotta problem and need help" to someone with a problem that needs help?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:47:39 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #724 on: November 14, 2010, 05:02:12 PM »

Here's one that I usually think of on Sundays. Not really a major peeve, but something that jumps out at me whenever I hear it. The hymns at church are full of really bad rhyming. Rhyming "lord" and "word" immediately springs to mind, but there are others. Sometimes, being the smartass that I am, and drowned out by everyone else, I will sing it so it rhymes. Besides the rhyming, there are little things like trying to make words like "heaven" and "given" into one syllable by sticking in an apostrophe, so they can fit on one note. You can't pronounce them as one syllable. All the apostrophe does is make them sound wierd as people awkwardly try to pronounce them as one syllable. This is especially true when you have to sing "heav'n" as one syllable for more than a beat. Just try singing a two-syllable word as one syllable while holding the note for four beats.

Heard the other really bad one this morning. "Love" and "move." I don't care how they're spelled, those words don't rhyme. Not even a slant rhyme. They're pronounced nothing alike.

Of course, I sang it so it rhymed. Loove. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #725 on: November 15, 2010, 03:47:11 PM »

I really don't like Rob Zombie. I respect his popularity to a degree, but to me, he's just an overrated metal musician and filmmaker (the latter I use loosely). His music is decent, but he's in no way one of the greatest songwriters (at least not to me) that metal magazines and his legions of douchebag fans claim he is. Most of all, I'm really tired of people endlessly praising those P.O.S. movies that Rob churns out. They're not triumphs in the horror genre, they're complete trash.

Don't get me started on his fans (not all, but roughly 90% of them.)

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #726 on: November 15, 2010, 04:03:38 PM »

Rob Zombie gave us Captain Spaulding. Other than that, he hasn't impressed me all that much.

---------------------
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #727 on: November 16, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »

I did a search and did not see this brought up yet, but if  it has, I apologize.

People that "review" movies they have not seen Grind My Gears.

My most recent example comes from the comments section of the GODZILLA (1998) recap on The Agony Booth.

User "Damion" writes:

I'm tired of fan-wanking! Godzilla movies suck! This [1998 version] is the BEST Godzilla movie PERIOD (production values, acting, story, EVERYTHING).

I'm tired of people saying [GODZILLA 1998] is a WORSE movie than the others.

please, for the love of God, stop saying that [the Toho Godzilla films] are BETTER films! Because either you're deaf, blind, or overly-nostalgic...possibly all three - because, in all valid, non-Appeal to emotion arguments, they are NOT!

which prompted user "thegoon" to reply:

No. The first Godzilla movie is better directed, acted, and written than this movie..and I'm not even a fan of giant monster movies.

And then we get this gem from Mr. "Damion:"

I haven't seen the original, but that's the first I've heard those statements made about it. I gotta check it out then.

Oh. My. Word.

I usually avoid comments on most sites for this very reason...youtube, imdb (unless a thread looks REALLY interesting), etc...but I thought the comments for the GODZILLA 1998 recap might be funny.

Instead, I find this.  Arrrgh.  Doesn't that FACT nullify everything he said before?  What was the point...rag on movies you have not seen to defend one you did that everyone else is saying is worse than the original, just to be FOUND OUT you were full of crap all along?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #728 on: November 16, 2010, 09:07:07 PM »

Working with large groups when it comes to planning events.  People tend to get carried away on ideas and the ones that talk to most usually have no execution skills.   They're the ones that say, "Oh we can do this and that blah blah blah" and when it comes time to set it up they are nowhere around. 

In my experience ideas go from simple and strong to a gigantic clusterf*ck of input which ends up messy in the end.  I prefer to work alone or with one other person.  Things oddly end up being better that way all the way through. 

DarkSider's Realm

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #729 on: November 16, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »

Working with large groups when it comes to planning events.  People tend to get carried away on ideas and the ones that talk to most usually have no execution skills.   They're the ones that say, "Oh we can do this and that blah blah blah" and when it comes time to set it up they are nowhere around. 

In my experience ideas go from simple and strong to a gigantic clusterf*ck of input which ends up messy in the end.  I prefer to work alone or with one other person.  Things oddly end up being better that way all the way through. 

Even on small committees, there are people who just never get out of the brainstorming stage. Always trying to add things and change things when the time for that is past, the plan is in place and they should be concentrating on making it happen. Sorry, but when the budget is set and people are rounding up volunteers, sponsors, equipment or whatever, that is not the time to be coming up with ideas. And if you have a committee full of people like that, you end up with lots and lots of ideas that never happen, and an event that's hastily cobbled together at the last minute. There's a time for planning and a time for implementation, and if you never finalize the plan and stick to it, you might as well not have one.

What is even more annoying is when somebody casually tosses out a new idea for something that is already being pulled together. Doesn't even occur to them that doing something different at that point would waste a bunch of effort by other people who are doing what they're supposed to be doing.

---------------------
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #730 on: November 17, 2010, 12:24:01 AM »

In the words of Despair.com . . .

"Meetings.  Because none of us is as dumb as all of us."

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #731 on: November 17, 2010, 07:58:51 AM »

I hear ya bro.  The people who have the most ideas during the planning stage are almost always the same ones who have no intention of contributing to the execution stage.  Of course you never find that out until they're conspicuously absent when the actual work needs to be done.

Just worthless busybodies who like to hear themselves talk.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #732 on: November 17, 2010, 08:56:06 AM »

The people who have the most ideas during the planning stage are almost always the same ones who have no intention of contributing to the execution stage.  Of course you never find that out until they're conspicuously absent when the actual work needs to be done.

Just worthless busybodies who like to hear themselves talk.

I'll take that a few steps further: they are also the ones who
1) complain the loudest when they feel let down (IE somebody else did not jump in to do it/make it happen for them),
2) give the most cutting negative criticism after the fact (they always know how it 'should' have been done, better),
and
3) are pushy about being the public face of success: the first to step up and take the handshakes and praise and picture-taking that comes after a successful undertaking (which they did not contribute any real effort to).   Hatred

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #733 on: November 17, 2010, 09:15:45 AM »

On the flipside, something I find really satisfying is when somebody joins a committee because they think they can do it better, and quickly figures out that their ideas are nothing new, just impractical.

---------------------
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #734 on: November 17, 2010, 09:27:48 AM »

I'll add this too to the mix.  People who get up in arms if HEAVEN FORBID you don't ask for their input on planning an event.  I did an event at work once and we planned it between myself and one other person.  Certain people blew a fuse that I did not ask for their help and held a grudge weeks if not months later.  Get the hell over it!  The best part is we easily pulled off a successful event without a bunch of overblown nonsense that comes with a big committee.  

DarkSider's Realm

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.